Correct Procedure for renaming a vault?

Options

I'd like to rename one of my vaults from "Default" to something more descriptive. What's the correct procedure to do this?

I use 1Password on the following devices which are synced via Dropbox.

Windows 10 PC x2
iPhone
iPad

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: Sorry for the confusion! Any vault you can open with 1Password for Windows is simply a file/folder on your computer, so you can rename it in Windows File Explorer just as you would anything else. You can find the path in 1Password > File > General.

That said, if you're syncing it with other devices, make sure you disable sync first. You'll need to set it up again once you've renamed it, so that your other devices can find it as well. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty, i'll give it a go.

There doesn't appear to be any way to close\quit 1Password on Windows. When I select File->Exit it just seems to lock and I still can still see the padlock icon near the clock. Do I need to worry about it running while I rename the vaults?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: You shouldn't have to, but it may help to restart Windows after doing so. If you have any trouble, quit 1Password from the notification area/system tray. 1Password just won't be able to find your renamed vault initially after you rename it, so don't be alarmed that you'll need to select it to open it again for the first time. :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

If you have any trouble, quit 1Password from the notification area/system tray

How do I do that? If I right click the 1Password system tray icon I don't see a quit\close\exit button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck: I'm sorry for not being clearer. From there you can Open 1Password and go to File > Exit, which is fine, since the vault will no longer be in use with 1Password locked completely. Did you run into any issues renaming the vault?

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

I did go File->Exit but I could still see the padlock icon in the system tray so assumed it was still running. Anyway I needn't have worried I went ahead anyway and renamed the folders and it worked fine.

Thanks

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.