Multiple TOTP Entries per Login item

While it's possible to store multiple TOTP entries in a login item, it's not possible to differentiate the multiple entries, even when the "Account" entry of the TOTP string is different. The browser extension also only shows a single TOTP entry, which I can't tell whether it would be the correct one.

For example, I have a single Amazon login item, which is used for both Amazon.com and Amazon AWS, both with 2FA enabled.

1Password Version: 4.6.0
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10 (6.2.9200)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtucker,

I see what you mean. The extension is merely a bridge to 1Password mini on the Mac and the 1Password Helper process on Windows and it seems the two platforms have adopted slightly different design decisions here. In 1Password for Windows we show a very specific subset of the data in an item and while I can't talk on behalf of the developer it looks like the assumption might have been made that there would only be one TOTP code present and it displays the first one.

I suspect the best option so you can have something that works now would be a second Login item which contains only the AWS TOTP code and the correct URL but otherwise contains no username or password. I believe that will at least allow you to bypass the behaviour that you've just reported.

When you say you have TOTP enabled at amazon.com do you mean the standard amazon where you buy books, music and pretty much anything else these days? I only ask as I had no idea they were using 2FA there.

• mtucker
    mtucker
    Community Member

Not a bad idea, I'll give that a try.

Yes, Amazon.com (books and Prime, etc), just added it the other day.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtucker,

Amazon must not like me, I can't find 2FA in my settings anywhere. Of course rather than having a dislike against me personally I suppose I could begrudgingly accept that maybe they're trialling it or doing a controlled rollout :tongue:

I hope my workaround helps :smile:

• mtucker
    mtucker
    Community Member

So I've implemented that for now, but I did notice something in my 1Password for Windows app just now. I hadn't realized that if I'm in Edit mode on the login, I can click on the "One-time Password" label and modify the name of it. It's not something I had expected as I used the "Account" entry in the TOTP settings window to define it.

So the easy 80% looks done, just the difficult 20% is left :chuffed:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtucker,

I will be curious to know how you find it and if it's useful so please do keep us updated.

This discussion has been closed.