My prefs have "save new logins" but browser extension did not ask to save

Options

This is using Chrome 46.0.2490.86 (64-bit), with 1PW extenstion

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Not saving my new logins, kb:autosave-did-not-appear, kb:save-login-manually

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @plotical,

Can we clarify the following please just before we proceed.

1. What version of 1Password are you running?
    2. What version of the 1Password extension is installed?

I would also be interested in the following.

1. Are you referring to a website's login page or registration page?
    2. Do you use 1Password's Password Generator to fill in the password field?

I think that these details may help us determine the cause and we can proceed from there :smile:

• plotical
    plotical
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks littlebobbytables and hope you had a great Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving! So running 1Password 5.4.1 (541003) on my Mac running 10.10.5. and the Chrome extension is 4.4.3.90. This has been happening with registration pages - I've depended on 1PW to pop and say "New Login" and didn't occur to me to manually create.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @plotical,

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving :smile:

We are aware of a bug when it comes to registration pages and we're debating how best to proceed. I actually misunderstood for a while as I believed this was intentional as what we do is record all the fields and the contents of those fields when we perform a manual save. When we fill we look for those exact same fields and set the fields to the values we saved. Now more often than not a login page is drastically different from a registration page where they may ask you for all sorts of details which are not required to log in or may simply make determining what the real username actually is - some sites will have you use your email address, some will ask you to pick a username and is there a reliable way to say which is which given the only thing we will be able to guarantee is that they are all text fields. Passwords are always easier due to the use of the password type for the field.

So we're working on this so that whatever we do is reliable as if it isn't then it will mean a terrible user experience. What I've personally always done since converting to saving from within the browser is have 1Password save based on the login window, the page that we actually want it to fill. If you have 1Password generate the password via our Password Generator then you know the password is safely stored in a Password item and so retrievable.

Again it's a personal thing but for the majority of the time I prefer to have the automatic save off and use the How to manually save a Login - it might be because I'm weird. The manual save though will at least bypass the issues we currently have with the automatic detection. Not to say that this is considered a viable solution but more a workaround while we fix the bugs.

This discussion has been closed.