Vault content's can not be opened after upgrade to El Capitan

ThumperWabbitThumperWabbit Junior Member

Finally upgraded to OS X 10.11 El Capitan from Yosemite and now the contents of my vault can not be opened. The vault will mount to the desktop but all the content files are grayed out and clicking on them launches a dialog box: "Item [filename] is used by OS X and can't be opened." i only keep a single simple vault on my local disk, no copying or syncing. Any ideas?

Comments

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

Team Member

I'm wondering if Knox is doing its automatic backup and putting the files in read only mode. Do you have Knox configured to do automatic backups? If so, could you try disabling them temporarily to see if that helps (you might need to reboot after disabling the backups)?

If that isn't it, try quitting Knox and opening the vault with DiskImageMounter by right-clicking (or Control-clicking) on the vault and selecting "Open With > DiskImageMounter" to see if you can access the files that way.

• ThumperWabbitThumperWabbit Junior Member

Unfortunately, DiskImageMounter can not open the files in the vault. I've tried several solutions to open a sparse bundle to see if the files are retrievable but to no success. I'm guessing that Knox has just shut these files off and they are now lost. That really shouldn't happen.

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

Team Member

Knox is actually just an easier interface for using the encrypted sparsebundle technology that is built into OS X, so it sounds like something else is going on there. Are you saying you didn't make any backups (either using the built-in backup tool in Knox or with Time Machine)? If you did, we might be able to to get you access that way.

This discussion has been closed.