Does Cookies blocking help security?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Lounge

I'm wondering what Agilebits thinks about this? We're constantly being tracked. Or has the world moved on and cookies are now considered passé? Flash (Local Shared Objects) were once touted as persistent cookies.

This is an indirect question to 1Password. There doesn't appear much choices on smartphones. There also isn't any Flash in smartphones. I'm concerned about Cookies as a whole.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: It's really more of a privacy issue, rather than security. All the major browsers now have 'private browsing modes', and there are also a lot of great extensions for this: Ghostery, AdBlock, and NoScript. Personally, I find it to be more of an annoyance than anything. I just don't like ads (at all, really) following me around from site to site. Your mileage may vary.

And while plenty of people much smarter than me have weighed in on this complex issue, I think it's also important to note that while AgileBits doesn't depend on advertising or collecting user data to stay in business (we don't know know who you are and don't want to), many of the websites and services you and I depend on do.

So it's really a delicate balancing act, not only from a technical perspective (e.g. privacy extensions breaking modern websites that depend on scripting to function), but also ethically, since part of the 'deal' in using many of these things (implicit, since it isn't always disclosed; explicit, when it's clearly part of the terms of service) is that we get a service in exchange for our data.

I guess my point is that cookies are really the least of my concerns, since there are much more insidious tracking practices at work — most of which I've signed myself up for, often willingly. As users, we have options, but often this means opting out of things that are really useful.

This discussion has been closed.