Sync never finishes from iPhone to Windows

Options

I have paid windows version and pro iOS version on iPhone. New laptop with Windows 8.1 and latest patches till date. No virus-scan or any third party tools yet. Installed latest copy of Windows 1Password and trying to complete sync using Wi-Fi sync from iPhone to Windows. Since this morning, syncing never finishes between iPhone and Windows. I have 206 items with 4 items having PDF files (very small single page file, each). Currently windows laptop is still going on after 3 hours (this is the 3rd time I have started the sync,) and its says 'Syncing item 5169 of 5169' and the count keeps on increasing.

This time around I have kept my phone unlocked from iOS settings and 1Password also not locking out so I can see syncing between the two. From Rsource monitor on my laptop, I see there is constant network activity between iPhone and Windows. Old format was opvault and new one is also opvault. I do not prefer cloud based sync. I do not have access to old Windows files, if that comes up as a suggestion.

How is it that there are so many items in the first place?

Also have newest Mac-book Pro and license but am hesitant to install and keep waiting for sync to finish. Can someone tell me what may be happening here?

Thank you in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @devibimal,

You can close the Wi-Fi sync dialog and it'll stop the sync, it can pick up from where it left off next time you do a Wi-Fi sync.

If you only have 206 items, it definitely should only be syncing 206 or around that number, not 5169.

Did you import a lot of items and then deleted them? It would remain as "tombstone" for a while to make sure it doesn't sync back deleted items as it may think they're just missing.

Try this:

1. Open the main 1Password app on the PC and go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault
    2. Now, try to perform the sync via the File Menu > Wi-Fi Sync, does it finish syncing sooner now?
  • devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@MikeT - Repair vault function states 'your vault is healthy. No errors or problems have been found'. And post this step sycn started and it at 629 of 629 so I am going to stop this nonsense.

Thanks for responding. However after reaching 6390 of 6390 the sync window simply stated Out of memory - huh? My laptop has 8GB memory and doubt its related to memory. To answer your question I did NOT delete or add anything on iPhone and iPhone still shows 206 in 'All Items'. I can't afford to lose these items.

BTW, I forgot to mention, it does pick up where it left off and I have restarted the app on Windows and iOS and rebooted my laptop before restarting sync.

Also I found out that I have no way of syncing more than one Vault using WiFi, that's lame where your bias is towards using Dropbox, but I digress. I will try this one more time soon.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

@devibimal: Can you tell me the exact 1Password, OS, and device versions you're using? In the past, there was an issue where 1Password for Windows just kept trying to sync after the process was started, even when 1Password for iOS was no longer available. Is your iOS device perhaps locking (or are you switching away from 1Password) before the sync is complete? The initial sync can take some time, but after that, with only partial changes, it will generally be almost instantaneous.

Also I found out that I have no way of syncing more than one Vault using WiFi, that's lame where your bias is towards using Dropbox, but I digress. I will try this one more time soon.

1Password for Windows cannot sync multiple vaults via Wi-Fi because it doesn't support them. This isn't a Dropbox bias, except in the sense that Dropbox sync the data from your computer completely independently of 1Password. 1Password for Windows only works with a single vault at a time, so there's no way to sync multiple vaults together except with an external sync service — which is where Dropbox comes in.

To answer your question I did NOT delete or add anything on iPhone and iPhone still shows 206 in 'All Items'. I can't afford to lose these items.

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. Backup your data.

If you're still having sync issues, include as much detail as possible so I can try to reproduce the issue you're having and offer a solution, or perhaps track down a bug we need to fix! :)

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty -
    Windows 4.6.0.592
    iphone version 6.1.1
    I took the phone and the app from autolocking so its always on

You say 1P for Windows only works with single vault at a time - does that mean it works for multiple vaults on Mac?

Still not sure what to do - I even spun up a virtual instance and installed Windows 8.1 (Enterprise) - installed 4.6.0.592 and the same thing happens - sync from phone to Windows never completes. Where do I backup? I don't use dropbox or icloud!

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

You say 1P for Windows only works with single vault at a time - does that mean it works for multiple vaults on Mac?

@devibimal: Indeed. 1Password for Mac has a unique way of managing vaults. It keeps all of them in an internal database, only splitting them out if you need to have them written to another location for syncing — your Dropbox folder, for example. As such, it can also transfer the entire database at once when using Wi-Fi Sync.

1Password for Windows opens the actual vault on disk, which you can freely find and move around in Windows File Explorer. This is much simpler for external syncing, but means that only a single vault can be sync'd over Wi-Fi (because only one can be accessed at a time).

Still not sure what to do - I even spun up a virtual instance and installed Windows 8.1 (Enterprise) - installed 4.6.0.592 and the same thing happens - sync from phone to Windows never completes. Where do I backup? I don't use dropbox or iCloud!

1Password for Windows backs up your data automatically, and you can find the backups in your Documents folder. I also included a link to instructions to backup 1Password for iOS in my previous post.

It sounds like something is silently closing the connection between your devices, since you're able to start the sync process but it then continues indefinitely. Please follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem:

Wi-Fi troubleshooting

Especially pay attention to the "Firewall" section. Just to clarify, it sounds like all of your data is syncing successfully, but the sync process is not stopping automatically. Is that correct? Do you have all of your 1Password data on both devices? Please let me know.

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty -
    I don't have Windows backups as I indicated in my first post, the only thing I have is my phone that I am trying to sync to get a copy on my laptop. I have gone thru checking connections, network traffic and all and an mentioned in my question, traffic indeed keeps flowing, and connections do not close by itself.

I am not sure if the data sync completes or not, I have to kill 1P when it just continues after hours. Upon opening, there seems to be no indication of any data so it would be easy to say that the sync does not bring over any data from the phone. BTW, the app opens each item on the phone well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@devibimal: Aha! Thanks for clarifying. You'd said something about 'old Windows files', but I didn't realize that meant backups. And it wasn't clear at all from your previous posts that you don't have any 1Password data on Windows, but it sounds like that's the case. Be sure to correct me if I'm misunderstanding that.

Have you tried simply clicking 'Close' to end the Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password for Windows? Often Windows prematurely suggests that the app is 'not responding' when it's simply busy doing something. Go ahead and try it and give it a bit to finish what it's doing once it gets past 206. I suspect that will work for you as it has for me...

However, in testing this I was able to reproduce the issue where 1Password for Windows syncs indefinitely. It isn't clear to me exactly why this is happening, but I'm able to repeat it, so we can examine the logs to track down the problem.

I'm really sorry that you're encountering this issue, but I really appreciate you bringing it to our attention so we can get it fixed. In the mean time, try my suggestion above and let me know if that helps.

ref: OPW-522

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - I tried it for past few days by stopping it after it had passed 206 items and did not get any data save in the vault. Next time I open I have to restart the process. Somehow today it worked partially. So I kept trying and finally all items are on Windows vault, however no attachments came over even after trying few more times. I just have 8 items that has a pdf attachment so I will add them manually.

Thanks for the suggestion that helped me to some degree.

• Hi @devibimal,

I've been trying to reproduce this on my side and I cannot yet. We're also trying to narrow it down with brenty's data to see if we can find the cause and then issue a fix.

Would it be possible to ask if you can export your attachments to a folder on your drive, delete them from the items in 1Password, and then try the sync to see if it is better or quicker? It is possible the attachments might be clogging it and that's why you don't see it show up at the end.

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    Options

@miket - the only place I have my vault is in my iPhone and I am sure that iOS does not allow addition or deleting attachments.

• Hi @devibimal,

Can you perform a Wi-Fi sync again with the iPhone and after that, send us the 1Password diagnostic report from your iPhone? The diagnostic report should let us know why it is not pushing the attachments to your Windows PC. Here's how: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Please email it to support+windows@agilebits.com. Include your forum username in the email body, so we can connect that report to this thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@miket - the only place I have my vault is in my iPhone and I am sure that iOS does not allow addition or deleting attachments.

@devibimal: I think there might be some critical information here that you haven't mentioned. Since 1Password for iOS cannot add attachments, where did these attachments come from in the first place? If you've only ever used Wi-Fi Sync, then it sounds like you're switching from syncing with one computer to another, and that is likely a big part of the problem. Wi-Fi Sync is designed to work between a single computer and one or more mobile devices. It may not matter, but I'd like to at least eliminate this as a possible cause.

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@MikeT - since brenty mentioned about issue happening on his end. I just took the entries I got on my Windows laptop and added all 8 attachments manually and resync with iPhone. By stopping the sync that's a runaway sync multiple times one of the instance got the entries to the laptop. As you may note my original laptop drive is gone. So the only place I had any data was on my iPhone.

@brenty - so as I mentioned the only place I had any copy of data was my iPhone post laptop issues. Rebuilding laptop and reinstalling 1P Windows gave me this never ending sync. Per your suggestion I tried stopping it after it went over 206 items and one of the times it indeed brought back all the entries, sans attachments from iPhone. Though all the attachments we're opening on iPhone. Once I had the data (logins, and others) I removed 1P from iPhone and then added all 8 attachments manually to Windows. Since then sync works ok.

Hope this answers your questions. I am still wondering why the first time sync from iPhone to new laptop never finished.

Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @devibimal,

I removed 1P from iPhone and then added all 8 attachments manually to Windows. Since then sync works ok.

I'm glad to hear it is working okay now. That does confirm my theory that it has to do with the attachments. In the logs, I do see issues with syncing the attachments.

Can you tell me what kind of attachments these are and what size they are? I'd like to try replicating the attachments based on this info and see if I can reproduce it.

I am still wondering why the first time sync from iPhone to new laptop never finished.

Based on what we managed to reproduce on our own machines, what we saw was that it did finish the sync for us but the main app didn't get the call to refresh the interface, it looks completely empty. When restarting the app or switching between views in the sidebar, it did take a few minutes to reload from the database to load the interface, a lot of things were happening at the same time. From looking at the logs, the items were done syncing but the last part was the attachments that hasn't yet arrived. This made the app looks like it is stalling forever while also stuck at syncing attachments that's a different issue. This is a horrible experience and we'll investigate to improve or re-work this in a future update.

• devibimal
    devibimal
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Miket - all 8 attachments are PDFs created using Adobe Acrobat X. They range from 114kB to 132 kB in size.

• Hi @devibimal,

Thanks, we'll see if we can make it happen and follow up here if we have further questions or findings from our testing.

This discussion has been closed.