New feature in Beta 2: PIN, fingerprint, iris or face recognition support to unlock app

Options

Starting with Beta 2 we are adding option to unlock app using your user pin code, fingerprint sensor or other biometric method, if it is supported by Windows 10. You unlock app as usual, but subsequent unlocks will offer pin code (or other supported biometric method) to quickly unlock app.

You must first setup your pin in system settings\accounts\sign-in options

If for some reason you want to turn this feature off - Settings\Options

Comments

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

A big thank you :+1: This is one of the features in the Android app that I use the most, so I'm glad it's making it's way across to Windows. Any chance that this will be making it's way to Windows 10 Mobile in some form? The pin unlock feature would come in very handy.

• @pbryanw benefit of Universal App is that this feature works exactly the same on Windows 10 Mobile as it does on Windows 10 ;)

• ejg930
    ejg930
    Community Member
    Options

:+1: :+1: :+1:

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement, @ejg930!

• lostlogik
    lostlogik
    Community Member
    Options

Been using this on my 950XL and have the following comment:

Returning to the app, iris scan is initiated ok. However, once scanned and recognised, there is a very messy return to the app as first the iris definition page is cleared and then the password unlock page comes up and then disappears before the app comes back to the foreground.

Is there a way of cleaning this all up?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There may be. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, @lostlogik!

• jcmoore65
    jcmoore65
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed this on a Nokia Lumio 950. Excellent work, especially with the Windows Hello integration.

The problem is that Windows Hello puts me in a bind. If I use it, I have the capability to unlock 1Password with Iris scan which is great so that I don't have to enter my long and complicated master password. However, if I do it, I also can unlock via my short and simple PIN, which I don't want.

Is there a way to use Windows Hello so that 1Password only presents me with Iris and not PIN?

• lostlogik
    lostlogik
    Community Member
    Options

@jcmoore65 I think that's tied to windows10. If you note, when iris scan fails to detect you, it asks for your pin. Personally I think it's a daft work around and sort of defeats the point of biometrics but what the hey.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for helping out with that reply, @lostlogik!

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

Since I did a factory reset on my Lumia 950 XL (with the latest Insider build) I'm unable to install 1Password beta. Installing fails with error 0x8007007B. Any idea how to solve the issue.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm sorry you're having that problem, @TheVMaster.

If you can tell, does the failure seem to be coming from the Store app, from Windows 10, or ...?

Also, what version of Windows 10 are you running, since the update?

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Looping login
    Using the beta on the 950XL. Iris login only works if the phone is within 8 inches of my face.
    After 1password locks, use Iris login. - session steps

• move closer
    • Hello Select OK to continue
    • move phone to reach the ok button
      <repeat 3 times>

• Windows Hello has been blocked due to too many verification attempts. To unblock Hello, enter your PIN.

Being slightly nearsighted I struggle to press the OK button in time. When I am in time, the unlock is successful.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

Lost Iris authentication
    Hmm. After locking Hello (see above) then successfully authenticating with PIN, Iris authentication is not restored.
    If I use the phone's power button to to see the system authentication page, the same behavior remains:
    " Windows Hello has been blocked due to too many verification attempts. To unblock Hello, enter your PIN."

Powering off the phone (shutdown), then on, restored Iris Authentication.

(not yet sure if this is a repeatable issue)

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

<brackets>
    Hmm. looks like the display of this forum removes the info I put in brackets (like the 1st & 3rd line of this post)
    <another>

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like the error is generated by the Store App (have another app which gives the same kind of errors, although it has a different error number). I'm running Windows 10.0.10586.63 (Insider Fast build)

• @Tims_AgileBits sorry to hear you are having issues with iris scanner. It looks like the issue is happening when we ask system to verify your identity by entering PIN, scanning iris or fingerprint. Unfortunately this UI and behavior is beyond of our control, this is Windows issue.

@TheVMaster I think I've seen this few times and it was always related to the Store app failing to either connect or to verify Windows activation. But I see you just found that out yourself ;) I'd recommend to check if there is an update to the phone available, that clock is synchronized and then to reboot it again to make sure there are no hanging setups. I believe most of the times these issues are solved by themselves within a day.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile I've seen it several times before, but this time it keeps failing for almost more then a week now :(

It's installing....Restoring user data....installing and then just failed :(

I'm did some more testing. I've fixed the other failed app, rebooted and then the app automatically tries to install itself....but it failed again... :(

update: Also removed the 'failed' 1password installation, checked for updates (no updates found), rebooted....tried to install 1password again. Still fails with the earlier mentioned error.

What's next...factory reset of the phone? :(

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to use Windows Hello so that 1Password only presents me with Iris and not PIN?

I have filed a request to have PIN removed from the consent verifier, or at least made optional. I recommend you cast your vote for it.

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member
    Options

Also somewhat relevant: as far as I can tell, there's no way to disable roaming of specific PasswordCredentials programmatically. I filed a request to make this possible as well.

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited January 2016
    Options

@TheVMaster a week is too long. I wish I could remember what fixed similar issue for me, I think it was a reset + some time. But definitely not a week.

I do remember I had to revert to Windows 8 to go back to Windows 10 with one of the insider builds, but I think it was 2+ months ago.

• @elyscape yep, I'd like to be able to specify which verification methods are desired.

As for Credential Manager unfortunately right now there is no way to selectively prevent it from roaming. We are looking into how well Credential Manager works for 1Password (there might be issues when user setup few devices in a short time span or with network connectivity issues).

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile I could do a reset. I never had an issue with 1Password on my Lumia 930, but with my 950XL it won't install succesful :( But personally I don't think it has anything to do with the 950XL, since @Tims_AgileBits also runs it just fine on a 950....

I already did a factory reset a few weeks ago, but can't really remember if the installation went fine the first time (before the factory reset)....

• @TheVMaster from what I've heard 950XL is a great device, I better get one for myself too. As for resets, I do remember there is a glitch in the process, sometimes phone might looks like it's not doing anything, while in fact it is running an upgrade script (sometimes terribly long, I've heard people saying up to 30 minutes). Just in case you see no setup progress, lock/unlock phone and it will bring the proper screen on top. Hope it will run smooth for you this time ;)

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah.....not sure if a factory reset is the only way to solve the problem.....takes me a few hours to re-configure my device...

• on a theory that there might be something wrong with roaming data for 1Password app ("restoring user data" step in Store app is actually "downloading roaming data from hidden folder in OneDrive") may I suggest to try op://resethard on some other Windows 10 device? Just run it in browser, it will request deletion of all app data (including roaming) and wipe your master password out of Credential Manager.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you decide to use the "hard reset" method (op://resethard), @TheVMaster, please let us know how it goes.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

@Tims_AgileBits, I edited your comment above, putting a backslash ("\") before the closing (right) angle brackets, like this:

<brackets\>

...so the forum software wouldn't interpret the string as some kind of HTML tag. (Seems like a bug to me, but I've learned to try backslashes before problem characters.)

In your "<repeat 3 times>" post, though, the backslashes didn't work, so I replaced the left and right angle brackets with their HTML character entities &lt; (<) and &gt; (>), respectively.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that information, @elyscape.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

I have run the op://resethard on my laptop (with the 1Password beta installed)....but my phone keeps giving the error. Any idea how I can force that the 'emtpy app data' got synced to my OneDrive...

• @TheVMaster once you did op://resethard on laptop all the necessary calls to remove roaming data are done. While it's not documented, we know that roaming sync happens when you lock your user (Windows thinks that user is going away).

Does the Store problem persist with 1Password Beta only or there are other apps that do not want to install?

This discussion has been closed.