Safari extension won't install on El Capitan

Options
Kirk_Davis
Kirk_Davis
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

After downloading the extension and double clicking the follow message appeared: Safari can't install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension 1password.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4.safairextz
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, ug:mac/create-an-item, kb:diagnostics

Comments

• Kirk_Davis
    Kirk_Davis
    Community Member
    Options

Uninstalling the extension and reinstalling resolved the issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kirk_Davis,

Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm sorry that we didn't get to you in time to be of any help.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

• Babs237
    Babs237
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem but have tried uninstalling the extension, rebooting, removing all safari extensions...still have the same result. I can't think of anything else to try and would welcome any suggestions.

• Hey @Babs237! Could you give us a bit more info about your setup?

That will give us a better idea of what's going on. :) Thanks!

• Babs237
    Babs237
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I didn't supply the info first time, I was feeling a bit frustrated from trying to get the instal to work!

Using 1Password 5, 5.4.1
    OS X 10.11.1
    Downloaded extension first from gallery & then from agile bits web site, but the outcome was the same.

Hope that helps with the diagnosis.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Babs237,

Can I ask, is it only our extension that Safari is refusing to install or is it any extension? if you need one to test with I feel confident in trusting Ghostery as an extension you can trust, even if it's just to test installing before you remove it.

If it seems to be a general issue then the following might help.

Wiping Safari's extensions

To start make sure Safari is not opened.

Preference plist

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to your Trash.

Extension files

1. Like above, open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted folder to your Trash.

Safari Extensions List

1. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/.
    2. Search on the word safari and you should have 3 entries in the results.
    3. You want to right click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.

After all of that reboot your Mac and you'll need to go through the steps of installing your extensions again. With a little luck whatever got messed up was in there and the 1Password extension will now properly install.

I've seen a few profiles get messed up for who knows what reason and this completely wipes the files relating to extensions in Safari. This has worked quite well in a number of situations, it might help you too. Let us know how you get along.

• Babs237
    Babs237
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, not good news. I followed your instructions exactly and after the reboot your extension was the first one i tried to add but the result was the same. I got a grey screen with a list of what it could do (3 items) but nothing else. I went on to add a Norton safe extension which executed perfectly.On the Extensions page when i click on 1password it says it is already installed but it is not in the list of extensions shown in system preferences. Can you think of anything else to try or do i just abandon the idea?

• fwehman
    fwehman
    Community Member
    Options

It worked for me. The extension is working now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Babs237,

So Safari, with a blank extensions database is refusing to install the 1Password Safari Extension and 1Password says it is already installed? Something very odd is going on indeed.

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com and in the subject can you mark it FAO: LittleBobbyTables as I will definitely want to look into this myself.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fwehman,

Great to hear somebody had some success! :smile:

• Babs237
    Babs237
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again! After an over night shutdown Safari has decided to show the 1password extension! Many thanks for your help and patience!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Babs237,

Hopefully it decides to behave now but we won't be closing this thread any time soon so if it acts up please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.