Multi-page login: Capital360 Bank

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot get the 2-page login to save correctly so it works! Help!.

Comments

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi;
    Am trying to do a 2 page login into capital360 bank. As instructed (in your manual), i go to the bank, fill in my username (which they do automaticall but only display partially), and go to the browser settings, save new login. Nothing happens. I thought there would be a login entry saved. Preferences in 1pw do have auto save option enabled. When i subsequently submit the login page and answer the password page, 1pw prompts to save a new entry.

Result is that there is only 1 entry and it cannot be used to log in.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to set up a set of login entries to log into my Capital 360 account. Since the username and pw are to be supplied on separate pages i followed the procedure defined in your user manual.
    1. I went to the login page and filled out the username (note that Capital automatically fills in my username but only displays it partially).
    2. I used the browser Settings > Save New Login to create the first entry. 1PW did not save anything, nor did it prompt me to save anything. This seems to be the root of the problem
    3. I submitted the username and received the page requesting me to specify my password. After entering 1PW sollicited me to create a new entry. This entry was created.
    4. Since there was only a single entry created (the first one which i expected was never created), i cannot use this procedure. Should i manually create an entry with only the username?

Help.
    Hans

ps. The auto save new logins option is enabled.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:having trouble with multiple page login

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hjhermans: I've split you off into a separate discussion in the Browser Filling category of the forums so we can focus on the issue you're having.

Now, without a lot of information, my suggestion would be to edit the Login item you've saved to add your username to it. See if that works. If you're still having trouble though, please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, the URL for the login page may be crucial, as it will allow us to test it ourselves to see what we can come up with. Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hjhermans: I've merged your other discussion into this one to avoid confusion, so we're not trying to have this conversation in multure places. Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi;
    Sorry about reporting the same problem twice. I could not find my entry and thought i must have forgotten to Post it. Anyway, i'll try to give you as much detail as possible.
    1. I have followed the procedure outlined in "Creating a multiple-page Login" of your manual.
    2. I am trying to log into capital 360 bank. The USB is https://secure.capitalone360.com/myaccount/banking/login.vm
    3. They know my userid and partially display what it is.
    4. I follow your instruction "Click the 1Password button on the browser toolbar, and choose Settings > Save New Login; name the new item MyBank - 1.".
    5. This does not appear to do anything.
    6. I press the continue button on the page and receive the prompt for my password.
    7. After filling this out and again pressing the screen's 'continue' button, i am prompted to create a 1pw login entry and am logged in.
    8. Looking at the login entry, i note that there is no username field, only a field named 'q' with a value 'search' and designation 'username'.
    9. Using this entry with the browser, the first page appears but nothing else.
    10. As you suggest, i changed the entry 'q' to have a name 'username' and the value of my username. No changes.Only the first page appears.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hjhermans: No worries. Thanks for getting back to me!

1. They know my userid and partially display what it is.

My first thought was, "Well, I don't know what browser you're using, so many that's it," but I think that the problem may be the saved username. Please try clearing it out and typing it in manually, and then 1Password will be able to save it (since you'll have actually entered information there for it to save). I was able to do this easily in Chrome on Windows 10 and OS X El Capitan. Try that and let me know what you find! :)

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, i'm using Chrome and i did try clearing and typing in the username, but that made no difference. Step 4 does nothing, certainly does not create a new entry. Only step 7 creates an entry.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @hjhermans,

I would like you to try something out for me please.

Saving a Login item from within the browser has one key advantage, it allows the extension to see exactly what fields need to be filled. It's what allows us to fill pages that are more complex than just a username and password for example. Sometimes though there can be advantages to creating what I call a basic Login item, one created from within the main 1Password window, one that knows nothing about the page you're trying to fill. If you create a basic Login item for this bank does that behave any better?

If it doesn't could you supply us with their general login URL please. That way we can test the site and see what we discover :smile:

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi;
    1. The most basic url is https://Capitalone360.com This prompts for the username.
    2. I have set up a login entry with the following url: https://secure.capitalone360.com/myaccount/banking/loginauthentication?execution=e1s1&stateId=collectPassword THe entry has a username (removed by AgileBits ) and password defined.
    3. When this is invoked, the first of the login pages appears, the username is filled out, the second page is opened and solicits for the password. This is all that happens. The pw is not entered and no transmit is automatically made.
    4. If the same login entry is then again issued, a new tab is opened, and results immediately in the display of the second page soliciting the pw. It is entered, and the login is completed.

So, assuming that the login can only be done with two distinct logins, how can i avoid opening a second page and only filling out the password on the first window? Is there some other way? THe only thing that is clear so far, is that the procedure defined in the manual apparently does not work. I have given you my userid which should permit you to replicate the sequence except for actually signing in.

Hope there is a better way, i.e. less cumbersome.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @hjhermans,

How do you use your Login items? There are three key ways:

1. From inside the main 1Password window you view the required Login item and click the link stored in the website field. This is called open and fill. It passes the URL to your default browser via OS X and once the page has loaded attempts to fill using the Login item.
    2. From inside your browser you bring up the 1Password helper and select a Login item from the Login sub menu or you search for it. If the Login item selected isn't for the same domain as the tab currently open this will open a new tab, performing an open and fill much like above.
    3. From inside your browser you manually open the page you want to fill. You open 1Password mini and 1Password offers the correct Login item. Selecting it fills in the current page. This can also be done using the keyboard shortcut ctrl + \

Based on your description it will be 1. or 2. and I suspect 1.

Even with multi-page logins 1Password will never fill a page unless instructed and we do treat each page of a multi-page login as being separate. So I'm suspecting you're using open and fill as detailed in 1. above. This opens the correct page and fills in your username. It would seem you have submit after filling enabled given it seems you're indicating the page with your username is submitted and then you're requested to supply your password. This is how open and fill works. With the second page loaded you need to instruct 1Password to fill this new page, my recommendation being the ctrl + \ keyboard shortcut.

When I first started discussing this with you I didn't realise you were a 1Password for Windows user. When I view the details on our page Using 1Password with login sequences split across multiple pages (Windows) I see there is a section not there that is on the Mac version, something we need to correct. The section on the Mac side I think will help clarify this.

Using your multi-page Login item

To use your multi-page Login item, simply invoke it once per page when you log in to the site:

1. Go to the site’s first login page.
    2. Trigger 1Password as you would normally, selecting the Login entry you just created. 1Password will fill in your details and advance you to the next page automatically.
    3. On second page, trigger 1Password again and select the same entry as before. 1Password will fill in your details and advance you once more.

Many websites that have login systems spanning multiple pages work better when 1Password does not automatically submit after filling. If you find 1Password fills your password correctly but the site doesn’t accept it, try disabling autosubmit for this Login.

Steps 1. and 2. can be combined if you use open and fill like I believe you already are.

Does this help explain what you're observing?

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

This is very helpful and answers a lot of my questions regarding the windows interface. Was not aware of the role that auto-submit option plays in all of this. Also did not know about shortcuts and domain matching options. Agree that the mac paragraph about usng a multi-page item should be included for windows, but also believe that the instructions for creating multi-page items are very misleading. Perhaps a word or two about the role of the auto-submit option and the browser shortcut would help prepare a novice like me to tackle creating such entries.

Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @hjhermans,

Getting anything even vaguely complex right first time is always tricky but that's why your feedback is great. With documentation it allows us to understand what we think seems clear from another perspective and hopefully we can improve the clarity of our documentation.

I'm glad I was able to help explain certain aspects and please, if you have any other questions at all don't hesitate to ask us :smile:

This discussion has been closed.