How can I delete an old iCloud vault for which I don't remember the password?

Options
david_fs
david_fs
Community Member

I am new to 1Password and created a vault on iCloud a few weeks ago and don't remember the password. I have created a new vault and added info in it on my iPhone but when I try to sync it to iCloud it wants to merge data with the old vault but won't do it without the old password. So how can I delete the old vault and get on with the new one? Thanks for your help.

Dave

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: iOS 9.1
Sync Type: Icloud
Referrer: ug:ios/existing-teams, ug:ios/using-1password, ug:ios/creating-items, ug:ios/create-a-login-item, kb:icloud-error-data-not-found

Comments

• Hi @david_fs ,

You can delete the iCloud vault by going to Settings->Advanced, scrolling down to the bottom and tapping Erase iCloud Data. Please make sure you want to do this, as this action can not be undone.

Regards,
    Kevin

• Nic_Knudsen
    Nic_Knudsen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

I'm having the same issue. I don't see Settings->Advanced on my iPhone. What other option do I have to delete first vault? I can't merge them since I don't remember the password.

Thanks,
    Nicole

• Ben
    Options

Hi Nicole (@Nic_Knudsen),

You can find a full set of instructions for deleting iCloud data here:

Mac: https://support.1password.com/icloud-remove-data/mac.html
    iOS: https://support.1password.com/icloud-remove-data/ios.html

Please note that on iOS you may need to create a new empty vault, if prompted, before you'll be able to access these settings. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Ben

• martinn16
    martinn16
    Community Member
    Options

When I do this on mac I get the error "The operation couldn’t be completed. (CKErrorDomain error 9.)"

What should I do next? I can't reset it on iOS because I already deleted the vault that I forgot my password to and can't go into settings.

The process to delete a vault due to a forgotten password is way harder than it should be, please fix your program!!!!!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@martinn16: Sorry for the trouble! To be clear, we don't want to make it too easy for people to wipe out their data. And in tour case when that's exactly what you want to do, it's difficult when iCloud gives an error. :(

But I believe I have the solution:

1. Delete 1Password for iOS
    2. Install a fresh copy from the App Store
    3. Setup the app with a new vault, but make sure iCloud is disabled
    4. Go into 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase iCloud data

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each device and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Cloud Keychain, and Sync

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• martinn16
    martinn16
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the info. I've used Dropbox instead for my new vault and everything is working ok so far. The trouble started when I got back from holiday recently and forgot all my passwords, even the 'easy' to remember ones :/ I like that 1Password at least doesn't lock you out if you get the master password wrong many times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome!

It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.