Possible to switch from Teams back to 'single user' version of 1Password?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Feature request: Update 1PasswordAnywhere for OPVvault.

Comments

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Question along the same lines. If us 'individuals' who use 1P Anywhere switch to Teams and find it's not to our liking, is it possible to switch back to the 'I've-got-no-mates' version of 1P?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PJ1,

Since your question is more about 1Password for Teams and not specifically 1PasswordAnywhere, I've moved your message to a new thread in our "1Password for Teams Beta" forum. I hope you don't mind!

The simple answer to your questions is, yes - you can switch from Teams back to the kind of vault you're using right now. The way it currently works is that when you start using 1Password for Teams, you'll add your Teams account in the 1Password app on your Mac, and your Teams vaults will appear alongside your personal vaults (i.e. Primary vault and any secondary vaults you've previously added). You can move items back and forth between personal and Teams vaults. If you decide to stop using Teams, just move items from your Teams vaults back into your personal vault(s).

Now, there is one exception to moving items from a Teams vault to a personal vault, and that is attachments: When you move items with attachments from a personal vault to a Teams vault, the attachments are split into their own "Documents" items that are linked to the items they had been attached to. It's not currently possible to move Documents items from Teams vaults back to personal vaults. That's something our developers are working on, but in the meantime, a workaround would be to either keep copies of items with attachments in a personal vault for now while you try out Teams, or you could save copies of Documents files from a Teams vault to your Mac and re-attach them to items in a personal vault.

That might sound a bit confusing if you haven't tried 1Password for Teams yet, but it's easier than it sounds (and will likely become even easier). Of course, we'd like to think that once you try 1Password for Teams, you'll see how awesome it is and want to continue using it! :)

I hope this helps to answer your question, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else.

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Hi @Drew-AG

Thanks for getting back to me on this, and apologies for putting it in the wrong section!

With regards to attachments from personal vaults being stripped out and made into individual linked documents, that sounds like a really good idea and one I may prefer. Not confusing really as you explained the methodology for changing back if required.

Also, the logic of the Personal Vault being something separate from Team Vaults and being one that works in the 'traditional' way is helpful. Especially with the knowledge that the Personal Vault can be backed up to my Mac in the usual way. Would be nice if Team Vaults could be backed up as well, as having everything off-site is a concern just from a protracted internet connection-loss point of view.

I will look at trying out Teams to see if it works for me, just for the fact that I use .opvault in Dropbox and can't use 1PasswordAnywhere with that keychain format.

Thanks again for the concise replay.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @PJ1! I'm glad my answer was helpful.

For some more information about 1Password for Teams, you might be interested in these FAQs:

If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PJ1: I also wanted to mention that there's a discussion specifically about backups and 1Password for Teams that you might be interested in.

Essentially, we're building this into the 1Password for Teams server. After all, one of the best ways to backup is to to so offsite, in case something happens to your own equipment. So your local copy of 1Password for Teams data is itself a redundant copy of what's on the server. I hope this helps! :)

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Thanks @Drew-AG and @brenty.

Seems I have some reading to do!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, there's a lot of cool new things that 1Password for Teams will make possible. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.