I am unable to setup 1Password to sync with iCloud [requires Mac App Store version of 1Password]

Options
ooordner
ooordner
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

I just purchased and installed 1Password on Mac. I already use 1 Password on iOS and the iOS devices sync to iCloud. My Mac is at OS 10.11.2. 1Password is at 5.4.1. When I ran 1Password on the Mac, and selected that I am already a 1Password user, I did not have the option to sync from iCloud, only from Dropbox and my local Mac. So, I went back and started as a new user, then tried to add syncing via iCloud in Preferences. iCloud sync is not an option in Sync Preferences either. How can I get my 1 Password to sync with my current iCloud Vault? If I cannot get this to work, I would like a refund.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:iCloud

Comments

• juliadoherty
    juliadoherty
    Community Member
    Options

I also have the same problem. ICloud is activated and the drive is there, but it is not available on the 1Password sync dropdown - only Dropbox and folder. Help!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@ooordner and @juliadoherty - iCloud is only available for syncing 1Password data if your license was purchased from the Mac App Store. Apple only allows access to the required technology for apps they sell themselves through one of their App Stores. There is a caution about that on the AgileBits store page. The version number posted by @ooordner is definitely from the AgileBits web store, not the Mac App Store. Since @juliadoherty did not say what version is in use, the required information isn't there to be completely sure, but this is always the reason why iCloud isn't available for syncing.

If iCloud syncing is important to you, you will need to buy a license from Apple. If you feel this is that important, and if you bought your licenses from AgileBits within the past 30 days, they will issue a refund and you can then buy from the Mac App Store. Dropbox has a couple of advantages over iCloud that have me preferring it. Dropbox permits syncing multiple vaults and it allows you to share data with another user. iCloud doesn't permit either. But that's a choice each user mast make.

• juliadoherty
    juliadoherty
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I am getting into a bit of a mess with my 1Password. I have had 1Password for a while now and it has worked fine.
    This week I got excited as they introduced 1Password Teams. I downloaded 1Password 5 from the Agile store, synchronised with my MacBook air, and my iPhone - it works a treat. I then got to my place of work and downloaded 1Password5 from agilebits onto my Work iMac and went to syncronise, but it doesn't work. I do have the Teams vaults on there, but my primary vault is not there. When I go to synchronise with iCloud it is not shown as a dropdown - but perhaps this is because I have the agile version, not the app version) - but I need the agile version to get the team vaults. I am now copying info from my primary vault into a "Julia" vault on the team 1password, but it is getting messy.

(Sorry for the long post).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@juliadoherty -

When I go to synchronise with iCloud it is not shown as a dropdown - but perhaps this is because I have the agile version, not the app version)

Yes, that's why. But since Teams is in beta, and because Apple doesn't provide a way to use beta version through the Mac App Store, the AgileBits version is your only choice, as you said

but I need the agile version to get the team vaults.

You can switch over to Dropbox for your personal vault that is separate from Teams. Dropbox is no less secure than iCloud, and it isn't hard to set up.

I am now copying info from my primary vault into a "Julia" vault on the team 1password

No need to do that, if you're willing to sync with Dropbox.

Be sure to take a look at the 1Password for Teams beta section of the forum too.

• juliadoherty
    juliadoherty
    Community Member
    Options

Right, I will synchronise with Dropbox - thank you.

It is weird how it all worked on my MacBook air - but not the iMac.

Thanks for your help.
    x

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @juliadoherty,

Sorry for the confusion! If you're able to use iCloud sync on your MacBook Air, then you're definitely using the Mac App Store version of the app there. There is currently no possible way to use both Teams and iCloud sync in one app. But that's just for now, while Teams is in beta. We will be adding Teams support to the Mac App Store version by the time Teams officially launches sometime in the new year.

Meanwhile, Dropbox sync works great. If you have any other questions about setting that up, we're here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.