Wendy Appleseed [Demo Vault]

Options
Starflyer
Starflyer
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

I'm running the latest version of 1Password for Mac on my iPad, my iPhone and my MBA. I'm away from home base and don't have my MBA with me. I opened 1Password on my iPhone and see what appears to be "merged" passwords from someone called wendy@appleseed.com or just wendy.h.appleseed. Several of "her" password files are the same as my (ie facebook). I'm VERY concerned that others (like this so-called wendy) have access to my 1Password files, especially my financial files. I guess I'm going to have to change several password just to be on the safe side.

Is this possilbe. Anyone know how this could happen? So far I only see "wendy..." in my iPhone 6 S 1Password folder. It hasn't synced with my iPad as of yet. It's a bad situation because my laptop in home and I could deal with changing my passwords much easier than from my iPad.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

You are seeing entries from the Demo vault, which you probably activated in the past and forgot. The latest version of 1Password for iOS now shows all vaults by default. The data you're describing is the dummy data in that demo vault. You can suppress it in the setting for the iOS application, if you want to.

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Hawkmoth,

THANKS a lot. I must have hit the dummy demo vault option by mistake. I must say I was concerned when some of my financial sites showed up with "Wendy". I was getting ready to change several passwords before I got your note above.

Again, THANKS, I can sleep easier tonight.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Starflyer,

Sorry for the scare! Our pal Wendy Appleseed is harmless and fictional, but I could certainly see how she could startle you by showing up (seemingly) uninvited! I'm glad hawkmoth was able to set your mind at ease and help you safely banish Wendy from your iPhone.

Hopefully 1Password won't give you any more nightmares, but we'll be here to help if you need us. :)

• Jramsey
    Jramsey
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same experience as the user above. How is Wendy Appleseed suppressed on my iPhone? I see this as a bad experience. Regardless of whether this is simply a demo account, it erodes my confidence that my account is secure.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@Jramsey - The developers will make a change in the next update so that the Demo vault does not appear in the all vaults view. It never appears in the first place, unless the user picks an option to have it created locally or syncs it from the desktop, where the user also would have created it.

In the meantime, you can delete it by going to the 1Password Settings > Vaults > Demo and tapping the option to Delete Vault.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jramsey,

I'm so sorry to hear that this has lowered your confidence in 1Password. The demo vault was created so that users could play around in 1Password without damaging their own data, and show off the awesomeness of 1Password without giving up any of their own secrets. As Hawkmoth says, it doesn't appear automatically, but has to be added by the user. However, the with implementation of 'All Vaults' view, we have seen more than a few users who have forgotten that they've previously added this vault, and we plan to exclude the demo vault from the 'All Vaults' view in a future update to reduce this confusion.

I hope that Hawkmoth's steps have helped you to remove the demo vault, but if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.