Store SSH keys in 1Password

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Is it a good idea to store both parts of my SSH keys in 1Password so I can easily add them to a new machine etc?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil: I do. So long as no one else has access to your vault, that's perfectly fine. But if you're sharing it with anyone you need to consider carefully — but of course that goes for any sensitive information. :sunglasses:

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Fantastic. Yes i'm the only person with access to this particular vault. My I ask in what format do your store yours? Copy and paste the contents into the notes field or attach the actual files?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rctneil: Both. Just in case. Sometimes one is more convenient than the other. Probably overkill, but I like to be prepared. ;)

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Haha! I was actually wondering if you'd say exactly that to sort of confirm if my ideas on doing both would be a good idea not not stupidly overkill!

I guess it's not overkill and more a case of being very very prepared like you say!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In many areas I'm not sure you can ever use the phrase "stupidly overkill", there is simply waiting for that instance where this level of redundancy is required. In that moment everything is vindicated :smile:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@rctneil ,

Am I seeing the need for a new converter for SSH keys?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol: :+1:

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Sounds good to me!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

:+1: :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@rcneil, @brenty,

Can you tell me specifically what you'd like to see? Which files (known_hosts, ...)? Which 1Password category should be used?

If your goal is easy transfer, use rsync, since exporting the items out of 1Password and then transferring them to remote systems is much more laborious.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

@mrc, @rctneil: Now that you put it that way, I wonder if I didn't misunderstand rctneil's issue. I'd assumed that the goal was to convert between SSH key file and SSH key fingerprint text, but I may have jumped to conclusions. :unamused:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cobaltjacket ,

I think that's a pretty interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.