Google Drive?

Options
BananaPhone
BananaPhone
Community Member

Is it possible to use 1Password with Google Drive instead of Dropbox?

If so, how can I achieve that?

I'm using a Mac, a Windows PC, an Android phone and an iPad.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:google drive

Comments

• Hey @BananaPhone,

Unofficially, yes. On Mac, you can use folder sync with Google Drive. The only thing is, it won't work with your other devices. The only service that works across the platforms you mentioned is Dropbox. I'm just curious: Why do you prefer Google Drive over Dropbox?

• BananaPhone
    BananaPhone
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I prefer Google Drive because they have lower tier subscriptions. I don't want the 1TB option. Also, Google Drive has a better interface to be honest on my iPad.

Do you plan on supporting Google Drive any time soon?

• @BananaPhone Well, 1Password's data doesn't actually have a large footprint. It's usually a few megabytes maximum. If you have attachments, those can take it up in size, but attachments are limited at 5MB so it would take a lot of them to increase the overall size of the data being synced. Of course, if you'd prefer to use Google Drive for everything and don't want to switch between the two for things like 1Password, I totally understand. It is more affordable if you don't need a full terabyte of space.

We don't announce future plans or things that we're working on, but I can forward your feedback to our developers to consider Google Drive syncing. It's come up several times before so I'll put your vote toward the feature. :) Thanks for popping in to let us know it's something you're interested in. Feel free to get in touch if you have any other questions.

ref: OPI-1210

• tavi
    tavi
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, that will be great

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tavi,

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see Google Drive sync support added to 1Password. You've posted this in the Mac forum, and as Penderworth mentioned above, you can use Google Drive through Folder sync on Mac. Which other platform(s) would you like to sync your 1Password data with via Google Drive? iOS? Android? This will help us categorize your feedback more specifically. Thanks!

• tavi
    tavi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Vee ,

Sorry for the wrong forum. It'll be great to have the option an all supported platforms. I need it the most on iOS & Windows.

• Good to know. :+1: I'll add your feedback for our developers to see. :)

• telman3058
    telman3058
    Community Member
    Options

It appears this google drive sync support has already been requested in another topic on this forum and then was shutdown with no explanation. Not everyone uses dropbox when there are so many options around. One Drive, Google Drive the main ones. Dropbox has had reliability issues for a very long time with files go missing and/or deleted with no reason why and the list goes on. I am not sure why you guys are stalling with this option as Microsoft is losing the war with its 365 option and One drive sync issues. Google Drive has a very good rap with reliable syncing and would love to see this an option. I am trying your software but I cant see that i can move with it when this isn't even being given any serious look other than lip service to placate the requesters. I say this as i read through the other request on the other thread and it is saying exactly the same stuff from the developers at agile bits. Also why are you (@penderworth) even asking why someone wants to use Google Drive as an option??? Do you really need to ask. Guys, seriously give this a look as its better than the alternative.

• dhamilton
    dhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Google Drive sync will work for Mac & Windows but not be supported by your phone.

Just place the agilekeychain/vault file in the Google Drive folder on your PC that gets synced. Select that vault on both your PC & Mac and it will function the same as Dropbox.

What's wrong with Dropbox anyway :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

It appears this google drive sync support has already been requested in another topic on this forum and then was shutdown with no explanation.

@telman3058: It sounds like you may have found one of many old discussions which has been closed after a period of inactivity.

Not everyone uses dropbox when there are so many options around. One Drive, Google Drive the main ones. Dropbox has had reliability issues for a very long time with files go missing and/or deleted with no reason why and the list goes on.

I haven't encountered those issues with Dropbox, but I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble. Personally, I have had a lot of trouble with Google Drive keeping my MacBook Pro running hot after I've put it to sleep, though. Hopefully Both of these issue will be addressed, as it will make both of our computing lives easier!

I am not sure why you guys are stalling with this option as Microsoft is losing the war with its 365 option and One drive sync issues.

We're not stalling, and we're definitely not interested in taking sides in any wars! We're a small team, and we have to use our limited resources wisely, where we can bring the most benefit to the greatest number of our existing customers.

Google Drive has a very good rap with reliable syncing and would love to see this an option. I am trying your software but I cant see that i can move with it when this isn't even being given any serious look other than lip service to placate the requesters.

It's better to make purchasing decisions based on what is rather than what could be, so if Google Drive is a critical feature for you, then 1Password probably isn't a good fit, as it isn't something that 1Password supports currently.

I say this as i read through the other request on the other thread and it is saying exactly the same stuff from the developers at agile bits. Also why are you (@penderworth) even asking why someone wants to use Google Drive as an option??? Do you really need to ask. Guys, seriously give this a look as its better than the alternative.

Absolutely. We're constantly evaluating different alternatives, and just because Google Drive specifically hasn't made the cut doesn't mean we're not listening. Make no mistake: it's our job to ask, and we care about the answers. It's different for different people. If we don't ask, we'll never know why any particular feature request matters to anyone...but more importantly, we won't get even additional feedback about how our customers use 1Password now, and how they might want to use 1Password in the future. There's important insight there. You accuse us of paying 'lip service', but that's exactly what we'd be doing if we weren't interested enough in what our customers think to ask these sorts of questions.

To illustrate, dhamilton and penderworth (before asking his followup question) mentioned above that you can use Google Drive to sync your 1Password vault between computers using Folder Sync. He could have simply left it at that of course: "Google Drive isn't officially supported, but you can try this." But because he actually cares (and the rest of us at AgileBits as well, to a person) about what our customers want and why they want it, he asked. After all, we're not going to add a feature just for you, but if we can get a better sense of what everyone's looking for, it helps us prioritize and determine the best way to improve 1Password for all of us. :)

• bcaiado
    bcaiado
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I would also like to have the Google Drive option. I`m currently switching to Google Drive for the same reasons stated on this topic: no need for a terabyte, the only paid option in Dropbox. I can still keep dropbox running along with google drive, but considering I would use Dropbox only for the tiny amount onepassword needs for syncing, that would be a waste of space and memory. Any plans for supporting google drive?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bcaiado thanks for letting us know! The more we know about how many people want this and why the better able we are to discuss feature requests like this. :)

This discussion has been closed.