Re: How can I move vault to another folder? - Folder not displayed

Options
Jim_Kel
Jim_Kel
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

I am trying to identify the name and location of my 1Password primary vault.

I am a new user - converted from Roboform. It took a few tries. I have several .agilekeychain files in different locations. I want to delete the ones that are NOT in use. Unfortunately, my Finder information about creation date and last opened date do not help me.

I have the Mac version purchased from the App store, on a Macbook running Yosemite. I think the primary file is at the root of my Documents folder. There is also a folder with the same 1Password name with apparently backups of the file. One of them has the same primary vault name 1Password, and is only a few minutes old. Another has a different name, and refers to an .agilekeychain file that I originally set up on the trial version.

You have a note about moving vaults - this suggests that the file will be displayed under Preferences - Sync. But mine only shows the iCloud sync information, not the folder location of the vault on this Mac.

You also have a forum note about the location appearing under 2BUA...:
~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/
I do have such a folder, but it contains a lot of apparent duplicate information, such as my downloads, documents, ...

Once again, I'm trying to clean up. First by eliminating spurious trial vaults. Then possibly move the primary vault to a less obvious location that I use for this kind of private stuff!

Which vault is active?

Jim

1Password Version: 5.4 (540046) Mac App Store
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version:_10.10.5
_Sync Type:
iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/general-preferences, ug:mac/security-preferences, ug:mac/watchtower-preferences, ug:mac/browser-preferences, kb:move-vault

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jim_Kel,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

The canonical location of 1Password data is in your ~/Library folder.

Since you are using the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, it is indeed located here:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

If you were using the version of 1Password from our website, it would be here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

We do not recommend ever modifying files in either location.

The .agilekeychain files are only sync data stores. So you can actually delete all of them if you wish. Though, I would recommend archiving them rather than deleting them. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

1Password will create a new .agilekeychain from your data for the purposes of syncing with Dropbox when you [disable and then re-]enable Dropbox syncing on the Sync preference pane.

Of course, you could also simply note the location there if you wish to know the currently active .agilekeychain that 1Password is using to sync. Here is an example of my own Sync preference pane showing the path on my own machine.

I hope that helps. Please do be careful, and be sure to have a current backup before archiving — and definitely before deleting — anything. Back up both in 1Password by choosing File > Backup from the menu bar, and also have a backup of your Mac using Time Machine, SuperDuper, CrashPlan, etc. All of the above is always preferable. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Cheers!

• Jim_Kel
    Jim_Kel
    Community Member
    Options

Khad,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. And to help me identify the prime location of the 1Password data:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

However, your Sync Preferences pane does NOT show the location of your 1Password file on your Mac - rather, it seems to show the location of the sync file in Dropbox.

So, once again, if I backup everything, and leave the Library container file alone, and move the the possible primary .agilekeychain file (in root of Documents, probably a default location) to a new location, and delete the others, will I be OK?????

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim_Kel: Probably, but to be safe, please make a fresh backup (1Password > File > Backup, Backup Now, Find Backup) and copy it somewhere safe. That way you can simply restore from it if it turns out you're barking up the wrong vault. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.