Save New Login not working on Mac

khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Kevin. I merged your post with this thread where I think you will be right at home. :-)

Please see my post above for my remarks on your specific request. The rest of the thread will likely also be of interest to you, but I don't want to overwhelm you on your first visit. :lol:

Thank you for your kind words!

fcar, I am also using Chrome as my main browser. I am a big fan of Chrome at the moment. The screen shot I posted above of the save dialog should pop up when you save a login in Chrome and Firefox in Lion (and Safari in Snow Leopard but we're talking Lion here I think). If you want to test it, be aware that manually saving a login does not currently work in Chrome if the login has the same password as one you already have saved. To test it out, just type in a bunch of gibberish in the username and password field (or visit a site for which you don't already have a saved login).

As I understand it, the current plan is to unify the codebase for all browser extensions so improvements can be made once and applied across the board. As you can imagine, this gives the devs a strong passion for improving things: they don't have to do it multiple times! I am very optimistic about the future of 1Password's browser integration. I think you can be too. :-)

Please let me know about that save dialog though. Perhaps it would be best to start a new troubleshooting thread if you are still having trouble with it. I feel bad clogging up this nice UI thread with my ramblings. ;-)

Hey khad, thanks for replying again.

I agree with everything you said, in a nutshell :)
Right, I tested it on hotmail, and saving on Chrome does not work for me. I basically clicked on my current username, then typed a completely random password, and then clicked on the key icon on chrome, and clicked on save. It was still the same password as before, which means that the extension did not save it. It's one of my pet peeves about the chrome/lion (safari) extension :( If you could help me on that (even if you want to split this to another thread) I would appreciate it. I need to be able to do a manual save as I did previously with the other extension. I didn't try to create a new username though, all I need is to be able to replace a password on top of an existing one, if calling this a forced save would help you picture the situation then so be it :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    hey fcar,

I split your post into a topic in the Chrome forum. Have you already tried clearing 1Password's cache (Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache)? Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hello again, fcar! I merged this post with the previous one which was split off from some unrelated topic.

Please try clearing 1Password's cache as described above. I think the bigger issue is that the manual save is currently using the same function as autosave, so even clicking the "Save new Login" button is still subject to the same limitations of the autosave code. We have documented some situations that would cause the Autosave function not to kick in:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/missing_autosave.html

Please note issue #2 regarding reusing passwords. Is it possible that this is applicable in your case?

Please let me know how it turns out or if I have misunderstood the issue.

Thanks!
  • Jim_here
    Jim_here
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    Hi, I think I have a problem similar to fcar's, though I'm using Safari rather than Chrome. I have 1Password 3.6.0, and recently updated to Safari 5.1. Since then the "Save Login..." command under the 1P button isn't working, nothing comes up. However, the "Fill & Submit *" command is working. I have to admit I have not been completely on top of how the browser 1P stuff is supposed to work, but I could usually get it to do what I wanted, and I'm pretty sure a dialog should come up after selecting "Save Login...".

Any thoughts? Thanks,
    Jim
  • Hey Jim,

The Safari 5.1 browser extension had to be reworked from scratch due to the new rules Apple placed on their newest browser. Consequently, not everything works as before.

However, we are working diligently to restore as much of the previous functionality as quickly as we can.

In the interim, we've just released our latest version of 1Password: 3.6.5 There have been several enhancements and upgrades since 3.6.0, and I hope you will consider installing it.

As you learn the new extension, you may find our Safari FAQ a valuable resource. You can find it here: 1Password 3 for Mac FAQ

Please take a look through the help guides and let us know if you have additional questions or problems.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Thanks for sharing your thoughts fcar, it is awesome to see you so passionate about Google Chrome.

Yes, absolutely, we will bring all the new Safari goodies to Chrome. We are focused on Safari at the moment as Safari 5.1 has created a huge amount of email and we're trying to get things working for everyone before we switch gears to other things.
  • Jim here wrote:

Hi, I think I have a problem similar to fcar's, though I'm using Safari rather than Chrome. I have 1Password 3.6.0, and recently updated to Safari 5.1. Since then the "Save Login..." command under the 1P button isn't working, nothing comes up. However, the "Fill & Submit *" command is working. I have to admit I have not been completely on top of how the browser 1P stuff is supposed to work, but I could usually get it to do what I wanted, and I'm pretty sure a dialog should come up after selecting "Save Login...".

Any thoughts? Thanks,
    Jim
    Hi Jim, we have reworked the ’Save Login” to be much better now. Please update 1Password to 3.7.1 and the extension to 3.7b10.

After that, you should now be able to press the 1Password button and then the ‘+’ button on top right to perform a manual save when you’re on a web site with the login form filled in. Here’s a screenshot of what it look like in 3.7b10:
    Manual_save-20110801-231922.png

fcar wrote:

Great! Indeed, I am passionate about it. It makes things easier to sync info to Google and bring up on other platforms. In my view it's better than Safari but I can understand that Safari being bundled with the OS will have much more usage in a novice-user-seeking-convenience point of view.
    I hope that the changes get ported sooner rather than later.

Thanks for replying :) You guys rock!!
    Hi fcar,

You’re welcome, we appreciate the kind comments. It would be sooner rather than later, that’s our plans right now. smile.gif
This discussion has been closed.