Trouble looming for OneDrive users

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I started back then with 25GB SkyDrive. That then became OneDrive 15GB main + 10GB loyalty + 15GB camera roll. Starting early 2016, Microsoft has decided to wipe 10GB off the main storage + remove camera roll entirely. People like me are left with 15GB Total now.

All because some idiot abusers saw fit to upload 75GB into OneDrive! Not a typo. Read about it below:

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Aye. Definitely troubling to have this sort of reversal, but I think this is a bit overblown. OneDrive is still incredibly competitive when it comes to cost. 1TB costs 10$ per month with Dropbox or iCloud, but it's 7$ per month with OneDrive and includes Office365.

That said, OneDrive isn't available everywhere I need it either, so cost isn't the only factor. But if Microsoft hadn't overpromised in the first place they'd look a lot better right now. :(

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member

All because some idiot abusers saw fit to upload 75GB into OneDrive! Not a typo. Read about it below:

Actually, that is a typo. They uploaded 75TB.

• They uploaded 75TB.

Nice!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Wow! I should really proofread before posting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ha, no problem. I've been following the coverage myself, and I didn't even notice. I think the point still stands, and once you're talking about volumes of that magnitude it's hard to even really comprehend. My wife tells me I'm crazy, but I probably have only about a dozen worth of storage across all my hardware. So clearly I need to step it up. ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

You do know what they say, that things expand to fill what ever space you have? It's almost expected! :) @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:crazy:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@bwoodruff, OneDrive users like myself, who have never exceeded the limit , are now discovering ourselves at the short end of the stick because of the abusers. I've had no interest in Microsoft Office after Office 2003, before Office introduced the Ribbon.

I never took up the offer for Office 365 in 2015.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. Yet another case of some people ruining it for others. This is why many countries have pay toilets, I think. But to be fair, Microsoft probably shouldn't have overpromised something they couldn't feasibly deliver in the first place. Ah well. :(

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

How right you are.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

People get all excited about being right, but I've found that often it's really a downer. :unamused:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

..... often it's really a downer

You can say that again.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2015

Often it's really a downer.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That certainly lightened the mood. Thanks, guys! :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

I sometimes wonder, in all seriousness, is Agilebita serious enough? I am joking, of course! You do a great service.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Agilebits. Slip of the keyboard. :(.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Haha no problem. Thank you! We take security very seriously, but we also try to have a positive outlook to balance that out, since to do otherwise is a recipe for insanity. ;)

This discussion has been closed.