Unable to install Firefox browser extension

Options

After reading numerous articles about problems installing the firefox browser extension, I am still unable to install it. Under Windows 7 and Firefox 42, when I click on the big green button to install the extension, it says it is downloading, but nothing happens. There is no warning that pops up saying to allow the installation. I've disabled Avast, disabled blocking popup windows, and many other things, but it does not install. I found one article that said to use Chrome, Firefox ESR, or update 1Password. This is the latest version of 1Password, and switching browsers is not an option, so I guess 1Password is not an option. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad to try it. I'm a longtime 1Password user on my Macs, and wanted to give 1Password to my brother for Christmas. Bummer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zBernie: Avast may be breaking the secure connection by installing their own certificate, which poses as the various websites you visit. We can't stop them from doing that; only you can. Unfortunately this is a common practice these days. You may need to remove their certificate — and you'll probably want to.

Alternatively, you can download the Firefox extension in another browser and drag it to Firefox to install it manually. But again, I'd be more concerned about the root cause. Please let me know what you find!

• Hi @zBernie,

Unfortunately, disabling Avast is not enough, they still work even in this state.

Here's how to work around this: https://support.1password.com/cannot-install-extension/#install-the-extension-manually

Use the 1Password extension version 4.4.3 link as 4.4.4 is only available for Safari.

• zBernie
    zBernie
    Community Member
    Options

Using MikeT's solution did not work for me. I even accessed control panel, and completely remove the Avast browser extension. Then I downloaded the .xpi files, tried dragging it to the extensions window, and nothing. I also tried installing the extensions from file, and it does nothing. I tried versions 4.4.3 and also 4.4.5, and again nothing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zBernie: To be clear, removing the Avast browser extension will not disable Avast on your system. You can try to reinstall Firefox itself too. It may simply be damaged. But if Avast or anything else on your system is preventing the extension from being installed, that will be something you'll need to address before you'll be able to use 1Password in the browser I'm afraid. Please let me know how it turns out!

• zBernie
    zBernie
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I removed the Avast browser extension and had Avast completely disabled, and still could not install the 1Password extension. I'm leaning on installing another password manager, this has become too much of a headache. But thanks for your help.

• Hi @zBernie,

I'm sorry to hear that, we would still love to help you and if you'd like more assistance, please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com, we'll try other ways.

This discussion has been closed.