Entering passcode hit or miss

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

i have difficulty in entering the passcode due to,lack of sensitivity with the keypad. Pressing the number is not always accepted or recognized. I find myself trying to enter the number repeatedly, which results in being told to use my phone to unlock the watch.

FYI: I have no problem entering my watch passcode, which leads to believe it is the 1Ps issue.

1Password Version: 6.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 2.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51: I couldn't agree more! This is actually a WatchKit issue, as these apps don't actually run on the Watch itself; rather, the iOS runs them on the iPhone, and they send data to the Watch — essentially individual screens — so there's a bit of a delay there. On the other hand, the device passcode entry runs on the Watch itself. Hopefully we'll be able to improve this in the future using newer technologies, but for now it isn't able to be as responsive as you — or I — are accustomed to. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Good to know, tho patience is not one of my virtues. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you! There's definitely room for improvement, so I hope we'll be able to find a better solution in the future. A key benefit of WatchKit is that because the apps don't run on the Watch they don't drain its battery as much either. We'll try to find a middle ground. :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Hope you did not misunderstand my comment about patience. I was referring to impatiently waiting for a response from the keypad when I am at an atm machine trying to get my pin. Not impatient with you guys. As a former programmer in my Un-retired life, I know how long it can take changes to be implemented.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, absolutely! Thanks for the clarification. I took at as impatience with the PIN input — but of course since it affects our app, the other kind of impatience would be completely understandable as well. ;)

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member

Doesn't watchOS 2 support native apps? That would solve the delay, wouldn't it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gamma6: It's possible, although it may introduce other issues — battery life, chief among them. It's something we can explore though. I just know from my personal experience with other 'native' Watch apps that they're noticeably less power efficient, and of course it makes sense, running code on the Watch rather than transmitting with Bluetooth LE. In time, there will be a solution to all of this, I'm sure. :)

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member

But how much more battery could it use really if all you do is look at some text for a few seconds? Surely the user experience is more important?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But how much more battery could it use really if all you do is look at some text for a few seconds?

@gamma6: That assumes that the data wouldn't need to be decrypted (ew), and of course you'd have to test it in order to really know the answer to that question...

Surely the user experience is more important?

..and of course the answer to this second question depends entirely on the first. And even if it's 'worth it' to you, you can't really make that determination for everyone, since others may feel very differently. It's both a matter of balance and personal preference. If we can do it without making it suck (battery life, of course), then it could be a big win for everyone. ;)

This discussion has been closed.