WiFi sync problems in between MAC book Pro with iPhone & iPad

Options
marclegrand
marclegrand
Community Member

Hello Agilebits.

I wanted to let you know of an issue with the WiFi sync in between my MAC book Pro running OS X 10.11.2 with 1Password 5.4.1 and my iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 9.2 with 1Password ver 6.1.2 as well as my iPad.

My WiFi sync, after the initial setup and sync will not work any more.

I found out that when having the Thunderbolt adapter for a cabled connection and enabling the WiFi and then sync it to your iPhone you see the IP address of the cabled connection and not the IP address of the WiFi connection. You can then sync it once (the initial one) and after that never again as you just get the error message that the 1Password couldn't find a MAC or PC to sync with.

The only way to sync it is to disable sync and then re add/select the MAC on your iPhone.

If you take out the Thunderbolt adapter for a cabled connection and only have the WiFi connection, disable sync on the iPhone and then it can't find the MAC on the iPhone when you re-enable the sync.

This problem only started when I bought my iPhone 6S Plus because before with my iPhone 4S everything was OK.

After I bought my iPhone 6S Plus, I can't sync the iPad or the old iPhone 4S any more. Disable sync on the iPad&iPhone 4S and then it can't find the MAC when you re-enable the WiFi sync (both with and without the Thunderbolt cable connected).

It would be nice if you could look at this.

Thanks, Marc

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 6.1.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, ug:ios/sync-over-wifi, ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, ug:ios/sync-over-wifi, kb:sync-options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marclegrand: Sorry for the confusion! To be clear, 1Password does not support syncing over a cable (I suspect you meant Lightning). It sounds like you're actually having the "Computer not found" issue with 1Password for iOS mentioned in the forum announcement. Please follow the steps there to sync again. We have a fix for this and will release it once testing is complete. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• marclegrand
    marclegrand
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Brenty. No Lightning. I use the Thunderbolt to LAN RJ45 adapter to have a 1 Gb/s connection to my router.
    I have tried the Reset Wi-Fi Sync settings in 1Password for iOS (ref: OPI-3247) and that didn't help.
    Currently I can't sync any of the iOS devices (iPad 3, iPhone 4s) after I started using my iPhone 6S Plus.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@marclegrand: Ah, well I can imagine that you're using Thunderbolt on your Mac, but it isn't possible to connect an iOS device using Thunderbolt since they only have Lightning ports. :lol:

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but your original description matched the All Vaults sync bug and workaround exactly:

You can then sync it once (the initial one) and after that never again as you just get the error message that the 1Password couldn't find a MAC or PC to sync with.
    The only way to sync it is to disable sync and then re add/select the MAC on your iPhone.

Are you saying that that is no longer the case?

If you take out the Thunderbolt adapter for a cabled connection and only have the WiFi connection, disable sync on the iPhone and then it can't find the MAC on the iPhone when you re-enable the sync.

To be clear, Wi-Fi Sync is designed to work over Wi-Fi, but this is completely transparent to 1Password. Wi-Fi Sync discovery is handled entirely by Bonjour, so 1Password doesn't have any control over interface switching, or even know which is which. This also sounds like you're running into that same bug, as 1Password for iOS no longer recognizes that it's the same server.

However, if you're convinced that it's something else entirely, please follow the steps in this guide:

Wi-Fi Sync troubleshooting

If it isn't the bug in 1Password that is causing the disconnect, then it will be something outside of 1Password — in your network environment — so it's important to check that thoroughly to narrow down the problem. Please let me know what you find!

• marclegrand
    marclegrand
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Brenty

I understand that 1Password only syncs over WiFi and it was working fine until I bought my iPhone 6S Plus.

Just power cycled my router with built in WiFi and it started working normally again. Something must have happened on the day i bought and accessed my iPhone 6S Plus to my WiFi network.
    It is strange though that the iPhone 4S displays the Thunderbolt fixed LAN IP address and the iPad3 the WiFi address of my MAC book Pro when syncing!
    It now works as well disconnecting the Thunderbolt LAN adapter and only have the WiFi connected on the MAC Book Pro.

Thanks for this wonderful products.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just power cycled my router with built in WiFi and it started working normally again. Something must have happened on the day i bought and accessed my iPhone 6S Plus to my WiFi network.

@marclegrand: Awesome! I'm glad that did the trick! :chuffed:

It is strange though that the iPhone 4S displays the Thunderbolt fixed LAN IP address and the iPad3 the WiFi address of my MAC book Pro when syncing!
    It now works as well disconnecting the Thunderbolt LAN adapter and only have the WiFi connected on the MAC Book Pro.

I agree. That is odd, but I'm glad to say that it's a red herring for our purposes! I don't know all of the details of what Bonjour does behind the scenes, but I'm happy when it works properly. :lol:

Thanks for this wonderful products.

You're totally welcome! But of course we couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our wonderful customers. Thanks so much for your support! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.