My online bank asks for random digits from my password. How can I set this up?

Options

My online bank asks for random digits from my password. How can I set this up?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:fix-website-login

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @britttt,

We don't have a system in place that allows 1Password to recognise the indexes for the characters being requested and to fill those in automatically or even a semi-automatic approach where the user can select the required characters and 1Password fills - sorry about that.

What we do have in 1Password 5.4 though is something called Large Type.

I believe the best way of using it is to open the Item Details for this Login item from 1Password mini and use the keyboard shortcut ⌘O to anchor the item to the screen. Then, if you hover over the password field you'll be able to access the little menu as shown below.

Selecting the large type option will then pop up with something like this

When you use the anchor option with large type I've found it allows the large type part to stay in the screen while you type the characters into the page below. When you close the anchored window the large type will also disappear. It isn't ideal and I hope we can at some point improve on this but hopefully it can help on financial sites where they say for characters x, y & z.

Does this help at all?

• britttt
    britttt
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks.
    Is there any plans to add this function?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @britttt,

At this precise moment it isn't something being actively worked on, partly because it isn't an easy problem to solve. There is no standard approach that sites use when they use this type of security measure and availability of examples is a bit tricky too as I've only ever seen this with banks, a site you can't easily get an account to for testing purposes. This isn't to say we wouldn't consider something but I'm sure you would agree that unless we can do so reliably we can't afford to do it at all. Typically a small number of failed logins will cause a bank to lock you out of your account and having done this once myself I know it isn't easy to correct afterwards. So if we were to do something we'd have to ensure it's very robust given the penalty for not getting it right. If we can come up with something that could though we'd love to have it in 1Password given how troublesome these logins are.

• britttt
    britttt
    Community Member
    Options

My thanks for the info. Good luck with that

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope for now Large Type works for you @britttt, I actually find it quite useful now that we have it and I wasn't sure if I would or not.

This discussion has been closed.