How to fill in 1Password for Mac and iOS

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password extension not filling after El Capitan upgrade.

Comments

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

OK - me too. Autofill doesn't autofill forms now that I've upgraded to El Capitan. It does not autofill only on my Mac. iPhone it does.
    Mac OS X 10.11.1, 1Password 5.4, 1Password Extension 4.4.4, sync with iCloud.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gayemacy,

I thought your username sounded familiar, we were chatting about the 1Password Emergency Kit :smile:

So we've had a couple of different issues here and I would like to check and see how you normally use 1Password on your Mac. From the 1Password extension version number I can infer you use Safari so what that leaves us is how you like to fill.

1. Do click the website field in the Login item from the main 1Password window? (we call this open and fill)
    2. Do you open the 1Password mini window, search for an item and click on it (also called open and fill but does behave a bit differently).

So that one is a one or the other kind of question. My last question for now is if you manually load up the login page for one of your sites does Filling the current web page work? That's the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut. Those two answers will hopefully help us a bit in understanding how you currently like to use 1Password and offer some insight into what part might have gone wrong :smile:

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Hi Little Bobby!
    I meant it doesn't autofill in a field on a form. It opens fine on 'open and fill' to sign in!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gayemacy,

So I would like to just make sure we're using the same definitions.

When I say auto-fill that to me would mean I load a page, not using open and fill, some process will fill in the fields with no interaction from me. Now we don't do auto-fill in 1Password, purposely so and this page, https://support.1password.com/why-no-autofill/ details why. Basically it's a security thing where 1Password only reacts after some form of user input.

Now this is exactly what some people mean when they say auto-fill but some people say auto-fill when they are referring to the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ which is filling the current tab in the active browser. When it comes to filling it might be you're referring to a Login item, Credit Card item or an Identity item.

So it's just about pinning down the precise breakdown at the moment and then knowing exactly where the issue lies, figuring out why :smile:

What We can infer is that the extension is working if open and fill is. That does require the extension to be installed and working so we've ascertained that at least. Normally this would suggest that ⌘\ will work as this tends to be the most reliable action but we'll know a bit more when we hear back from you :smile:

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

LBT-
    It's the last 1 - filling in fields with an identity item, credit card

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @gayemacy,

Let's see if we're looking at something site specific or some general weirdness.

Can you try visiting https://agilebits.com/store for me please. I've picked out store simply because I know it's easy to get to a payment page without requiring registering for an account or all sorts of other mucking about. Add a single licence to the shopping cart and click the Checkout button roughly in the upper right hand corner of the page. As long as you don't press the Submit Order button you can try filling both with an Identity item and a Credit Card item on this page. Neither of those will try to submit the page. I use the ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Password mini and select the item from the relevant submenu. I've tested this right before typing this reply and for me it correctly filled all the relevant fields for both my real Identity and Credit Card item and test ones I also have that belong to a fictitious person in the US.

If your Identity and Credit Card items fill on this page we might be looking at an issue specific to the page you've recently been trying to interact with. If they don't fill then we have a bit of a puzzle on our hands as I've tried to recreate the exact same environment as best I can and it's working for me. No matter what we'll learn something from the test and take it from there :smile:

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Dear LB,
    I guess I was confusing Mac behavior with iPhone behavior. I was expecting an Autofill popup to click on using Mac. This is what happens on the iPhone. Instead, on Mac, you click on the Mini1P and fill that way. Is that right? No autofill popup? You have to go to Mini and use that?

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Last - can you direct me to a place in the manual where it says how to sign in to use 1P when away from your computer or phone? As in travel in Europe or using someone else's iPad or computer? What's the latest development on that?
    Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gayemacy,

There are definitely differences between 1Password for iOS and Mac. For example, 1Browser's entire existence is because prior to iOS 8 and the availability of iOS extensions there was no way to interact with the iOS Safari browser. That's why there is no similar feature in 1Password for Mac where we can properly interact with all the major browsers.

So filling on the Mac is either by clicking the 1Password Browser Extension icon, the 1Password mini icon in the toolbar or my own preferred approach, the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ which will automatically fill a page if you only have one matching Login item (if you have more than one valid Login item 1Password won't try to guess).

If you happen to sync using Dropbox and using an Agile Keychain container then there is a way you can view your vault when you're away from one of your own computers. It's called 1PasswordAnywhere but just to say, it's read-only, it can't interact with the extension so you would be limited to copy and paste and 1PasswordAnywhere is getting on a bit. It hasn't been updated in a while and it's hard to say what is going to happen here. While certainly a bit of a pain in terms of typing, you might find Large Type is somewhat useful. In 1Password for iOS, if you go to an item's page and tap on a password field you should see three options; Copy, Reveal & Large Type. Large Type displays the password in nice large lettering and colour-coded to help highlight when a character is a letter, number or symbol. It isn't perfect but that should allow you to type a password on another device and all it requires is the availability of a single iOS device with your vault. I don't know how you feel about that.

This discussion has been closed.