How can I restore the content of 1Password?

Options
R.A.A.
R.A.A.
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I see them in User>Library>Application Supp>Password>back-ups, but they don't work. I chanced _zip to .zip, than unzipped but than I get a .sqlite, what still does not work.

1Password Version: 3.01
Extension Version: non
OS Version: OS X 10.8.5
Sync Type: non
Referrer: forum-search: I lost all content from 1Password after cleaning and reinstalling my hard disc. How can I find and

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @R.A.A.,

Since we're talking about 1Password 3 here, I've moved the discussion to our Legacy forum, just to keep things neat and tidy.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password!

Restoring a backup doesn't require unzipping files or anything fancy. All you need to do is go to File > Restore in 1Password and select the appropriate backup, in its current form.

Please let me know if this helps!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @R.A.A.,

You mention 1Password 3 in the version details but an SQLite database file would be a backup from either 1Password 4 or 5 as 1Password 3 doesn't use that format for storing your vault.

Now the steps for restoring a backup in 1Password 4/5 are the same as 1Password 3 so what Megan has said still applies. If you're still having trouble though can you please confirm which version of 1Password you are running please.

• R.A.A.
    R.A.A.
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Megan and littlebobbytables,
    Thanks for the quick reaction. I had 1Password4, but after cleaning up my hard disk this would not work. After re-installing again and again it turned out to be 1Password3.
    Since I put to you my problem, I got another idea to solve the problem. Why not reinstall 1Password4 via TimeMachine? So I did, and now I have 1Password4 with all my passwords and info. Problem solved. Thanks for your service!
    Sincerely,

Ruud de Brouwer

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @R.A.A.,

Normally you shouldn't need to restore an application from Time Machine but in instances like this all that really matters is that you have access to your vault. If it took an unusual route but you have access then who can argue :smile: I'm just glad to hear you have your vault back and things seem to be okay again. Let us know if this changes at all.

This discussion has been closed.