1password not filling all form fields

When saving the form login through chrome extension after trying to auto fill the form only username and password fields get filled, this form is for creating a new test user on a website so as I understand it gets interpreted as a login and only fills those 2 fields. If I leave username and password empty then all the other fields get filled in. So the workaround is to have 2 logins saved but as I understand this is not how it should be?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Arm: 1Password doesn't autofill, so it sounds like you may have the browser doing that. Could that be the case?

But regardless, without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the browser and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, if you're having trouble with specific sites, often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work. And the URL will likely be important information as well. Thanks in advance! :)

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

I am using latest Chrome(47.0.2526.73 m) @brenty and latest chrome extension( 4.4.3.90). The issue is that I do save them manually and I see all fields under "web form details" section but when I click ctrl+/ it only fills logins, it happens on multiple websites. One example would be here If you fill all the fields on the right and manually save the log in, when auto filling it only fills email portion of the form even though login in 1password seems to contain all fields

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

It seems to happen when there are any of the login credential material mixed in the form. If it only has other data it has no problem repopulating that, but if there are any of the username/password (email probably as well) fields in the form then only those fields get repopulated and "web form details" section of the login item gets ignored.

• Hi @Arm,

I don't see any Login form on the photographer site. The Login filling is tuned for filling Login fields, it is not meant for filling all sorts of forms, especially like registration forms for events.

We have Identity filling that can do the job like this because you can reuse it on any number of site since it has the same data everywhere. If you fill out all of your information in the Identity item and use that, it should fill as much as it can find. If there is a Login form mixed in, you can then use the Login item to fill in the rest.

Have you try using the Identity item instead of saving each Login item manually?

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

@MikeT I thought I can use save as login for any kind of form, wouldn't it mean that if it was a log in form that had other fields rather than email/password they would not get filled? I'm a developer so I was just going to save temporary form fillings for testing purposes, that would have been helpful, but like I said It works like expected if you leave fields that can be interpreted as login blank. Then I just create 2 logins and each handle separate fillings. I would assume you guys would still want to fill all the fields in the form regardless no?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Arm,

Mike asked me to take a look because I've been lucky enough to spend time with developers regarding our extension. I'm not an expert but my knowledge grows with every exploration :smile:

We have two filling behaviours that that are chosen from.

• Fill by HTML Attribute. This is where we fill using all the details stored in the web form details section. We only use this filling behaviour after comparing a fingerprint of the page you're trying to fill and the web form details section of the Login item. They have to match precisely otherwise we fall back on...
    • Fill by HTML designation. This is where we only attempt to fill the username and password as stored in the Login item and do so evaluating all the fields to find the best match for the username and password.

Returning to the example you supplied, does this knowledge help explain your observations?

When I look at the example form you supplied I found the same as you, it records almost all of the fields (it didn't record the message) but when attempting to fill it only fills the email. It's only filling the email because after falling back to Fill by HTML designation 1Password is only trying to fill the username field as there is no password. So that's why it's just the email address. Why is it falling back to the second filling behaviour though? I had to compare a copy of the source before and after a reload of the page to find the answer to this. In the example page you supplied the ID for the event date changes on each reload - it's dynamic. We use both the name and ID attributes in the fingerprint. If I alter the source of the page so the ID matches the one we recorded then everything fills as expected.

Other experiences may be for similar reasons but I couldn't say with any degree of confidence without reviewing them. This is the cause for this particular page though.

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

Could an option be added to force fill all the details with another key combination to the app? This could be introduced as a new feature I guess. 1password could be really useful when it comes to having form filling as a developer, I'm sure other devs would agree on this.

P.S. sometimes 1password does not fill remember me checkboxes and as I understand it's because of this solution so some kind of option to force fill everything on a login item may be an option as well?

CC @littlebobbytables

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @Arm,

If you recall which site has the checkboxes issue, please let us know. You can report problematic site filling with our bug reporter included in the extension by clicking on the 1Password icon and go to Settings > Report issue with site, this option only shows up after the filling is attempted first.

Could an option be added to force fill all the details with another key combination to the app?

We'll certainly keep it in mind and see what kind of clever algorithm we can come up with in addition to the other two we have in place. As I mentioned before, for now, the Identity filler is the best option for filling most of the fields that can be mapped to the fields inside the Identity template.

The hesitation is that we had something like this in the past and it caused a lot of problems with much worse accuracy than what we have now with several algorithms for the Login filling. We had a lot of users that used to use this for daily entires into contests, so we know that this is useful for many users. We'll see what we can do. For now, please keep reporting these issue to us as we can see where we can focus on fixing first.

• lion_mac
    lion_mac
    Community Member

Hello all,

I new at 1Password. I would like the app to fill in all the credit card fields while I am ordering a flight ticket at www.voeazul.com.br
    I don't know the reason -- perhaps because it is not written in plain Eng -- but albeit I have all of the fields stored in the app, it only fill the credit card number when I launch it. How does this match of fields really work behind the scenes? Any ideas?

Thanks

• Hi @lion_mac,

Thanks for telling us about your issue.
    I've tested the site in Chrome and Firefox and couldn't find any issue with filling the credit card details. The thing that wasn't filled was the CPF/CNPJ field because there's no equivalent for this in 1Password.

Which browser did you use? Firefox or Chrome?

Cheers!

• lion_mac
    lion_mac
    Community Member

Hello Alex,

Thanks for you prompt response. I am using Safari and OS X. I have even tried to create more entries in the credit card information (see below). Any ideas?

Cheers

• Hi!

1Password will only fill the predefined form fields. Am I right in assuming that 'Nome do proprietário do cart…' is equivalent to 'Cardholder name'? Does it not fill this information? What about 'Código de segurança' is this the CVV or security code of a credit card?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.