Problem since moving home folder in Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Hi

I installed a new ( additional) hard drive in my Macbook pro (replacing the optical drive) running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 to free up some space. I moved my home folder to the new drive ( and fixed permissions on the new drive).

When I start 1Password 3.0.0 it now asked if I want to start a new data file or use an existing one. If I try to restore from my backed up agilekeychain I select the backed up keychain from the list and click "restore and relaunch" but I get the same start a new data file or using existing one. I seem to be in a cycle.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help appreciated

Richard

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    I have the same hard drive configuration and had a similar issue. If I recall, the v3.0 preference for the agilekeychain file was hard coded with the full path (/Users/username/Library.....) but now that your home dir is on another drive, the path is different (/Volumes/2ndDriveName/username/Library....). In the 1P preferences, you need to tell it where your agilekeychain file is located using the new path. If you just restore from an old file, it will have the old path which it won't find anymore.

Later versions of 1P use the home directory tilde shortcut (~/Library/.....) so it doesn't matter where the home dir actually is. You might want to upgrade to the latest version (v3.6) if you can't change the location proper in the 3.0 version.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Richard!

As Smudge suggested, please upgrade to 1Password 3.6.0. (You probably also want to update OS X since Apple has released a number of security fixes for Snow Leopard since 10.6.4. The latest version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard is 10.6.8.

The path to your data file has never been hard coded in 1Password. (You have always been free to move it wherever you please.) However, you do need to make 1Password aware of the move. ;-)

You should be able to simply double-click your data file in Finder to have it activated in 1Password, but if that isn't working make sure your permissions are set correctly. Moving your home folder is not for the faint of heart. :-)

That Apple support article deals with renaming a home folder but the process is essentially the same. Note especially steps 5 and 6 under "For Mac OS X 10.5 or later" (emphasis mine):

5. Use the Accounts pane in System Preferences to create a new user with the Account name or Short Name that you used in the previous step.

6. Click OK when "A folder in the Users folder already has the name 'account name'. Would you like to use that folder as the Home folder for this user account?" Note: This will correct the ownership of all files in the Home folder, and avoid permissions issues with the contents.

As the support article outlines, you will need to enable the root user to successfully perform the procedure. That information is also linked from the article.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Hi Guys

Thanks for your help. Upgrading to 3.6.0 worked. Once upon a time I would have tried that first but nowadays I am too scared that that sort of thing would just make a bad problem worse (which would be typical for me). It has however showed me how much I use 1Password on a day to day basis.

Cheers

Richard
  • Richard,

On behalf of Khad, you are very welcome!

I'm glad that upgrading to 3.6.0 worked for you, and I totally understand your trepidation about jumping all over the latest and greatest! I'm right there with you. ;)

Cheers back at ya!

Brandt
This discussion has been closed.