Using iMac running OS 10.7.5, 1Password 3.8.22. Need help migrating to new Mac running OS 10.11.2

LD51
LD51
Community Member

I'm currently using an ancient (2007) iMac running 10.7.5. I'm using 1Password 3.8.22 on that iMac. Just purchased a MacBook Air running OS10.11.2 - but I haven't yet migrated my date from old iMac to Air because I want to make sure I have my 1Password ducks in a row before I do.
So, do I have to upgrade to 1Password 5 to use it on my new MacBook Air? If so, do I do that upgrade on the old iMac before migrating data, or migrate the old 1Password 3.8.22 and then upgrade once it's on the new Mac? I should also probably mention that I am running the iOS versions on both my iPhone (a 6S running iOS 9.2) and my iPad mini (also running iOS 9.2) and it would be really helpful to have all devices sync over iCloud.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:check-extension-version, kb-search:OSX Leopard, kb:legacy-versions

Comments

• LD51
    LD51
    Community Member

I'm currently using an ancient (2007) iMac running 10.7.5. I'm using 1Password 3.8.22 on that iMac. Just purchased a MacBook Air running OS10.11.2 - but I haven't yet migrated my date from old iMac to Air because I want to make sure I have my 1Password ducks in a row before I do.
    So, do I have to upgrade to 1Password 5 to use it on my new MacBook Air? If so, do I do that upgrade on the old iMac before migrating data, or migrate the old 1Password 3.8.22 and then upgrade once it's on the new Mac? I should also probably mention that I am running the iOS versions on both my iPhone (a 6S running iOS 9.2) and my iPad mini (also running iOS 9.2) and it would be really helpful to have all devices sync over iCloud.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
    Extension Version: 3.9.20
    OS Version: 10.7.5
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LD51,

I noticed you opened two different discussions for help with this, so I've merged them into the same thread to avoid confusion.

We can definitely help you out here! There are a few options to go over:

So, do I have to upgrade to 1Password 5 to use it on my new MacBook Air?

Technically, 1Password 3 will work on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), but there are some quirks/compatibility issues you would run into. We have more information about that here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

I think you'll have a much better experience if you upgrade to 1Password 5, which fully supports El Capitan. If you upgrade your license through our AgileBits Store, you can get a discount - just visit this site and enter your license code to see your upgrade discount and options. However, please note that the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac doesn't include the iCloud sync option. But Dropbox sync is also a great option, and it even has some advantages over iCloud sync, such as being able to sync secondary vaults, and also share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers (it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts).

If you want to use iCloud sync in 1Password between your MacBook Air and iOS devices, you'll need to purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store. That's because the iCloud sync option uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. The only drawback here is that Apple does not give us the ability to do upgrade pricing on the Mac App Store, so you would need to buy 1Password 5 for Mac at the full price shown there.

For more information on the differences between the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password, please check out this knowledgebase article: Should I buy 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store?

If so, do I do that upgrade on the old iMac before migrating data, or migrate the old 1Password 3.8.22 and then upgrade once it's on the new Mac?

You won't be able to install 1Password 5 on OS X 10.7.5, because it requires OS X 10.10 or 10.11. But that's not a problem, and there are a few ways to get your data from 1Password 3 on the iMac to 1Password 5 on your new MacBook Air.

Do you have all your 1Password data on your iPhone and/or iPad? If so (and assuming you're using the latest version of 1Password for iOS), you can sync the data from your iPhone/iPad to 1Password 5 on your new Mac. We have some more information in this section of the user guide.

Similarly, on your iMac, is 1Password 3 set up to sync with Dropbox? If so, that makes the migration very easy - just follow the appropriate steps in the user guide from the above link.

There are other ways to get your 1Password 3 data to 1Password 5 on a different Mac, so if you have trouble with the above suggestions, just let us know.

That's probably a lot of information to digest, but please let us know if you have more questions about upgrading or need help to get your data into 1Password 5 for Mac. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.