Sharing items between users.

Options

Hey guys, as others, we are evaluating 1P for teams.

One question that comes to mind, is how to share passwords securely between team members.

One of the main things we want to avoid, is people sending passwords over email/slack/notes.

While your documentation says that iMessage is the most secure / easy way to share, not all our team members have iMessage.

I want to request a feature to share items through the 1password servers, and for it to be secure.

Or at least let us disable the "email" sharing option, and add one of our own, like a private sharelock.io site, that will make sure that only our team members will be able to get the passwords.

Currently, sharing without vaults is the main concern with have with 1P and we would love for this to be addressed.

Comments

• I think I just replied to your post in a different thread :)

One feature that we are planning is sending a copy of the item to other users of 1Password for Teams. It will use public/private key encryption to make sure that the contents is always encrypted.

Here is how it might work:

1. You select the item and choose "Send Item" option
    2. You select the recipient (ideally, I would like to allow sharing not just with the members of your current team but with any 1Password for Teams user)
    3. The copy of the item is encrypted using the recipient's public key and a notification is sent to the recipient.
    4. The recipient accepts the item and it is saved in their vault.

The shared item is going to be read-only for recipients. That would allow the original sender to make changes to the item and send the updated copy without worrying about conflicts.

Ideally, 1Password would also show the people the item is shared with or who shared it with you.

• altryne
    altryne
    Community Member
    Options

Ideally, 1Password would also show the people the item is shared with or who shared it with you.

This, on this one thing this whole feature will rest I think, as not knowing who to update, will make it a very difficult task in a large team.

Is there any ETA on this? I know that ETAing is problematic, but I would want to understand at least a possible timeframe to be able to convince the mgt. to move to 1P

• Can't give you an ETA but it is on our "Top 5" missing features list.

• AEspo
    AEspo
    Community Member
    Options

I see the ability to easily move items from vault to vault as really critical. Also, it would be great to easily and clearly see which vault the item that you're viewing is in. It's actually too easy to save an item in the "wrong" vault, and it's a chore to fix this issue.

• Hi @AEspo,

The 1Password for Mac app should allow you to easily move the items from one vault to another. It should also be showing you which vault an item is in when you're in All Vaults mode. Can you tell me where you'd like us to be more obvious? We certainly agree that saving data in the wrong vault is something we don't want to see happening, so we'd love tips about where we could make this better.

Rick

• altryne
    altryne
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion it would be an awesome addition to the web, moving passwords between vaults.
    This way I could share passwords through a vault and make people just grab it for themselves.
    Currently, I can't go through a vault for people who don't have the mac app and it's problematic.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rickfillion, I see a similar problem. I have hundreds of items in my 1Password vaults (not for Teams) so I can access them using 1Password for Windows or 1Password for iOS. But there is no way how to move them to 1Password for Teams so I can share the information with other team members.

• @altryne Thanks for the feedback. That's certainly something that will come in handy and something we will likely add later in the beta. :)

@oksoftware Ah but there is! You can simply move them as you would items from any other 1Password vault. Here's our great knowledge base article on the topic:

Moving data from a personal vault to a Team vault

Let us know if that helps get things sorted. :glasses:

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth Unfortunately there is no similar action in 1Password for Windows nor for iOS and I have no access to Mac. Hope this feature will be implemented soon.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @oksoftware. We are definitely going to continue adding features and making improvements throughout the beta period, and we're certainly aiming for as much feature parity as possible across platforms. Thank you for your patience!

• nunoloureiro
    nunoloureiro
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this feature or ETA (sharing items between users)?

Under the team's vaults, where you have personal, shared, etc, you could have "Members" and then see a list of members to share with. Just an idea..

• rob
    Options

Hi, @nunoloureiro.

No update to share at this point. We are currently working to improve and solidify our existing features, and we're keeping new features to a minimum. This will be a very big feature, and I'm not sure when we'll be tackling it.

• nunoloureiro
    nunoloureiro
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will do! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.