Adding Windows to Mac + iOS syncing?

Options

I'm a user of 1Password on iOS and Mac (licensed via Mac App Store). I choose to do all of my syncing via iCloud. I understand that Windows doesn't have a CloudKit implementation, so it can't sync via iCloud. Is it possible to sync the data between iOS and Windows, perhaps using wifi syncing? Can I do this in addition to iCloud syncing, or is it either/or from the perspective of the iOS device? (If it's either/or, is it simple enough to switch back and forth between syncing options on iOS, or is that not practical?)

Also, does 1Password 4 for Windows interoperate correctly with 1Password 5 for Mac?

Finally, does 1Password for Windows support Windows 10? The system requirements listed on your main website say Windows 7/8, but some forum posts suggest Windows 10 is also supported.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @Mike_P,

Is it possible to sync the data between iOS and Windows, perhaps using wifi syncing? Can I do this in addition to iCloud syncing, or is it either/or from the perspective of the iOS device? (If it's either/or, is it simple enough to switch back and forth between syncing options on iOS, or is that not practical?)

It is not possible for the iOS app to sync to multiple sources, you can only pick one source per vault and it is not practical to switch between computers as well for the Wi-Fi sync. The Wi-Fi sync in the iOS app keeps track of the sync'ed data, so when you de-pair it from one PC, it has to repeat the entire pairing process with the other PC to scan the entire database. It can cause issues if it can't decide which side has the right data.

Unfortunately, at least until we add CloudKit support on Windows in the future, there isn't a way to make this work. There is an option you can use to remain in the iCloud ecosystem; use the iOS app to sync with Mac via Wi-Fi and use iCloud Drive to sync the data folder between Mac and PC. In the Mac app, you would need to switch from iCloud to Folder Sync to store the sync folder in your iCloud Drive.

Install iCloud Drive panel for Windows and configure 1Password for Windows to open the data folder from iCloud Drive.

Also, does 1Password 4 for Windows interoperate correctly with 1Password 5 for Mac?

Yes, we target our data format standard across platforms, so the data can be used between multiple versions and cross-platform as much as possible. At the moment, 1Password 4 for Windows is compatible with 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 6 for iOS.

Finally, does 1Password for Windows support Windows 10? The system requirements listed on your main website say Windows 7/8, but some forum posts suggest Windows 10 is also supported.

Yes, 1Password does support Windows 10. The only thing is that Microsoft does not support extensions for Edge, so that means no 1Password support for Edge until Edge is updated first to enable extensions. For now, you can use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 and/or other browsers we do support such as Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.

• Mike_P
    Mike_P
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that info. I'm not sure I want to do folder syncing (it seems perilous in comparison to normal iCloud syncing). Is there a way to export a vault from either Mac or iOS and then import in Windows (thereby effectively treating Windows as a read only copy)?

• Hi @Mike_P,

I'm not sure I want to do folder syncing (it seems perilous in comparison to normal iCloud syncing).

Actually, iCloud sync is slightly more perilous than the folder sync because it's hard to diagnose problems without Apple's help in most cases. Wi-Fi Sync + Folder Sync is more in our/your control because we can directly handle the files whereas CloudKit sync is handled by Apple and done in the background, we don't see any files/folders to work with.

Is there a way to export a vault from either Mac or iOS and then import in Windows (thereby effectively treating Windows as a read only copy)?

We do not recommend doing this because exporting means to extract the data in clear view without any protection.

What you can do is configure the Mac app to create a sync folder that you can copy to your PC. It's almost identical to the previous suggestion: Enable Folder sync in the Mac app, put it in your preferred folder and copy it to your PC, then switch the Mac app back to the iCloud sync.

This discussion has been closed.