Initial thoughts on beta

erikl
erikl
Community Member

We just got into the beta, and a few thoughts / features that we've run in to.

1. It doesn't seem that there is a way to add or modify a password from the web UI. This is really difficult for admins or users that may not have the actual mac app yet.
  2. Safari needs to be supported. We're a full mac shop and not everyone uses chrome, etc.
  3. What's the state of the iOS app for teams? I couldn't see a way to add the team. Is this part of the pro feature set or would we need to be part of a test flight beta tester group?

Keep up the good work because we really like what we see so far. I'm interested to know what pricing / cost of apps will be for a team model.

1Password Version: 5.5-beta16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thank you for trying out the beta, @erikl !

1. We are working on it and it will be available later.
    2. I agree and if Safari does not have WebCrypto support in the next few months then we will have to work around it somehow. It will be sad and slow but there is not much else we can do besides begging the Safari team.
    3. The last I heard, 1Password for iOS version 6.1 was in review. We hope it will be available for download soon.
  • erikl
    erikl
    Community Member

Awesome that's great to know that you're already working on some of those things. Keep up the awesome work!

• Thanks @erikl, keep the feedback coming. :)

Rick

• colinstuart
    colinstuart
    Community Member

Hi rickfillon and roustem,

Adding to initial thoughts:

1. Some folks said their invitations went to spam in gmail.
    2. I can't add invited users to vaults until after they finished setting up their account and get confirmed. This is kind of a PITA for onboarding teams - rather than just setting everyone up once, I have to go in many many times to confirm people as they sign up, and then add them to vaults, and then inform them that they've been added to the vault. Be nice to do everything in one step on the admin-end and have it work.
    3. The onboarding process and getting set up with the desktop app is pretty cumbersome, and was even confusing to some engineers - our non-tech folk have to have it done for them. This is particularly problematic for folks who already were using 1Password for work in their primary vault, and want to migrate passwords to the Teams app, and delete or switch their Primary vault - no simple way to to do that.
    4. Would be nice to be able to have a pw across multiple vaults (Sometimes the taxonomy makes it easier to do it that way), and change them in all. Maybe you support that already, haven't checked.
    5. We just trialled LastPass for enterprise, but hate their UX. They do have a couple of features I'd love to see in 1Password, though. For instance - we're going to roll a solution out to our entire company, with multiple teams with many different password needs. Would like to be able to group people into teams or user groups, so we can assign vaults to user groups quickly.

Thanks for your time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It doesn't seem that there is a way to add or modify a password from the web UI. This is really difficult for admins or users that may not have the actual mac app yet.

@erikl: I"m really looking forward to being able to edit in the web interface as well...but be sure to give them a nudge to grab the 1Password for Mac beta in the mean time!

Some folks said their invitations went to spam in gmail.

@colinstuart: I'm not sure that's something we have control over, but we'll certainly take a look at the content to see if there's a way to avoid 'triggering' the spam filter. But at the end of the day the biggest help will be Gmail users themselves marking it as 'not spam' to hopefully improve the heuristics. Oddly enough, the emails went straight to my inbox.

I can't add invited users to vaults until after they finished setting up their account and get confirmed. This is kind of a PITA for onboarding teams - rather than just setting everyone up once, I have to go in many many times to confirm people as they sign up, and then add them to vaults, and then inform them that they've been added to the vault. Be nice to do everything in one step on the admin-end and have it work.

I think it's safe to say that we're on the same page here. The invitation/confirmation process is something we'll continue to improve over time.

The onboarding process and getting set up with the desktop app is pretty cumbersome, and was even confusing to some engineers - our non-tech folk have to have it done for them. This is particularly problematic for folks who already were using 1Password for work in their primary vault, and want to migrate passwords to the Teams app, and delete or switch their Primary vault - no simple way to to do that.

I agree. This is another area we'll be working on over the beta period. But to be clear, we're intentionally not making it easy for everyone to delete their existing vaults at this stage. Better to hang on to those for now. After all, this is only the first week(!) of the beta, and there's no need to commit one way or the other without thoroughly test driving it first!

Would be nice to be able to have a pw across multiple vaults (Sometimes the taxonomy makes it easier to do it that way), and change them in all. Maybe you support that already, haven't checked.

Currently vaults are discrete and it isn't possible to manage items, but sharing of individual items is something we'd like to add in the future.

We just trialled LastPass for enterprise, but hate their UX. They do have a couple of features I'd love to see in 1Password, though. For instance - we're going to roll a solution out to our entire company, with multiple teams with many different password needs. Would like to be able to group people into teams or user groups, so we can assign vaults to user groups quickly.

Right now the only 'group' supported is 'your team', but we'd like to add more flexibility here too. Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.