OPVault from Agile Keychain

Options

I'm attempting to switch to OPVault following https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/win.html, but I have a few concerns.

First, during the migration, I had two popups about items already existing despite importing into a blank OPVault, and I'm unclear as to why this would happen, or whether I've potentially lost data.

Also, at least 4 items seem to have moved from "Accounts" to "Logins", is there any way to figure out what happened, or whether I'm losing data here?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.BETA-596
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

First, during the migration, I had two popups about items already existing despite importing into a blank OPVault, and I'm unclear as to why this would happen, or whether I've potentially lost data.

@TheDave: This will happen if you've got duplicate titles. I'm not sure how 1Password notifying you of this would lead you to believe that you've lost data. Can you elaborate?

Also, at least 4 items seem to have moved from "Accounts" to "Logins", is there any way to figure out what happened, or whether I'm losing data here?

What do you mean by "moved"? Did you perhaps have some old, pre-1Password 4 data? Obviously we can't look at your data. We don't have it, and I can't imagine you'd want us to. But it should be simple enough to look at your old vault, the exported data, and compare it to your new vault. Please let me know what you find!

• Hi @TheDave,

First, during the migration, I had two popups about items already existing despite importing into a blank OPVault

Say no to the second prompt. The issue is that 1Password is comparing the incoming new item to an existing data it just imported. I agree, it makes no sense to do this in a blank vault but we don't make assumption about the vault's status before we import it. This is something we plan to overhaul in the future.

Accounts has been phased out a while ago for OPVault, we've migrated most of its categories into Logins. Try this:

1. In the main 1Password program, go to the View menu to deselect both Wallet and Accounts. You should see the sidebar expanded to show all categories.
    2. Now, switch back to the previous .agilekeychain vault and do the same thing to expand the sidebar and compare the item counts, do they match to the OPVault's sidebar?
  • TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

brenty,

What do you mean by "moved"? Did you perhaps have some old, pre-1Password 4 data?

This is what I mean by "Moved", the total item account appears to be correct but items are no longer categorized as they were in the .agilekeychain format. Compare the two screenshots, one agilekeychain and one .OPVault.

If this is intentional, and it sounds like it is per MikeT's comments, then it's not necessarily a problem -- And while the item counts are the same, I was concerned about any possibility that item level data was lost/changed/modified in any fashion (and data jumping between categories without explanation isn't a good sign)

Regarding the duplicate item import, I'll comment on this further later, once I have a chance to compare the results a bit further.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @TheDave,

Yep, that looks like four of your account items were migrated to Logins. We had this for several years now, it didn't cause any major issues.

If you disable the Wallet/Account groups, you'll be able to see which ones specifically to make sure the data migrated properly. Basically, once disabled, you'll see 4 items in a specific category in AgileKeychain's sidebar that no longer shows up in the OPVault's sidebar. This will help you find these 4 items in Logins via OPVault and compare the data.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

When it comes to comparing data, I don't suppose there is any way to open two instances or two vaults at once, is there?

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @TheDave,

That'd be nice, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, not at the moment as the program is structured as a single document model and so it can't view more than one file.

There is a way though since you're on Windows 10. You could try to install the 1Password for Windows 10 Store beta version and open the opvault in there to compare it with agilekeychain in the desktop app. However, keep in mind that since it is a beta, it might not be a solid way to compare the data but if they both show up the same, then you know it's all good.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

I was considering the Windows 10 version, but I was hoping to have identical UIs side-by-side.

Is there any limit to the number of times I can activate or the number of machines where I can install it? I can just install on a temporary VM, unless there is any downside to temporary installations?

• Hi @TheDave,

We don't keep track of activations, installs or anything like that. You can use the same license on any PCs where you'd be the 1Password user and you can even share the same license with up to 5 family members of the same household in addition to yourself for the total of 6 users.

This discussion has been closed.