Feature Request: 1Password for Teams Chrome Plugin

Options
defiant
defiant
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Business and Teams

Just got my beta invite, so far so good

It would be useful if there was a standalone plugin for Chrome, and the likes, in order to interface directly with 1Password for Teams Vaults - for filling in/generating passwords, as opposed to managing anything.

In some/most enterprise environments software can't be installed on desktop/laptops, however Chrome is becoming increasingly adopted as the primary browser, so having a standalone Chrome plugin would be useful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @defiant,

Thanks for the request! I'll certainly add your vote for a Chrome plugin. While I can't give you any insight into whether or when you might see such a thing, I can tell you that we are definitely working towards expanding the functionality of the web interface of 1Password for Teams, and that may well include a plugin. Stay tuned!

• zauerkraut
    zauerkraut
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW this functionality would certainly satisfy my feature request for better multi-user support. Feel free to close that post with a link here, or consider this a +1 for this feature request.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the consideration @AGLars

Valid call @zauerkraut, though I can see the benefit of multiuser support within the app too

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the +1, @zauerkraut! Let me ask both you and @defiant, if you're willing: in your mind, is there anything in particular about a Chrome plugin that would solve issues that couldn't be addressed by additional functionality being added directly to the web client itself? I ask because they type of functionality I think you're envisioning, either by or , are getting deprecated eventually anyway.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

My assumption is that a Chrome plugin could do login filling without needing to have administrative rights to install the app/helper since the data is all in "the cloud" but if I'm wrong, that's fine. It doesn't bother me as I have admin rights everywhere I care about, but I've seen some folks say that's an issue for them at work.

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

I also have admin rights but company policy won't let me load programs on my works machine. So my family team would have to use the web page to cut and paste.

• zauerkraut
    zauerkraut
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@AGLars I don't have the same need as @dszp with regards to installing native software. My need is that two users who don't necessarily have the same vault access can easily log in, AND out, sometimes simultaneously. In my feature request for better multi-user support I mentioned that since Chrome personas sandbox plugin sessions per persona a chrome plugin that authenticates against the web client instead of the mac client would be satisfactory. That being said, I'd prefer multi-user support to be added to the native mac client as 1Password Mini is incredibly useful (or allow 1Password mini to authenticate against the web client as well adding multi-user support to it).

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

@AGLars, pretty much what @dszp said.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with browsing to your teams URL, logging in, searching for the login, pressing copy, then going back to the website you want to put the password in and pasting it in there it is time consuming.

The workflow would be simplified with a plugin that interfaces directly with your 1pw for teams, being able to fill logins and add new logins speeds the process up.

This is useful for environments which have locked down desktops that don't allow for installation of software. I guess this would also open up the possibility for other operating systems that can run Chrome to be able to utilise 1password for teams.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent points. It would be great if we had a standalone extension that didn't require the desktop app. We don't have any concrete plans, so I don't want to give the wrong impression here. But it's absolutely something that we've discussed. It is very helpful to see what demand there is for it.

As you say, it would likely be useful in a variety of situations: locked down corporate machine, platforms where there is no desktop app yet available, etc.

• gnosko
    gnosko
    Community Member
    Options

This would completely solve the problem of Chromebooks easily integrating with 1Password. If a chrome extension had all the same access to 1P for Teams as it does for the desktop application, Chromebooks would have all the same auto-fill and save functionality with 1P as Macs, etc. I would love to see the Chrome extension integrate directly with Teams.

• Hi @gnosko,

You're right, it would make for a great Chromebook solution. :)

Cheers.

Rick

• six50joe
    six50joe
    Community Member
    Options

+1 * 1000. I've come to depend on 1PW for just about everything personal and work related over the past 4 years. I work for a very large firm (5,000+ R&D employees in our location alone) and have put in multiple requests to our Risk & Security department to allow 1Password as one of the 'blessed' apps users can install on their Windows workstations. They have thus far rejected these requests. I've seen many employees globally asking for the same.

Our only option is to use a special sandboxed version of chrome to get to 1PW Anywhere, but it's cumbersome to have to navigate to it through multiple authentications just to log in to copy/paste a PW to check my bank account balances.

A chrome plugin that could access a 1PW vault directly would solve the problem entirely.

• Jacob
    edited April 2016
    Options

@six50joe Thanks for the (thousand) votes! As others have said in this thread, this is something we've been looking into, and we still are. Development takes a while, but we really do want to get a browser-only solution out there for folks. Keep an eye on our blog and Twitter for updates. I can't say when they will be, but this is an exciting thing we'd all like to see soon. :)

• six50joe
    six50joe
    Community Member
    Options

It hadn't occurred to me until after I wrote my post that a chrome plugin-only solution would likely still not work in our environment, as our company firewall blocks Dropbox (unless you use web login from the sandboxed chrome, where plugins/preferences can't be saved). icloud is not blocked, at least at this time, so theoretically accessing a vault there would work. Just thought I'd mention this since I'm sure there are many other 1PW users that have a similar situation.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@six50joe A Chrome plugin will likely (in my unofficial opinion as an IT consultant, programming amateur, and AgileBits software user) support 1Password for Teams and for Families accounts, but would likely NOT support raw Dropbox or local files. So Dropbox being blocked wouldn't matter, you'd need a subscription account for it. I could be wrong, but the reasons for the extension working with a local service in the installed application still exist for local or Dropbox data and the reason a Chrome extension with Teams/Families would be feasible is the ability to speak directly to a custom server-side API hosted and controlled by AgileBits that would optimize the sync and security process much the way the LastPass service functions with their custom server-hosted service (though of course they've had some security issues that come partly as the result of doing things this way, so I'm sure it would require careful consideration and coding--unlike a lot of amazing alliteration, which happened in my post mostly by accident).

• Jacob
    Options

@six50joe Good to know. I think we can make things work still, though. I mean, we can technically make anything work, it's just a matter of resources. I also wanted to mention what dszp said about Families and Teams, but he already said it. That's likely going to be the center of things since it's easier to connect to our own service, but again this is speculation. We don't have any public plans quite yet, just some entertaining discussion here in the forums. :)

• six50joe
    six50joe
    Community Member
    Options

I'm now considering a Families subscription. Is there a way to determine whether or not I will be able to access the 1PW servers from behind our firewall at work? Is there maybe a URL I could try? Thanks, Joe

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@six50joe I think the best way would be to create your 1Password Families account and then try to access it while you're at work. If it works, you'll be all set! If it doesn't, you'll be able to find out before the 30-day free trial expires, and figure out something from there :)

• Brenda1231
    Brenda1231
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'd like to express interest in the feature request for a stand-alone Chrome extension. I'm using a Chromebook, my work team uses 1Password, and I can't use it on my Chromebook as the Chrome extension requires an app that is not compatible with this platform. Thanks!

• soundyb
    soundyb
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be clear. Is there no option to have mutiple users in a team using a browser extenstion like chrome to autofill bookmarked URLs without accessing a local vault?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd like to express interest in the feature request for a stand-alone Chrome extension. I'm using a Chromebook, my work team uses 1Password, and I can't use it on my Chromebook as the Chrome extension requires an app that is not compatible with this platform. Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know! We're looking at Chrome OS with interest, but don't have anything to announce on that front just yet.

Just to be clear. Is there no option to have mutiple users in a team using a browser extenstion like chrome to autofill bookmarked URLs without accessing a local vault?

That is correct. 1Password extensions don't hold any information on their own; they are simply the conduit through which the native 1Password apps can pass information to a web page.

• soundyb
    soundyb
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

My concern is that there is no way to share a keychain without use of a 3rd party such as a share drive or dropbox etc. Or do I have my wires crossed?

• Yale
    Yale
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

+1 to this. Please make it an extension that opens in a Chome popup window, not a seperate app. It would be great to be able to use 1password and have it fill passwords without having to install the desktop application. This would also solve the issue of not having native clients for Linux and ChomeOS.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@soundyb

My concern is that there is no way to share a keychain without use of a 3rd party such as a share drive or dropbox etc. Or do I have my wires crossed?

That's one option for sharing with other people. The other option is using 1Password Teams, the product to which this forum is devoted ;)

@Yale

+1 to this. Please make it an extension that opens in a Chome popup window, not a seperate app. It would be great to be able to use 1password and have it fill passwords without having to install the desktop application. This would also solve the issue of not having native clients for Linux and ChomeOS.

Like I said above, the 1Password extension does not store any date on its own, and we don't currently have plans to support filling with the extension without a native app installed. We're excited about the possibility of doing something on ChromeOS by taking advantage of its support for Android apps, but we don't have anything to discuss on that front and probably won't for some time to come :)

• soundyb
    soundyb
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

So 1password teams can be used to autofill data in chrome? Couldnt find a way to do this. @nmott

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@soundyb if you sign in to your 1Password account using 1Password for Mac or the beta version of 1Password 6 for Windows, yes, it can be used to autofill data in Chrome. Simply signing in to 1Password.com won't do the trick.

• soundyb
    soundyb
    Community Member
    Options

Tired this with beta for windows and though it would go to a url, it would not autofill username and password and login. Maybe it was that particular website. Will tinker with it.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@soundyb were you using the Windows 10 beta app available in the Windows Store, or the 1Password 6 for Windows beta that we released through the forums a while back? Only the latter supports browser extensions at this point in time :)

This discussion has been closed.