Wifi sync between OS X and iOS 9 stops working after a day or two.

xierox
xierox
Community Member

I believe this problem started with the latest update to the iOS application, although I am not 100% sure of that. Since upgrading the iOS version from the previous version, wifi sync fails to sync for me. Reinstalling the 1Password application on my iPhone fixes the issue, but after a day or two it comes back. This has happened three times in the past week.

When the iPhone app fails to sync, it displays a message indicating it cannot find any web servers or 1Password apps on the local network. (I failed to write down the error last time it occurred, but will note it the next time it happens so I can include it here.)

Prior to recently, this has worked flawless for the past year.

Things I have tried without success:

• Confirmed both my iPhone and Mac (a Macbook Pro 15" Retina) are on the same network
  • Restarted both iPhone and Mac
  • Restarted wifi access point
  • Disabled Mac firewall
  • Turned off wifi on iPhone and Mac

None of this has fixed it. I'm a little skeptical that this is a problem with my configuration (although I'll retain an open mind :) ) since this problem doesn't occur if I reinstall the iOS app without touching anything else.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Wifi Sync
Referrer: ug:mac/share-a-vault, kb:wifi-troubleshooting

Comments

• Hi @xierox,

That is a strange one. :) I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot it though. Could you please try setting up an Ad Hoc network and see if you are able to sync over that?

https://support.1password.com/wifi-adhoc/mac.html

Please do also note that there is a bug in v6.1.1 where if the All Vaults view is selected, no vaults will sync. Please try selecting the Primary vault view before syncing:

https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/multiple-vaults.html

We hope to have this bug fixed up in an update soon.

Thanks!

Ben

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

Hi @bwoodruff,

Thanks for the help!

After getting home from a friend's house tonight, I tried to sync my 1Password vault again to see if the problem had returned. It had returned. I captured a screenshot and have uploaded it here: http://imgur.com/RnajpyV

I then created an ad-hoc network on my Mac using the steps you provided, joined the network with my phone, and tried to sync. The problem occurred and I received the exact same error message shown in my previous screenshot.

Thanks for mentioning the All Vault bug. I had noticed that and had been wondering whether that would be fixed in a future build.

Do you have any additional steps I can try to resolve my sync issue?

Thanks!

James

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xierox: Backup your 1Password data on each device, disable Wi-Fi Sync completely, and set it up again. The error depicted in your screenshot is what happens when you try to sync with a Wi-Fi server (computer running 1Password) or vault other than the one you 'paired' it with.

I get this error all the time in testing, as I often have to start over with a new vault and forget to disable sync. Keep in mind that Wi-Fi Sync is only designed to work between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS or Android devices. Reinstalling the app has the same effect, but it's much simpler to disable sync and set it up with the one computer you'd like to 'pair' it with. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for the the advice! I disabled wifi sync on both the iOS app and the OS X app and then re-enabled it. Unfortunately, after re-enabling it it still wouldn't sync. The behavior was slightly different, though. It didn't display and error, it just didn't find my computer.

You can see what I saw here: http://imgur.com/B2xZ6EN

If it matters, I have never tried to sync either app (on my iPhone or Mac) with another device. I only try to sync them on my home network with each other, nothing else.

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

FYI, I've reinstalled the 1Password app on my Mac just in case it makes a difference.

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

Issue reproduced again. This time it only took a few hours, during which time I was out of the house and my Mac went to sleep.

Including the error which occurs to increase searchability: "1Password could not find a Mac or PC to sync with. Please make sure that your computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network and is running 1Password app with Wi-Fi sync option enabled."

• Thanks, @xierox. I think at this point we'll need to see some diagnostic information from your devices in order to troubleshoot further.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• TnIan
    TnIan
    Community Member

"Please do also note that there is a bug in v6.1.1 where if the All Vaults view is selected, no vaults will sync. Please try selecting the Primary vault view before syncing."

This worked for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! We're working on a fix for this particular issue with the new All Vaults feature, so keep an eye out for updates. :)

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

Hi @TnIan,

Thanks. Unfortunately, this is not the problem I'm experiencing. The issue persists even when the Primary vault is selected.

@bwoodruff,

Thanks. I'll try that. Can you please confirm that the diagnostic logs do not contain any private information (passwords, notes, etc.) from my 1Password database?

• @xierox,

Correct. The logs do not contain any of your 1Password data.

Ben

• mutineer612
    mutineer612
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same problem with iOS ver 6.1.1 and OSX ver 540046. iOS app fails with "Computer not found". Wifi sync has worked great up until now. Since upgrades, I am able to force a onetime sync by disabling sync on iOS, turning off WiFi, turning is back on, at which point 1Password on iOS is able to see OSX running the WiFi server and sync. After that one sync however it will not sync until I perform the above steps again.

I've tried disabling and re-enbling sync on both OSX and iOS, only sync'ing Primary vault, and regenerated a new secret for the WiFi server. BTW regenerating new secret could use some better instructions. It's not intuitive to right click on the secret to get a prompt to generate a new secret. Suggest adding a comment to the right of the secret field.

Any suggestions? For now I have a work around that sucks, but gets me by. What other info can I provide?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mutineer612: "Computer not found" means that 1Password for iOS was originally paired with a different computer/vault, and it doesn't recognize the one you're trying to sync with now. You'll need to disable sync and set it up again with the one you're using currently.

Just be aware that 1Password isn't designed to 'server swap' frequently for Wi-Fi Sync. This will destroy the sync state, which is tracked to avoid conflicts. But since it sounds like that hasn't helped, the app may simply be damaged, in which case backup your data and reinstall a fresh copy.

BTW regenerating new secret could use some better instructions. It's not intuitive to right click on the secret to get a prompt to generate a new secret. Suggest adding a comment to the right of the secret field.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, we could make this a bit clearer. I'm sorry for the confusion!

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• mutineer612
    mutineer612
    Community Member

@brenty: I don't server swap 1Password. It's only ever sync'd over WiFi to a single workstation running OSX. I backed up and deleted the iOS app and reinstalled and re-synced my vault over WiFi. At first is was giving me error... Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=61 "Connection refused". I dismissed the error and then it gave me the same previous error "Computer not found". I disabled and re-enabled my WiFi and was able to sync once. After that initial sync I was able to sync manually by selecting Settings > Sync > Sync Now. It seemed to work without error but it would not automatically sync when I made changes either on the app on my phone or in OSX, only manual sync. After about 5-10min and a dozen manual syncs it appears to be back to normal and syncing on it's own. Not sure what 'Fixed' it but it is finally working again.

• Hi @mutineer612,

Thanks for the update. If it does get into the described state again, I'd like to see some logs.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Before generating the iOS report please open 1Password's Settings and navigate to Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings then enable Wi-Fi Sync and Sync.

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

Hi all,

I'll work on getting you those logs later this week or over the weekend.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xierox: Thanks so much! No rush. I'm really sorry for the trouble here. That's a very odd issue, so hopefully the diagnostics will provide some insight.

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

Hey @bwoodruff,

Report files sent your way! Here's my support ID number: [#RUG-91748-345]

Regards,

@xierox

• xierox
    xierox
    Community Member

@brenty: See above! ^^

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2015

Thanks @xierox. We've received your reports and I've flagged them for our team to follow up. We'll be back with you via email as soon as we can.

Ben

ref: RUG-91748-345

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015

I'm also having sync issues, but over WiFi. I keep noticing that sync is not happening for many days, and when I try to manually sync by selecting Primary Vault, and going to sync (where it says I have not synced in several days), and click Sync Now, I get a error message about Computer not found. All systems are on the same WiFi network, and this has always worked prior to the 5.5 / 6.2 updates.

I then go disable WiFi sync, and re-enable it, but the Wi-Fi Sync dialog shows no computers to sync with. So I kill 1Password on iOS, and then restart it, and find that the server now appears in the sync list.

I think it is the same issue as this one.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I see this routinely as well. I reported it here.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MrC,

I've moved your comment from the Mac Beta discussion into this one. Your issue sounds similar to some of the reports here and also in: I'm receiving a message "Computer not found. 1Password could not find a Mac" - Wi-Fi Sync. As you've been doing, this is the most effective workaround:

• Disable Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password for iOS
    • Completely quit 1Password via iOS multitasking window
    • Launch and initialize Wi-Fi Sync again in 1Password for iOS

It's not quite the same issue and workaround that Ben mentioned earlier:

Please do also note that there is a bug in v6.1.1 where if the All Vaults view is selected, no vaults will sync. Please try selecting the Primary vault view before syncing: …

Our development team is aware of bugs related to both issues and will get 'em squished as soon as possible.

• mutineer612
    mutineer612
    Community Member

My issue with WiFi sync has resurfaced. I've submitted a diagnostic report from iOS with WiFi Sync and Sync logs enables as well as OSX diagnostics report email. At this point I'm hoping you can find something. I've completely uninstalled/reinstalled the OSX 1Password app, mini extension and iOS app and restored from last backup and am having the same folder sync and WiFi sync problems. Something is corrupt somewhere and am hoping diagnostics reports provides a clue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mutineer612: I'm not seeing anything under this address. If you'll post the Support ID you received from BitBot we'll be able to track it down to take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you. Thanks in advance! :)

• mutineer612
    mutineer612
    Community Member

@brenty

support ID is [#ATX-44166-731] for OSX
    support ID is [#LTP-51291-642] for iOS

Submitted both on 12-5-2015.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mutineer612: Thanks! I'm sorry for the delay. I'm not seeing anything unusual in the logs though. Due to an issue with the new All Vaults feature, sync isn't working across sessions. Unfortunately the only solution currently is to setup Wi-Fi Sync again (as sjk menionted above) or use another sync method (though it will be necessary to switch to the vault in order for it to sync). I'm really sorry about this. I know this is a huge nuisance, but this is the only solution currently while we we're working on an update to address these issues.

ref: ICX-51935-759 ref: OPI-3247

This discussion has been closed.