Cannot get iPhone and desktop logins to sync

Options
azzurrikicks
azzurrikicks
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

I'm running 4.4.3 version of 1Password (Mac via Chrome extension) and it's synching to a dropbox vault. I have 1Password on my iPhone too, syncing to the same dropbox vault (I only have one vault). No matter what I try, the passwords in my browser/desktop are different (more updated) than what is on my phone. I've turned off the synch on phone and turned back on and even deleted it and reinstalled. To no avail. Any help welcomed!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @azzurrikicks,

I'm sorry Dropbox sync is giving you some trouble!

Is 4.4.3 the version of the main 1Password app on your Mac, or is that the version of the 1Password extension in Chrome? (From your first sentence, I wasn't sure which one you meant.)

Also, to help us get to the bottom of the sync problem, can you please let us know some additional details:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running on your Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? (I just wanted to double-check, in case 4.4.3 was the version of the Chrome extension.)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of iOS is on your iPhone?
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone?
    • Is Dropbox sync still enabled in the sync settings of 1Password on both your Mac and iPhone?

Once we know more details, we should have a better idea of how to get things working again. Thanks in advance! :)

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew - Ok,

• 4.4.3 is version on mac, chrome extension is 4.4.3.90 as well
    • Mac OSx is 10.9.5
    • How do I tell if it's AgileBits store or Mac Store version? Can't remember where I bought it.
    • iOs on my phone is 9.1
    • Version of 1Password on my phone is 6.1.1
    • I have switched back and forth from Dropbox and iCloud synch on both phone and mac. They are both synching to iCloud now and still not matching.
    • Dropbox looked like they were both synching to same folder.
    • I did a test on my mac (added a test password and it didn't show up in Dropbox). So something is definitely wrong. It looks like my dropbox backup has not saved for a while. What is strange is that the extension shows a lot more items than desktop version - it's the most up to date b/c that is where I usually add them all. phone has 205 "All Items"/199 Logins vs 230 & 224 on my mac.
  • Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@azzurrikicks:

How do I tell if it's AgileBits store or Mac Store version? Can't remember where I bought it.

Please use the link in Drew_AG's post for the instructions which tell you how to do that. Here they are again in case it's easier:

Which version of 1Password am I running?

Stephen

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Ok so it's Agile Web Store version

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @azzurrikicks! :)

Ok, so you said you currently have iCloud sync enabled in 1Password on your Mac and iPhone. Unfortunately, iCloud sync won't work between 1Password 4 and newer versions, because starting in version 5, the iCloud sync option in 1Password uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which Apple introduced in iOS 8 and Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). Unfortunately CloudKit is not backwards-compatible with previous versions of iOS or Mac OS X, or with 1Password 4. If you're curious, we have more information about that here: Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

But we can definitely help to get Dropbox sync to work! The first thing to do is switch 1Password from iCloud sync to Dropbox sync on both your Mac and iPhone. You can do that by following the steps here: How do I switch to Dropbox Sync from another method?

On both your Mac and iPhone, when you switch back to Dropbox sync, you should get an option to merge your data (assuming your sync file is still in Dropbox). Go ahead and choose to merge. Hopefully, after you switch to Dropbox sync on both your Mac and iPhone, you'll have all of the same data in both places. But if for some reason it's still not working right, just let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Went thru and did all. Still the same. Missing some on iPhone vs Mac list. Sigh.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @azzurrikicks,

Sorry to hear that didn't solve the problem, but I think we're much closer to getting things back in working order now. It's possible there's a problem with the current sync file in Dropbox, so we can try resetting that. Please start with these steps:

• Close the 1Password app on your Mac and iPhone.
    • On your Mac, open your Dropbox folder, then find and delete the 1Password.agilekeychain file (if you can't find a .agilekeychain file, there's a possibility it will be a .opvault file instead).
    • After deleting the sync file, open 1Password on your Mac and iPhone.
    • Both apps should give you an error about the sync settings, and if you check those settings, sync should be disabled on both.

If the sync settings become disabled on one but remain enabled on the other, stop here and let me know. Otherwise, if you received an error message on both, and sync was disabled on both, continue with these steps to re-enable Dropbox sync:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file (it should only find one).
    • If you see a message about merging, that's fine - go ahead and merge.
    • Enter your master password if prompted.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew - I have not done this yet because I'm scared :) - if I delete the 1Password.agilekeychain does that mean all my passwords go away? Just wanted confirmation on that first so I can be mentally prepared if I have to rebuild from scratch. Can you let me know?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Don't worry, @azzurrikicks. We would never ask you to do something that would cause data loss. Your data is stored separately. 1Password.agilekeychain simply contains a copy of your data used for syncing. :)

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I think I did in wrong order by mistake. I opened 1Password on mac and disabled synch first, before I deleted keychain in dropbox. Not sure what that means. I deleted keychain, then went to my phone and it said synch has been disabled. When I went to 1Password, it didn't allow me to create new – it's actually still showing a keychain the Dropbox folder (even though the DB folder in my browser shows as empty). Hmm... now what?

• Hi @azzurrikicks ,

Is it possible you have more than one 1Password.agilekeychain file in your Dropbox? Perhaps one in a 1Password folder in your Dropbox folder, and the other is (or was, before you removed it) at the top level of the Dropbox folder?

Cheers,
    Kevin

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, it's bringing me automatically into the internal folder (lower level) where it existed before. Strange. I've restarted, reopened browser and it's only showing me the keychain when I view thru 1Password preferences when selecting DB for synch.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @azzurrikicks,

When you say it still finds a keychain in the Dropbox folder, do you mean that happens on your iPhone when trying to re-enable Dropbox sync? If so, please check the exact location it shows for that keychain file, and make sure you're looking in that exact same location in the Dropbox folder on your Mac (or from dropbox.com in your web browser). There have been a few changes to the default location of that keychain file over the years, and a couple of those locations are very similar:

• Dropbox/1Password/ <-- This is a previous default location for 1Password sync files in Dropbox.
    • Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ <-- This is the current default location for 1Password sync files in Dropbox.

If you deleted the keychain from your Mac, and then 1Password on your iPhone said sync was disabled, that means the keychain you deleted from your Mac was the same one your iPhone had previously been syncing with. If the iPhone is now finding a different keychain in Dropbox (and assuming you have not yet re-enabled Dropbox sync in 1Password on your Mac), that means there were previously two different keychains in Dropbox, which would explain the problems you've been having with Dropbox sync.

In short, if you check both of the above folders inside Dropbox, do you see a keychain in one of them?

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

I think I got it!!! Yes there were two vaults...looks like I had a random second copy of Dropbox downloaded. I am still testing to see if passwords match so I'll confirm back with you if any additional issues. HOWEVER, another random and semi-alarming item popped up. Now when I use the Chrome extension for 1Password I'm seeing a whole bunch of additional logins for someone other than me. A Wendy Appleseed with AgileBits company name. Is that a test identity or something. Please confirm asap.

• Hi @azzurrikicks ,

Wendy Appleseed is a fictional person we use in our Demo vault. We offer a demo vault for people who wish to play around with 1Password without worrying about affecting their actual data, and to demonstrate 1Password to other people without showing their actual data. It sounds like you created this Demo vault at one time or another.

To get rid of it, switch to the Demo vault and choose Delete Demo Vault… from the 1Password menu.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kevin, the demo vault was never there before. And I can't figure out how to switch to the demo vault in order to delete it. And I think that although I thought things were fixed, I'm not sure they are. I see 205/All Items and 199/Logins when I view categories on my phone. When I view 1password on desktop I see 284/All Items and 266/Logins. But I suppose that might be b/c there are some from the demo vault in there. So frustrated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@azzurrikicks: No problem! Just click the "All Vaults" icon in the upper left corner of the main 1Password window and you can select the vault from there. I hope this helps! :)

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I followed Drew_AG directions on the string that started with "Sorry to hear that...”

Closed both apps on both devices
    I deleted keychain in dropbox
    When I went back on Mac, it gave me a synch error
    When I went to phone it did’t give me a synch error (was it supposed to say it could not synch?) When I went to Settings/ Synch it gave me “Set Up Syncing” Link
    Then Primary Vault/Start Synching/Choose a Sync Method/Sync with Dropbox/
    and chose Dropbox and when it searched it came up with only one and it’s: Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

And when I synched to that it still doesn’t match what is on my Mac.

More advice?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @azzurrikicks,

Thank you so much for your patience as we sort this out. I know it can be frustrating when sync is misbehaving, but we're here to help and we'll work with you until this is properly resolved.

First of all, were you able to get the demo vault removed as Brenty suggested?

If so, we'll focus on the syncing bit. This might be a long shot, but just in case: do you have more than one Dropbox account? It's important that all your devices are logged into the same Dropbox account or they might be syncing to the same location in different accounts ... which would not be helpful.

When I went to Settings/ Synch it gave me “Set Up Syncing” Link

Then Primary Vault/Start Synching/Choose a Sync Method/Sync with Dropbox/
    and chose Dropbox and when it searched it came up with only one and it’s: Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

I think this might be where we're getting tangled up. When we reset sync, we want to give 1Password the opportunity to create a fresh datafile in Dropbox, so that we know that there is only one file there and that all of your devices are looking at that one datafile. If you're going to set sync back up and there's still a datafile in Dropbox, then we might want to try one more time.

Let's try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync.

• On the Mac, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of. (These might be .opvault or .agilekeychain files, but again, don't worry - your data is also stored locally, so removing these files from Dropbox will not harm your data.)

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

Please let me know if this gets your devices on the same page! (Just to be sure, you might want to create a test entry on each device and confirm that it syncs to the other.)

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan thanks so much. Believe it or not, when I went into my device again tonight and to Settings>Sync it showed me the agilekeychain file this time, along with the opault one (I was unable to see/choose the agilekeychain one during my past tests). So voila, it just showed up. Not sure why? I did choose to merge them so now it looks like my phone has additional entries (more than my mac) but I spot checked various entries and it looks like the passwords match on both devices and are up to date. So that's a huge start. Now I just need to figure out which are duplicate entries or why my phone has so many more logins (252 on iOS device vs 234 on mac). Thank you!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @azzurrikicks,

Whoo hoo! I'm so glad to hear that we're getting sorted out!!

If your devices have been out of sync for a while, there might be some duplicate entries, but hopefully that will be simple enough to sort through on your Mac. Just to be sure everything is on the same page, let's do a quick test:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?

I've got my fingers crossed that everything shows up where its supposed to.

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you. This has been an issue for like a year before I even contacted you guys. Thanks for sticking with me. Yippee!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

@azzurrikicks: Awesome!!! That must be a huge relief for you, and I'm really happy Megan was able to help get things sorted out. I'll make sure she sees your message, as I'm sure she'll also be excited to see that it's working now! :)

A year is a long time to put up with a problem like that, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hopefully it all keeps working well for you from now on, but if you do happen to run into another issue or have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always glad to help! :)

• azzurrikicks
    azzurrikicks
    Community Member
    Options

Gracias. Have a great day!

• You too @azzurrikicks! We're here if you have any other questions. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.