Auto-Type starts too fast and needs to learn patience with Microsoft Edge

Options
Maffsie
Maffsie
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, I'm trying to use Auto-Type in lieu of a native browser extension, as I use Edge in windows 10 which presently doesn't support browser extensions, however when I click the auto-type button, it switches to the window I want it to, but then begins typing too quickly. This means that the first 1-5 characters of whatever I'm auto-typing are lost.
I've looked all over and can't find any preferences related to this feature; is there any way to have 1Password wait a few milliseconds after switching to the window, before it begins auto-typing?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 v1511 build 10586.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maffsie: I'll admit that this is the first time I've heard anyone accuse Auto-type of being too fast. Personally, I find it to be a bit sluggish, but I suppose it depends entirely on the context. ;)

With that in mind, can you tell me the exact steps you're taking so I can test this myself? It may be an interaction with a specific site, so be sure to include that information to test against as well.

Another thought is that I tend to use the Ctrl \ keyboard shortcut, even with Auto-type, because it's just way more convenient, but it sounds like you're not doing that. Can you try it and let me know if that helps? Thanks in advance!

• Maffsie
    Maffsie
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for your reply. It happens with any application I've tried; 1Password begins typing too quickly, meaning I'm unable to use it for logging into applications like Spotify, nor for my browser.
    I can't use the Ctrl-\ shortcut - as mentioned, I'm running Microsoft Edge, which doesn't currently have support for extensions, so 1Password doesn't work with it.

Edit: Reproducing the problem, as far as I've experienced, can be done by:

• Installing Windows 10 and 1Password
    • Opening an application and putting focus on an input field (oddly, it switches to Notepad quickly enough that no characters are dropped)
    • Selecting a login item in 1Password and then clicking Auto-Type.
  • Maffsie
    Maffsie
    Community Member
    Options
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maffsie: AWE-SOME! Thanks so much for that.

And I'm sorry for the misunderstanding: I meant that if you'll be using Edge full time, it may help to edit some frequently used login items to always use Auto-Type ("Use Auto-Type in web browser" in item details).

Weirdly, I'm not able to get Auto-Type to fill the username on Tumblr at all. But with your help I was able to reproduce the issue on other sites — every site that I tested in Edge, in fact, exhibited this Auto-Type partial filling issue. However, Auto-Type fills the same sites correctly in every other browser and app I tried (although I'm sure we could find some that don't).

Was this working for you previously? I'll admit that I don't use Edge often, but I have used Auto-Type there a number of times and don't recall having trouble. Did this issue arise recently? I just installed the big 'November update' myself, and I wonder if that brought some change that introduced — or exacerbated — this problem. Let me mow what you find! :)

• Maffsie
    Maffsie
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: It has always behaved like that with Edge. I experienced the issue in the past with other applications, but now cannot reproduce it with anything but Edge. Odd!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maffsie: Well, I definitely had the same issue with Edge myself earlier when I posted! Whereas in the past I'd never encountered this problem. Maybe it's psychosomatic? Crazy... :dizzy:

I'll continue to test this to see if I can figure out some pattern to it. Be sure to let me know if you encounter it again as well! :sunglasses:

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

@Maffsie, this is a known 1Password issue with Edge, Edge has a different way of accepting keyboard input, so we can't easily fix this and we have no plans to improve this because the only acceptable method will be via the extension API. Microsoft is working on having this done early next year and we'd like to build an extension for it.

Right now, the only workaround we could find is that you have to edit the Login item and check the box next to Send Control + A before Auto-Type. This will allow 1Password to focus the username, wait a bit and type the username in. You must be careful to focus the username field first before using this.

However, this is not fesible to do for all Logins in your 1Password database, which is why we would recommend using IE or other browsers until 1Password support is available for Edge.

• Maffsie
    Maffsie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I understand that, I was mostly wondering if there was a way to, application-wide, state that 1Password should wait a second after focusing the application, before starting to type. As you've said, it's not really feasible to do this individually for every login stored in my database, so I was hoping there'd be a solution beyond just not using my preferred browser :x

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @Maffsie,

Not at the moment. As far as we can tell, the issue isn't the speed, it's the first action that gets discarded, so even if we wait 10 seconds, it will still miss the first character. We have some ideas that might work and we'll see what we can do.

This discussion has been closed.