I'm using 1P Version 2.12.1 (build 7671) in old Mac (OS10.4.11). How to import data into iMac 1p V5

Options
drosenmann
drosenmann
Community Member

I'm using 1P Version 2.12.1 (build 7671) in old Mac running MAC OSX 10.4.11. I'm getting an iMac from the office running El Capitan . I downloaded and installed a copy of 1P version 5 from this website in the new machine and, so far, I don't see any problems. However, I would like to import all my 1Password data from the old machine into the iMac, but could not find a way to achieve that as the only options are to export to text, Web, or interchange file. I also tried using a backup keychain file, but it was not recognized either. Any help is really appreciated.
I dont remember ever trying to sync my data
Dan

Comments

• drosenmann
    drosenmann
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 1P version 2.12.1 (build 7671) in old Mac running Mac OSX 10.4.11. I'm getting an iMac running El Capitan and need to import 1 Password data from the old machine to the new one. How can I achieve that?
    Sorry for repeating myself but the comment is not going out , perhaps because im using the old machine.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@drosenmann I've merged your separate threads on the same point into one thread—because it makes support easier and makes it easier for you to find the answer to your question.

(Admin note: identical duplicate posts have been removed)

You're probably going to have to wait a little for one of the AgileBits' staff experts to come along because you're using a really old version of 1Password on a really old version of OS X so you need someone with knowledge of both. Bear in mind it's the Thanksgiving weekend so things may be a little slow here on the forum—but someone will help, don't despair!

Stephen

• drosenmann
    drosenmann
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen for getting back to me and for merging threads. Will be waiting to hear what the Gurus have to say!
    Appreciated!
    Dan

• Jacob
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hey @drosenmann! Well, it's nice to see that you've been with us so long. :) The first step to moving things over is getting an Agile Keychain with your data. If you upgraded to an Agile Keychain previously, it should be located here:

Home/Library/Application Support/1Password/Password.agilekeychain

If it's not, please look around in Finder for one. You can check your Documents, Desktop, and other folders you may have stored it in. If you haven't upgraded to the Agile Keychain format yet, just follow this guide on your old Mac to get things rolling.

Once you acquire said Agile Keychain, you'll need to copy it to a flash drive, hard drive, or some sort of other medium to move it to your new computer. Make sure to copy the file to a folder on your new computer, like Documents. Now, to import it to 1Password 5, there are two options: If you've already set up the app with a vault and you want this one to be the primary vault, you'll need to start over with a fresh vault and import the old data during the getting started process. If you're fine with having an additional vault, you can simply double-click the Agile Keychain, then enter the Master Password for it when 1Password prompts you to, and it will be added to the app as a secondary vault. Keep the Agile Keychain around for a bit just in case.

Hopefully that helps get things rolling. Let us know how it goes.

• drosenmann
    drosenmann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Penderworth,
    Thanks for your e-mail and info. I was able to find the file Password.agilekeychain that you were referring to. However, in my case the name is 1Password.agilekeychain. Is this what you meant or the result of my using such an old version of the program?

I installed 1P V5 in the new computer (iMac/El Capitan), but since there was no 1Password data, the program was asking if I was a 1Password new user or had used it before. I think depending on that, 1P V5 would create a new vault or use the one I was TRYING to import with no luck. So I left the installation on that window, waiting for me to make a choice ....

I will copy the 1Password. agilekeychain to a flash drive and installed it in a folder inside the new computer (unless you instruct me to remove the "1" from 1Password.agilekeychain). If I am correct, I will choose "I have used the program before, and find the file I took from the old computer. With luck I will be ready to go ....

Any comments?
    Thanks and best,
    Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your e-mail and info. I was able to find the file Password.agilekeychain that you were referring to. However, in my case the name is 1Password.agilekeychain. Is this what you meant or the result of my using such an old version of the program?

@drosenmann: Yep! Sorry for the confusion. It looks like penderworth had a small typo there. The default filename is in fact 1Password.agilekeychain, but the name really doesn't matter. It can be named whatever you want.

The concern was that with 1Password 2 you may have been using an older data format which required migration, but 1Password 5 can use your existing .agilekeychain vault!

You're on exactly the right track. Just copy the .agilekeychain to your new Mac, and you can open it with 1Password 5. Be sure to let us know how it turns out! :)

This discussion has been closed.