1Password on someone else's computer

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Latest version of 1Password 4 not creating 1Password.html.

Comments

• stereofool
    stereofool
    Community Member
    Options

I'm new to 1password and bought it mainly for the feature of keeping my passwords secure on shared computers at work. Exactly how am I meant to be able to log into my vault without syncing my drop box to the unsecure computer and running 1password as an app?
    I'm currently very confused and unable to log into my gmail on the work computer as I've changed it to a 32 digit long passcode! Send Help...
    :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stereofool: I've split you off into a separate discussion since you're not having trouble with 1PasswordAnywhere.

I'm sorry that you've encountered this age-old dilemma: "How do I get to my data when I'm away from my computer?" Very frustrating.

(Un)fortunately, it's never a good idea to access any sensitive information on an 'insecure' or untrusted computer. You should assume that its owner has the ability to access anything you do.

A better option would be to store your data on a device you do control, such as an Android or iOS device. Our 1Password apps on both platforms are a free download, so that you'd be able to at least access your data away from your own computer. You only need to do the in-app purchase if you want the Premium or Pro Features respectively.

Now, to be clear, if you store your 1Password data on a computer belonging to someone else — whether it be a company or a hacker — it's encrypted. But of course in order to do anything with your vault, you'll need to enter your Master Password (eek!) to decrypt data, and then all bets are off. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• stereofool
    stereofool
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for late reply!
    I agree. I find it really slow and rather cumbersome though , everyday typing out a 12 character password one generated code from my phone app into the sign in. Is there a way of the password phone app syncing through a network to make this possible?

cheers

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @stereofool,

Is there a way of the password phone app syncing through a network to make this possible?

If you mean to sync locally from your iPhone to 1Password program on the work PC, yes, you can do that with Wi-Fi sync. Note that most companies do not permit Bonjour traffic in their network, so this can prevent 1Password from working.

Be sure to use the Unlock on Secure Desktop feature if you can to protect against keyloggers on your computer.

This discussion has been closed.