1Password 5.4.1 window glithing

Options
sunracer2
sunracer2
Community Member

Hello,
First let me say that I'm a long time fan of 1Password and consider a quintessential app for any Mac!
That said, I've found that version 5.4.1 windows seem to be really "glitchy" - they move but jump form one position to another instead of smoothly moving. I first noticed this when I updated a mac to El Capitan and it does this on all my El Capitan based macs. However, I then noticed the windows didn't move very smoothly even on my Yosemite based macs either. The problem seems worse on El Capitan and I've tested on 4-5 macs - mostly fairly new MacBook Pros but one 5 year old MacPro as well (it was the least problematic).

The problem occurs when moving the main page around the screen. The unlock page (the window that asks for your password) does not have this issue.

1Password Version: 5.4.1 (541003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5, 10.11.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sunracer2 the problem is fixed in the 5.5 beta currently undergoing testing. I don't know when that will be released as non-beta, but at least you know the fix should be coming.

Stephen

• Hi @sunracer2,

Thanks for taking the time to write in to report this. As @Stephen_C mentioned, we've fixed up this problem recently, and the window behaves much nicer now in the 5.5 betas. I have no specific release date for the 5.5 release to share, but once it's released this problem should go away for you.

Cheers.

Rick

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi, I also share sunracer2's concern. Good to know that a fix is coming. Please also note that there's also an annoying glitch whereby resizing the window won't be remembered at relaunch. Altogether I must say that these basic bugs hopefully won't reflect a general negligence in terms of quality control... In particular, I do hope that the security aspects are undergoing a vastly superior quality control?!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steffen,

My understanding is both issues were a result in changes to the UI frameworks in El Capitan. It's not uncommon to have to use one approach for a particular version of OS X and to need to change this in a future version. Some times it's hard to determine if the issue is a real change or something that only exists in a beta. For example a fix in 1Password 4 for a particular issue in Mavericks resulted in undesirable behaviour in 1Password 5 in Yosemite as Apple had fixed something. Thankfully the solution was easy, 1Password 5 cannot run on Mavericks so the Mavericks approach was discarded and problem solved. You can often find a lot of flux when it comes to graphical libraries I believe, even in stability releases. Anything related to encryption is essentially cordoned off and yes, any changes have to be justified and checked by multiple developers because the even the smallest change can have significant effects.

• steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks littlebobbytables for the reassuring response.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steffen,

Security is the most vital aspect of a password manager, I understand your concerns :smile:

• spcarr
    spcarr
    Community Member
    Options

I'm really looking forward to this fix. Running 1Password on a RMB is very unpleasant at the moment. Doesn't feel like the premium product that it is...

To confirm the bug for you guys:

1. Set the window size to what you want. Shutdown 1Password from 1Password Mini.
    2. Open 1Password, note the Windows size and position is actually correct.
    3. Log in
    4. Window is resized. For me, it hasn't glitched yet, but it now takes all vertical space.
    5. Close 1Password Window itself (cmd+q).
    6. Open 1Password again, now we are glitched... the window is now larger then the vertical space (goes beneath the dock). Moving the Window is also now horribly broken.

I've found the only sane way to run 1Password 5.4 on a RMB is to run it full screen.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @spcarr,

Thank you for the steps you take to reproduce the problem! That's definitely an issue that our developers are working on, and I apologize for the inconvenience. I'll add your comments to our internal tracker to let them know you're running into the same issue.

I'm sorry again about that! If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

ref: OPM-3145

• spero
    spero
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm I am experiencing the same issue as described - window jumping when dragged in Mac OS Yosemite with version 5.4.1. Glad you're aware of the issue. Will wait for update.

• Thanks @spero! :) Do keep in touch.

This discussion has been closed.