Need more detailed directions to share a 1password vault via Dropbox.

Options
julia_icmpr
julia_icmpr
Community Member

I found the directions on this page confusing: https://support.1password.com/share-vault/mac.html

"Create a new folder within your Dropbox folder that will be used to share your vault."

But the screenshot that goes with it makes it seem like you have to create a new folder in Finder. When I log into Dropbox, there is nothing in my menu that looks anything like the screenshot.

I'm trying to share a Vault of passwords with my assistant. Please help! Thank you!

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/switch-vaults, ug:mac/share-a-vault, kb:share-vault

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @julia_icmpr,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty sharing a vault via Dropbox!

To use Dropbox sync in 1Password on your Mac, you'll need to have the Dropbox app installed. And if you have that installed, you should have a Dropbox folder within your Mac user folder: Macintosh HD/Users/[your username]/Dropbox/

As you mentioned, the first screenshot in our instructions to share a vault is of creating a new folder inside that Dropbox folder in the Finder. If you'd prefer to create a new folder from your account on the dropbox.com website, that's ok too - once you create it from your account on dropbox.com, that new folder should sync to the Dropbox folder on your Mac. Either way is fine - the point is to have a separate folder for the shared vault, because you'll be sharing that folder with someone else.

If you haven't yet created a new folder for the shared vault, it's probably easier to do it on your Mac. Just open the Dropbox folder on your Mac, then go to File > New Folder. You can name it whatever you'd like. Then you should be able to right-click the new folder and choose the Dropbox option for Share This Folder.... Again, it's also possible to share that new folder from your account on dropbox.com, but our instructions show how to do that from the Finder. Either way is fine.

Does that help to clear up the confusion? If you have more questions about that, just let us know - we're always happy to help. :)

• julia_icmpr
    julia_icmpr
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Thanks for responding so quickly. The step I was having trouble with was creating the folder in Dropbox in Finder. The missing direction I needed (and I'm guessing not many others would miss this, but you never know) was to open the Finder app. I just clicked on my desktop to get Finder to appear in the top bar. But opening the app from my Dock did the trick. Then the rest of the steps made perfect sense. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @julia_icmpr! I'm glad everything else went smoothly for you after creating the folder. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.