Trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere but 1Password.html file is missing [1PasswordAnywhere is dead]

Options
jonpauldrake
jonpauldrake
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Mac

Hi, I'd like to be able to use 1PasswordAnywhere (https://support.1password.com/1passwordanywhere/) occasionally, but I noticed I don't have a 1Password.html file under my 1Password.agilekeychain (stored on my Dropbox). Please can you help?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password.html

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonpauldrake,

Sorry for the confusion about that! 1PasswordAnywhere is a legacy feature (from 1Password 3) built into the old Agile Keychain format, and won't be supported going forward as we move to the OPVault sync format. Because it's being phased out, the 1Password.html file is no longer created by default in new .agilekeychain files - however, you can click here to download the html file, unzip it if necessary, then place it in the root of your .agilekeychain file (on your Mac, right-click the .agilekeychain file and select "Show Package Contents" to open it, then copy the html file there).

Hopefully that solves the problem, but please let us know if you need more help. :)

• jonpauldrake
    jonpauldrake
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG , that works perfectly.

• @jonpauldrake On behalf of Drew, you're welcome. :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

• afarikofi
    afarikofi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Quick question. In relation to the above will there be a new method of accessing 1password contents anywhere since you are phasing out this current method.
    Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @afarikofi,

That's a good question! 1PasswordAnywhere was originally designed to work with 1Password 3, and there have been many changes to 1Password (and to Dropbox) since then. We would probably need to completely re-write it to bring it up to current standards. I don't know for sure if our developers will add a similar feature to the newer OPVault sync format, but we know it's important for a lot of customers want to be able to access their 1Password data when they're away from their own devices.

I'm not sure if you've heard about our new 1Password for Teams beta which we recently announced, but that actually has a fully featured web app which is more secure, advanced, and easier to use than 1PasswordAnywhere, so that's probably the future of this type of vault access.

Sorry I don't have more concrete information for you at this time! If you'd like to make sure you stay up to date on any announcements we make about this, you can check out our blog, Twitter, Facebook, and/or our email newsletter.

• afarikofi
    afarikofi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew. Will stay tuned in for updates of the Teams version. For the main reason for getting 1 password was for that feature else I could easily access my passwords on my local machine.

• @afarikofi On behalf of Drew, you're welcome. :) Please do keep in touch about Teams. We're very excited about it and hopefully it can help you out as well. Let us know if you have any other questions.

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, hope you're all doing well :)

I've just installed dropbox and followed the setup steps to sync it with 1password, but when I login to my dropbox account, I can only see folders with encrypted data! so if it happens that I lose my phone and/or laptop, i wont be able to read 1password data in dropbox?? or am I missing something?

I'm now using the autofill using the shortcut and it's amazing :) it asks me for my master password after 10 or 15min, I'd like to ask you if it's possible to extend this delay?

Cheers and happy holidays ;)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@redani - Regarding your question,

I can only see folders with encrypted data! so if it happens that I lose my phone and/or laptop, i wont be able to read 1password data in dropbox??

Have a look at the documents for using 1PasswordAnywhere: Can I access 1Password while away from home/traveling?

One thing to know, however, is that AgileBits is moving towards converting to a different vault format, and the new format does not support 1PasswordAnywhere, at least so far. So this may not be a permanent solution. Most of us seem to be relying on a mobile device for accessing our data. (I know you expressed concern about the loss of said mobile device.)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani,

Your question is different than the one in the previous discussion, so I merged your message into a recent thread about the missing html file when trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere. I hope you don't mind!

Please take a look at my earlier response (above) for information on how to get that 1Password.html file so you can use 1PasswordAnywhere.

As for the time it takes before 1Password locks itself, there are some settings in 1Password that should help. Please take a look at our user guide here: Security Preferences

I hope that helps, but if you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG & @hawkmoth, and thanks both for your reply!
    I have downloaded the file and it works fine ;)
    I understood 1PasswordAnywhere wont be supported anymore, are you planing an alternative solution?? because the whole main purpose of the app, is to save data in one place and access it from anywhere anytime.. and the best thing would be to have it compatible with iCloud....

as per the security lock, I have already changed the time after which 1password is locked when computer is idle but didn't notice anything, I've changed it now to 60min, and will test again...

Cheers

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redani,

I understood 1PasswordAnywhere wont be supported anymore, are you planing an alternative solution??

I addressed this in another previous post in this discussion, but please do let us know if you have additional questions after reading that! :)

• redani
    redani
    Community Member
    Options

OK great, thanks for all ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @redani! :)

• marie_nicole
    marie_nicole
    Community Member
    Options

I'm reading this, and what if the purpose is to access from a Chromebook which does not allow for other apps. Can I save the html file to my Dropbox and access the saved login information from anywhere?

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @marie_nicole,

For all intents and purposes 1PasswordAnywhere is dead. We've been discussing this here:

Why is 1PasswordAnywhere not loading? [1PasswordAnywhere is dead] - AgileBits Support Forum

A possible alternative is the web interface included with 1Password for Families or 1Password for Teams, which we've also discussed over in that thread.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• marie_nicole
    marie_nicole
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @bwoodruff I'll look into it.

• Ben
    Options

No problem. :)

Ben

• SGB
    SGB
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm new to 1password. I don't see an .agilekeychain file anywhere on my Mac, let alone Dropbox. Is there no way I can access my vault online if, say, all of my devices go up in smoke one day?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

There is the new 1PW for Families, which AgileBits are pushing hard. Several people recommend it over the current non-subscription version even for a single user.

Also, there are free trial versions on every platform, so if you had Dropbox or iCloud sync set up, you could use 1PW on a temporary basis on any machine on which you can install applications.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SGB,

Our Agile Keychain file format is currently being deprecated, and the new default, OPVault does not include the same online access feature that the old data format did.

As Danco says, our new 1Password Families and 1Password for Teams subscription service does include a web interface that would allow you online access to your data if all of your devices were unavailable. I can’t say at this time whether a web interface option will be available in the standalone apps, but I would be happy to let our team know that you’re interested in something like this!

• SGB
    SGB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but for a family of one, that would be needlessly expensive. I'm kind of stunned that this kind of access, which I've grown used to on your competitors' basic products, isn't a feature. I thought I was moving up to a better product. Hopefully 1Password at least is superior on the security front.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SGB,

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts here! I’ll be sure to pass it along to our team. We’ve been hearing a lot from users who really enjoyed the 1Password Anywhere feature (as well as from individuals who would love to make use of the new 1Password accounts), and we are taking all of this feedback into account when designing the future of 1Password. :)

• SGB
    SGB
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear it, Megan :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SGB,

Always happy to help! I hope we have something fantastic to share with you soon.

• binarynomad
    binarynomad
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

@Megan,

One concern we have at a company I work for is that we utilize site licensed versions of 1Password, and tell all our users to put their data into them. But when they leave the company we used to tell them they could use 1PasswordAnywhere to at least get read access to their personal passwords (because once it is being used, they put both business and personal data into it). We are not worried about the business accounts because they have been disabled at that point. This just hurts the adoption of 1Password by our users because going forward they have to manually separate their personal and work logins.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @binarynomad,

Thanks for sharing your story here. We certainly don’t want to make it more difficult for your team to use 1Password - the security of the data that you use for work is so important!

I think it’s great that you were offering 1Password Anywhere as an option for former employees. However, that read-only access to their data would really only be a short term solution no matter what - the first time the user needs to sign up for a new account, that 1Password data starts to get dated.

This just hurts the adoption of 1Password by our users because going forward they have to manually separate their personal and work logins.

Personally, I can’t imagine keeping my own information mixed up in my company data. Now, granted, I work for a password manager and so I get to hear a fair bit about data security on a daily basis, so I might not be the most objective opinion here, but I have to geek out a little bit about 1Password’s multiple vaults feature here, just a little.

I remember back in the days of 1Password 3 when all of our data did have to be in one big lump. It required a lot of manual organization within the database to keep everything straight. The ability to have multiple vaults shared with different groups of people in 1Password 4 was a hugely liberating improvement, and since then, it’s only gotten better. Now in 1Password 6 we have the All Vaults view which means I can curate which vaults I need to see on a regular basis and have access to just those in my default view. Between my personal and family vaults and various collections of vaults that I need for work I have 24 different vaults collected in 1Password right now. There’s a lot of useful information in each vault, organized quite nicely, but a lot of that information is not needed on a daily basis. In 1Password’s Preferences > All Vaults, I can select the vaults that I need and then only those vaults show up by default when I unlock 1Password. I can still switch to the others, but I don’t get 1Password's Twitter information mixed up with my personal account.

Keeping business and personal information separate makes it easier for you to onboard new employees; just give them access to the appropriate company vaults, and it makes it simpler for those employees if/when they decide to move on; they can take their personal vault with them in the form of a 1Password.opvault file, or easily export their data into a neutral format.

In fact, you might want to check out 1Password for Teams for keeping your teams data secure. There’s a lot of great features there!

At the very least, I would strongly recommend you look into 1Password’s multiple vaults feature. I think it would make life a lot easier for your company. :)

This discussion has been closed.