New problem with 1PW5 security & El Capitan

Options
mtnbeach
mtnbeach
Community Member

Hi, I'm having ongoing issues with 1PW5 & El Capitan 10.11.1 on a Mac.

a) Previously posted one problem here (auto submit): https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/247140#Comment_247140 - which is still a problem.

Now I have another, as follows:

b) My 1PW5 & Safari extension will not log out to secure my app/ extension & it's contents, when I shut down my browser. If I Quit or force quit Safari, normally it would request my password again to login. Now it doesn't and both stay open & unlocked.

Note: Prior to this happening today, my Safari kept hanging when I tried to bookmark anything. I had to force quit repeatedly. This bookmarking problem has cleared up now ( & not due to anything I'm aware of doing) but my 1PWs are not working securely like before.

Any help & suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OS 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mtnbeach,

As there is the other thread for the first issue we'll continue the conversation going there.

Now quitting or even force quitting Safari shouldn't be causing 1Password to lock so I'd actually call the previous behaviour abnormal compared to what you're seeing now. 1Password can be manually locked using either the menu option 1Password > Lock from the main 1Password window or clicking the cog in the top right hand corner of the 1Password mini menu to open the submenu and selecting Lock menu option there or lastly the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘L. In terms of automated locking there are a number of Auto-lock settings in the Security tab of 1Password's preferences. In general if you're finding the need to force quit on a regular basis something sounds a bit broken. Hopefully the Auto-lock settings can be tweaked to your preferences.

I hope that helps a bit but it may be your Mac needs a bit of TLC if Safari is misbehaving as badly as you describe. Do you run any kind of third party software whose purpose is to monitor or block anything browser related? This list could include third party software firewalls, anti-virus software, parental control software, VPN, proxies or in some cases even ad blockers depending on the level that they work. It might also be worth seeing if Safari behaves any better if you disable all extensions and slowly add them back.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables & thx again. :)

Still have the other problem re: Auto-submit irregularity but will leave that off here.

/
    Hmmn.... Interesting re: 'quitting Safari shouldn't be causing 1PW to lock...". Now I'm confused.

I just tried this right now (desktop) - Quit Safari, & 1PW locked (as it did before), which requires login to 1PW to reopen.

Q: Am I correct that you're saying this is abnormal? :(

1Password can be manually locked using either the menu option 1Password > Lock from the main 1Password window or clicking the cog in the top right hand corner of the 1Password mini menu to open the submenu and selecting Lock menu option there or lastly the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘L.

Understood. No problem with the above.

In terms of automated locking there are a number of Auto-lock settings in the Security tab of 1Password's preferences.

I have all "Auto Lock" boxes checked. I'll monitor this auto-lock issue, along with the auto-submit irregularity & report back. If it's just minor (e.g.) having to click the button(s) manually, I may have to just do that unless it's a 1PW glitch/ incompatibility that gets patched.

In general if you're finding the need to force quit on a regular basis something sounds a bit broken....it may be your Mac needs a bit of TLC if Safari is misbehaving as badly as you describe..."

I've tried turning off my other extensions & it doesn't seem to matter. Will check & monitor this.

Yes, I think my computer now needs TLC, since the El Capitan upgrade + 1PW5 upgrade, particularly with Safari problems. Force quitting & problems with bookmarking are big negatives.

Note: My Mac had other new problems as a result of the El Capitan upgrade (affected Mail, iCloud sync) which I fixed/ resolved. The Safari erratic behavior started at these upgrades ( OSX + 1PW5) & hasn't resolved. Separately or additionally, it's unclear whether these 1PW problems are due to Safari/ El Capitan glitches, or with a glitch with 1PW.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @mtnbeach,

Have we asked you for a diagnostic report at all recently? The reason I ask is I'm thinking 1Password mini is crashing for some reason why Safari is quit and that would cause the vault to lock as 1Password mini controls that. If 1Password mini isn't an active process it would mean your vault needs to be unlocked again once it has reloaded.

If we haven't asked before then I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables & thanks again.

No, you haven't asked for that. Two questions before I do send:

1) The email you provide above, differs from the a) hyperlink instructions (support+mac@agilebits.com) & b) what the Diagnostic Report "Mail link" button creates within the Troubleshooting Diagnostics is (support@agilebits.com). Which of the three is correct?

2) I launched the 1PW5 Troubleshooting app and its created a 29 MB of hidden folders & files ( private\var....), and just quickly looking at some of the text files - shows a lot of information even back to 2014. Are there any Passwords or private info that may be transmitted in this report?

Thanks in advance & for your patience.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mtnbeach,

I'm glad you asked, if you're unsure at all then we want to the chance to help reassure that whatever choice you make is one you're comfortable with.

Regarding the email address. We have a lot of addresses and they help filter things into various locations. The email address I supplied helps indicate that you're to a user with a brand new issue but a user whom we've already been working with. Don't worry though, no matter which email address you go with (they are all active) they all end up in our ticketing system.

Now I'm not entirely sure what is being stored in the folder you found but that doesn't sound like what is sent to us. To give you a better idea of what is exactly being sent try the following. Once you've created the diagnostic report you should see the following window.

If you click on the file icon that I've circled it will open a Finder window pointing directly at the diagnostic report and should look a little like this.

The ZIP file is what will be sent and the folder is the unencrypted copy. You can look at exactly what we'll be looking at by loading the 1Password4.html that is inside that folder. No passwords will be transmitted but in terms of private information it depends on what you personally deem as private as I would say this is down to the individual. We do try to limit what is sent and reviewed by us, the last thing we want is a massive data grab as it won't help in troubleshooting and can serve no good purpose as a result. You should find this folder is a lot smaller in size. I suspect the stuff in the folder you found might include a number of scripts or whatnot, decompressed by the troubleshooting application and I would assume will be deleted by the various OS X scripts that purge temporary files on a regular basis.

If this doesn't put you at ease please do say and we can get you more information. the diagnostic report is human readable in a browser though so you'll be able to see exactly what is being sent.

1pt.png 121.9K
    dr.png 69.9K
  • mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again @littlebobbytables :)

Okay thanks for clarifying on all this & your prompt attention to this all. I see the html info & I don't see anything privacy-wise that concerns met. I'll forward the report to the email you suggested & await further instructions.

The only thing that surprises me on first look is differences with some of the "1Password Mac App Store Summary\ security" settings vs. the "Website Summary" and desktop ( in the app). The latter shows "lock on" (ie) Yes but this report shows "no" for some of the two (former noted above).

Anyway - I'll email the report & see what your team says.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtnbeach: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: TWH-25816-666

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables, @brenty, Steve & the Agile Support Team,

Thanks for the detailed advice [ticket #TWH-25816-666] - You guys are awesome! Best. Support. Ever. ! Seriously. The instructions were very detailed, clear & simple to understand, and you guys quickly gave assistance ( online & by email). I think it was successful in fixing my problem. :)

At the moment the Auto-Fill & Submit seems to be working & I'll monitor it the next while for any erratic behavior. I'll update you if I find it acting weird again. The glitches with Safari after El Capitan upgrade are still happening but could be/ are likely separate. (Damn El Capitan!) If only Apple were as good w/ their Support!

Cheers & thanks again. Much appreciated.

• @mtnbeach On behalf of the team, you are most welcome. We're celebrating here as mission accomplished! Please do keep in touch about things. We're always happy to help you out. :) Have a wonderful day.

• mtnbeach
    mtnbeach
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @penderworth - Thanks to you too! :) Will do - Have a great day & weekend. Keep up the great work.

• Will do. :+1: :glasses:

This discussion has been closed.