Dropbox Sync disappeared?

jms1
jms1
Community Member

I've signed up for the Teams beta at work, and have started migrating my work-related passwords and notes over to a team folder.

Prior to this, I was using 1Password for both work-related and personal items, syncing between two iOS devices, three OSX machines, and one Android tablet, using Dropbox.

I just noticed that my personal items are no longer syncing, and it looks like the Dropbox sync options on the iOS devices are gone.

Does using Teams preclude any other sync mechanisms? If so, is this just a limitation of the beta, or will this also be the case when Teams comes out of beta?

I would like to use Teams for the work-related items, but I need to use Dropbox for my personal items. If it's not possible to do both, then I'll need to migrate everything back (only about 70 items so far) and stop using Teams.

1Password Version: iOS 6.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox, Teams

Comments

• ryansch
    ryansch
    Community Member

Dropbox sync hasn't been removed but the panel for settings and status has moved from under "Settings -> Syncing" to "Settings -> Vaults -> Primary (or vault name)".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jms1, @ryansch: Yeah, it's a bit hidden there to accommodate the various vault settings we have now. Sorry for the confusion! We'll see if we can make this easier to manage in the future, as we needed to work Teams support into the existing interface for now. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• jms1
    jms1
    Community Member

Now that you point out where it was moved to, it makes perfect sense. My one suggestion would be, rather than trying to "find a better place for it", just add some text below the item count, explaining that each vault now has its own sync settings, available under the appropriate item on the "Vaults" menu.

However, it brings up a totally different issue... it looks like Dropbox sync isn't working. Not sure if this is a bug in iOS v6.1.1 itself, or if it only affects 6.1.1 when Teams are turned on.

On Friday, on my iPhone (iOS 6.1.1) I added a time-based password to the entry for my Amazon account, which is in my primary vault. This change did not propagate to the iPad (also iOS 6.1.1) or the laptop (OSX 5.5BETA-24), and other changes to the same entry (adding the "Apple Watch" tag, changing the URL, adding a "notes" value) are also not propagating. This lack of propagation is what made me look for the Dropbox settings in the first place.

As a test, I just now tried the following:

• Added a "Secure Note" on the iPad.
    • Manually went to Settings, Vaults, Primary, and tapped "Sync Now". Waited for "Last Sync" to change from "In progress" to "47 seconds ago" (and so forth.)
    • On the laptop (OSX 10.11.1), I've noticed that other Dropbox changes normally appear within 2-3 seconds, however the "1Password.agilekeychain" file's timestamp did not change.
    • On the iPhone, went to Settings, Vaults, Primary, and tapped "Sync Now".
    • The new entry does not appear on the list.
    • All devices mentioned here are subscribed to the same "Team" account.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jms1,

On Friday, on my iPhone (iOS 6.1.1) I added a time-based password to the entry for my Amazon account, which is in my primary vault. This change did not propagate to the iPad (also iOS 6.1.1) or the laptop (OSX 5.5BETA-24), and other changes to the same entry (adding the "Apple Watch" tag, changing the URL, adding a "notes" value) are also not propagating. This lack of propagation is what made me look for the Dropbox settings in the first place.

Can you recall if you were viewing the item in your primary vault, or were you in 'All Vaults' view? Our developers are currently tracking a bug where sync is not properly initiated in 'All Vaults' view. If you switch to the vault that the item is stored it, a sync will be correctly initiated.

Until we're able to get this bug resolved, we recommend switching to an individual vault before making edits to an entry. This will ensure that the changes are synced immediately.

On the laptop (OSX 10.11.1), I've noticed that other Dropbox changes normally appear within 2-3 seconds, however the "1Password.agilekeychain" file's timestamp did not change.

The 1Password.agilekeychain is actually a file bundle with several folders containing all your data inside. For example: 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default. (You can see the file structure yourself by right-clicking on the 1Password.agilekeychain file and selecting 'Show Package Contents'.)

Since the operating system only changes the 'Date Modified' for the next level folder, the date modified on the 1Password.agilekeychain itself will not reflect if/when changes have been made within the data/default folder.

I hope this helps!

• acemary
    acemary
    Community Member

I am accustomed to dragging files into my Dropbox via the finder on Mac OS 10.9.5. A blue icon used to appear over the file indicating that it was syncing and when the sync was complete, the blue icon changed to a green checkmark. In fact, all files in my Dropbox account USED to have a green checkmark if they were currently synced.Those green checkmarks no longer appear on ANY file. Today I dragged a new file over to sync, but no blue icon appears. The only way I could tell if it was syncing was to check up in the menu bar periodically and see if the sync had completed which is a whole lot less convenient. Is this something that anyone else has encountered?

Also, from the finder, I used to be able to right-click on a folder and share the link to that file. That option is no longer available to me. The only way I can share a file link is to log on to Dropbox via the Internet, OR to use the menu bar and share a file that way. It used to be much more convenient to share directly from Dropbox in my finder.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

• acemary
    acemary
    Community Member

I am accustomed to dragging files into my Dropbox via the finder on Mac OS 10.9.5. A blue icon used to appear over the file indicating that it was syncing and when the sync was complete, the blue icon changed to a green checkmark. In fact, all files in my Dropbox account USED to have a green checkmark if they were currently synced.Those green checkmarks no longer appear on ANY file. Today I dragged a new file over to sync, but no blue icon appears. The only way I could tell if it was syncing was to check up in the menu bar periodically and see if the sync had completed which is a whole lot less convenient. Is this something that anyone else has encountered?

Also, from the finder, I used to be able to right-click on a folder and share the link to that file. That option is no longer available to me. The only way I can share a file link is to log on to Dropbox via the Internet, OR to use the menu bar and share a file that way. It used to be much more convenient to share directly from Dropbox in my finder.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

• jms1
    jms1
    Community Member

It happened again ... Yesterday I created an item on OSX (6.3 BETA-30), it synced over to my iPhone (v6.4.1) and iPad (v6.4.1) within seconds. On the phone I then edited the item and scanned the QR code for a one-time password associated with the same account. That change (adding the OTP code) did not sync back from the phone to OSX or the iPad.

Further experimentation this morning...

• I added an item (a "Secure Note") on OSX. I saw a new "xxx.1password" file in my ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default directory, the "contents.js" file's timestamp was updated, the same changes were reflected in the Dropbox web interface, and the item shows up on the iPhone and iPad within about ten seconds.
    • I then edited that item on OSX. I saw the timestamps changing on my hard drive and in the Dropbox web interface, and while it seemed to take a bit longer (30-45 seconds), the changes did show up on both iThings.
    • I then edited that item on the iPhone. The change does not appear in the Dropbox web interface, even if I go into Settings -> Sync -> Primary/Dropbox and tap the "Sync Now" item. The edits also never show up on OSX or the iPad.
    • I added a new "Secure Note" on the iPhone. Nothing changes in the Dropbox web interface, and the item does not show up on OSX or the iPad.
    • I added a new "Secure Note" on the iPad. The new item showed up in Dropbox, in OSX, and on the iPhone.
    • I edited that item, the change showed up in Dropbox, OSX, and on the iPhone.

So it sounds like the problem is that the iPhone is able to receive items from, but not send items to, Dropbox.

Any ideas? Is this maybe something that you've seen before?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jms1,

Since we’re dealing with Dropbox sync here and not 1Password Teams or 1Password Families specifically, I’ve moved this post into our general Mac forum. Not only does it keep us nice and organized, but it ensures that you’ll get help from the right experts more quickly. :)

Thanks so much for including such detailed steps of your testing. I’ve followed your steps here, and I’m not able to reproduce what you’re seeing.

I then edited that item on the iPhone. The change does not appear in the Dropbox web interface, even if I go into Settings -> Sync -> Primary/Dropbox and tap the "Sync Now" item. The edits also never show up on OSX or the iPad.

I was testing without an iPad in the mix, but I was able to get the iPhone edits to appear in 1Password after locking and unlocking 1Password on my Mac (I got OS X notifications immediately that the file in Dropbox had been updated.)

I added a new "Secure Note" on the iPhone. Nothing changes in the Dropbox web interface, and the item does not show up on OSX or the iPad.

After adding the Secure Note on my iPhone, iOS indicated that it was syncing and I got a notification from Dropbox on my Mac that the new file had been added to my keychain. After locking and unlocking 1Password for Mac to force a sync, the item showed up.

So, it sounds like there might be something going on with your iPhone. Let’s take a closer look to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.