1Password shuts down after upgrading to El Capitan today.

Options

I upgraded to El Capitan today. Now, when I open 1 Password, and click on an item, it shuts down and gives me an error message that says 1Password quit unexpectedly.

I am using Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)

I am on a MacBook Pro.

How do I figure out what version I'm running?

The error message is huge but I copied and pasted just the beginning of it here:
Process: 1Password [4651]
Path: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password
Identifier: ws.agile.1Password
Version: 3.8.22 (32010)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: 1Password [4651]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-11-06 13:19:56.505 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.1 (15B42)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 03DD2708-82F2-0909-AA2C-B8EB4F029BE3

Time Awake Since Boot: 5600 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x18:
-->
__TEXT 0000000100000000-00000001001cb000 [ 1836K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password

Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: _updateFrame:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 3.8.22
OS Version: OSX El Capitan
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password shuts down after El Capitan update

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kbromley2014,

Knowing that you're running El Capitan and 1Password 3 for Mac is pretty much all we need to know.

1Password 3 for Mac was last worked when Mountain Lion was the new OS X and sadly the changes to OS X over the last couple of versions has had an impact on 1Password 3 for Mac. It might be that deleting the 1Password application and downloading a fresh copy will sort out this specific issue but there are others. I don't like suggesting the only real fix is a paid upgrade, I would much prefer if people were enticed through the additional features and various improvements we've made but I think we've reached a point where 1Password 3 for Mac is no longer viable with the latest version of OS X. You can read a bit on this in our 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X post but to regain a good experience I genuinely believe the best solution is to move to 1Password 5 for Mac. We briefly cover the two ways of purchasing 1Password 5 in that post so I think it would be a good place to start.

As for the immediate crashing, the following steps would be how to replace one copy with a new one on the off-chance that it helps.

1. Quit both 1Password.
    2. Drag the 1Password application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. Please don't use an app cleaner.
    3. Reboot your Mac.
    4. Download 1Password again from the Legacy section of our AgileBits Download page. Move it to your /Applications/ folder.

Even if this works I would check out the thread for other things you might experience.

• kbromley2014
    kbromley2014
    Community Member
    Options

I have my whole life in there, so will upgrade now. Thank you for the response!

• kbromley2014
    kbromley2014
    Community Member
    Options

I just bought the newer version but don't see how to get my old info into the new version. It is asking me to choose my vault in Drop box. I have no idea what that means or where to find it. Can you help?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kbromley2014,

1Password 5 really should have automatically picked up the old Agile Keychain so can you create a diagnostic report for us please, this guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

That will identify all the vaults/Agile Keychains on your system and allow us to give you precise steps on how to proceed. It should have found just the one Agile Keychain and simply asked you for your Master Password. The diagnostic report should sort all of this out :smile:

This discussion has been closed.