OPVault inside Dropbox not recognized [OPVault support added for Dropbox in version 6.3]

mtubini
mtubini
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Android

I have 1 Password for Windows and I create a OPVault format because is safer than Agile Key, I add the folder into DropBox and all works great.

Now I need to sync this OPVault with 1 Password for Android and they do not recognize the folder as a Vault, only when I change to Agile Key Chain the Android app recognize.

Is that possible sync with DropBox and Android using OPVault ?

Thanks,
Marcio

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.0.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• sfringer
    sfringer
    Community Member

Not at this time. The Android version of 1Password does not have OPVault support.

• Hey @mtubini. As @sfringer mentioned, the OPVault format is not yet supported on Android. 1Password on Android uses the Agile Keychain format for Dropbox and local storage sync. We don’t support the OPVault format for these sync methods yet, but this is something that is often requested by our customers, and we are planning on revisiting our plans for OPVault support soon..

We recently introduced Wi-Fi sync that uses an internal version of the OPVault format. If you wish to avoid using Agile Keychain right now, you can switch over to Wi-Fi sync on your Android device and switch to OPVault format on other platforms.

If you prefer to use Dropbox in the meantime, then you'll need to use the Agile Keychain format.

I hope this clarifies things a bit! Let us know if you have further questions. Thanks!

• navara
    navara
    Community Member

Haven't found "Feature Request" page with upvotes, so just I'll +1 for this there. I'll try to setup WiFI sync in meantime, but...

• Thanks for the vote, @navara. I'll pass your feedback along to the team. :)

By the way, I love your Stick of Truth avatar! :lol:

• DML
    DML
    Community Member

I've just wasted time trying to get sync working on Android. Finally found this thread only to find it isn't supported. Very disappointed. Wold definitely not bothered with 1Password if I had known. This should be prominently displayed as a warning to prospective users. Is there any update on when Android support will be delivered?

• martijnr
    martijnr
    Community Member

Just adding my disappointment. Seems this situation has existed for a long time. Glad I only spent a few hours... on 1password so far and haven't purchased it yet.

• @DML and @martijnr Sorry for the trouble! We recently made OPVault the default format on iOS, Mac, and Windows, and we're hoping to add support for OPVault on Android soon. I'll certainly add your votes as well.

I'll also see about getting some documentation out in the meantime, so that this is more obviously apparent. :)

• pandanomic
    pandanomic
    Community Member

Shame that standard feature parity for android requires "votes" to be considered. Like, it's literally shameful.

• mikevanoo
    mikevanoo
    Community Member

I have to agree. As a Windows/Android/DropBox user this is a priority for me. Out in the real world Windows and Android have a much larger user base than OSX and iOS so "... planning on revisiting our plans for OPVault support soon..." is a big disappointment.

• Votes help us prioritize features and gives us a better understanding of what our users want to see. Our users play a big role in the development process of 1Password. :)

Just to add to Peri’s comment, OPVault is not yet the default format on Windows. We have it as the default in beta builds, but further testing is required before it can go into stable. This is a feature we plan to add into 1Password for Android, as well.

If you like to use OPVault right now on supported platforms, then you are welcome to use Wi-Fi sync on Android. This is a good workaround until official support becomes available for Dropbox and local storage sync options.

• nuckin42
    nuckin42
    Community Member

Nothing like dropping $70 to find out I can't use it on my phone with my Mac without leaking data.

Back to KeePass it is then until this is fixed

• Hi @nuckin42. Wi-Fi sync on Android uses an internal version of the OPVault format. If you wish to avoid using Agile Keychain right now, you can switch over to Wi-Fi sync on your Android device and switch to OPVault format on other platforms. :)

• squatch
    squatch
    Community Member

+1 for Android OPVault Dropbox sync support.

I'd rather not use the Agile Keychain format for added privacy.

The WiFi sync workaround is clunky since it's not automatic.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

Can I just add an up vote for OPvault to be added to android with Dropbox syncing.

I use mac also and was set to change from agile keychain to OPvault only to discover this thread, why is android so badly supported?

I paid for a mac and android license yet the latter does not seem to be a priority?

Please fix this.

• Thanks for the +1s, guys! It helps :)

We are working towards a major update to 1Password for Android and we will be releasing the beta really soon!

• phovey
    phovey
    Community Member

Looking at the changelog, I don't see anything relating to OPvault: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4 . I just bought 1password and went to sync with my android device, but was disappointed to find out I couldn't do it. Hopefully the update with OPvault comes out soon, I can't really use 1password until then...

• OPVault support is not in the current stable or beta version of 1Password on Android, @phovey. We are prioritizing it as much as we can at the moment, however, and hoping to support OPVault for Dropbox and local storage soon.

Wi-Fi sync uses an internal version of the OPVault format, so you can switch over to Wi-Fi sync on your Android device and switch to OPVault format on other platforms if you like. :)

• scottjohnson28
    scottjohnson28
    Community Member

I am having this same issue. I recently switched from an iPhone to Android and can't get the Android to sync with my 1Password iPhone Vault. Can you walk us through the process of how wi-fi sync works?

• mjmull
    mjmull
    Community Member

I would like to add my upvote for Android OPvault sync. I purchased 1Password for Mac on the understanding that it would sync seamlessly with both my iPad and Android phone. How soon can we expect the update that will allow this? Should I apply for a 30 day refund and repurchase when the feature is ready?

• ibicus
    ibicus
    Community Member

Having the same problem here :(
    Only reason why I bought 1Password was to sync passwords between a Mac and Android :( :(

1- Why the Hell don't you mention this on this page : https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ ?
    It says "Dropbox is a free service that allows you to sync your 1Password data everywhere, including Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and even Linux.", but in fact it ends up to be impossible...

2- Or... is it possible to make an agilekeychain Vault ? I can't find any info about it. I don't even understand what is the difference between .agilekeychain and .opvault. Some information is missing here.

This really looks like fooling people.
    :'(

• @ibicus, It is indeed still possible to create and sync an AgileKeychain vault between Mac and Android. Have you already created a vault (either OPVault or Agile Keychain) on either device? If you haven't already, go ahead and create a new vault on Android, but with the same Master Password that you use on Mac. Then open up the sync preferences for 1Password on Mac, disable sync, and then reenable Dropbox sync. This time, select the .agilekeychain that your Android just created. That should get your devices synced up. :)

Also, Wi-Fi sync uses an internal version of the OPVault format, so you can Wi-Fi sync between Mac and Android if you wish to avoid using AgileKeychain right now. Please give that a shot and let me know if it does the trick! I'll be happy to help troubleshoot further if you continue to have trouble getting sync configured.

@mjmull We never like to make promises with regards to unreleased features. There are so many potential wrenches that could be thrown into our gears at any time, and could delay or stall updates. We are prioritizing it as much as we can, though. :)

That said, if you'd like us to request a refund from the Play Store, please email us at support+android@agilebits.com and let us know the email address used for the purchase, and the order number if you have it. We'll see what we can do.

• JGus
    JGus
    Community Member

@peri,

I use a Mac as the main source for my vaults, I created a secondary vault for mobile devices as not all of my logins are used on my mobile devices. The "mobile" vault is synced with Dropbox and works fine for my IOS devices, but just noticed this thread as I was trying to sync to the same vault with my Android tablet. So first off, add my vote for OPVault support via Dropbox for Android.

Secondly, I don't want my primary vault synced to my mobile devices, so the Wi-Fi sync isn't an option until I have a choice not to select it.

So until this option is added, how do I create a new vault using the .agilekeychain format on the Mac version. I really don't want two secondary vaults containing the same data, but it sounds like that's my only option now. Can I duplicate the OPVault vault I have and change it to .agilekeychain? When I created the primary and secondary vaults, I don't remember seeing an option to change the formats between the two.

Thanks!

JGus

• JGus
    JGus
    Community Member

Disregard my question above, as soon as I left this thread I seen another thread discussing the change on the Mac side to OPVault with instructions to change between the two. But after reading about the security side, I may just wait until Android supports OPVault.

• Hi @JGus. Thanks for hopping in here. :)

I'm glad that you were able to find instructions for switching to AgileKeychain on your Mac. I'll absolutely add your support for OPVault! Let us know if you need anything else!

• acorath
    acorath
    Community Member

add me to the OPVault Dropbox Android vote list. My office recently started using 1Password to share certain credentials that are updated frequently. Unfortunately, the WiFi network is separate from our physical network, so WiFi sync won't work in this situation.

• I'll certainly pass your feedback along to the team, @acorath. Thanks!

• dand8468
    dand8468
    Community Member

I just paid to upgrade my Ipassword so I could sync across my iPad's and android phone. Now I'm angry...you folks have falsely advertised I could sync across all these devices. My android phone doesn't recognize the opvault. I don't' know how you can get away with such false advertising. I want my money back and I will blogging about this on all internet sites I can find. This is totally unethical.

Diana

• dand8468
    dand8468
    Community Member

I'm quite angry. I just finished upgrading my IPassword so I could sync across my Android phone and my iPads. Now I find it won't sync. I consider this false advertising and will be taking my complaint to the Better Business Bureau. As far as I'm concerned what this company has done it totally unethical and I want a full refund. It's too bad because I've been using IPassword for some time now. Shocked at the false advertising and the lack of ability to sync across devices.

Diana

• saad
    edited February 2016

Hi @dand8468. I’m sorry for the confusion. I would love to help you get your iPad and your Android device syncing your 1Password data.

OPVault format has recently become the default data format in 1Password for iOS. In the past, we used the AgileKeychain format to sync your data. 1Password for Android only supports the AgileKeychain format currently, but we plan to add OPVault support in the near future.

1Password on your iPad has full compatibility with syncing your data using AgileKeychain! :) Here is what you will need to do to switch to the AgileKeychain format to sync your Android device. Please follow the steps in this order:

1Password on your iPad

1. Launch 1Password on your iPad.
    2. Go into Settings > Sync > [Vault] > Sync Service (Dropbox) > Disable Sync
    3. Confirm disabling sync

1Password on Android

1. Launch 1Password for Android, and select I’m new to 1Password to create a new vault
    2. Go into Settings > Sync and enable Sync
    3. Select Sync using Dropbox, and give Dropbox permission
    4. 1Password for Android will not detect an AgileKeychain data folder, so it will ask you if you like to create one. Choose to create an AgileKeychain data folder!
    5. Wait for 1Password for Android to complete creating the data folder and finish syncing.

1Password on your iPad

1. Launch 1Password on your iPad.
    2. Go into Settings > Sync > [Vault] > Start Syncing
    3. Select Dropbox, and choose the newly created AgileKeychain on Android
    4. 1Password may warn that there is a vault mismatch. Tap More Info and then Merge to combine your iPad data with your Android!

And.. that's it! Your iPad and your Android device should be syncing with each other.

• bbach
    bbach
    Community Member

@saad As others have pointed out, I find the cavalier manner in recommending the flawed AgileKeychain to be troubling at best and going down the path of being dishonest/ misleading. @dand8468 has an issue that many people have also encountered. In my opinion, and has been echoed in other comments, at the very least if you are going to recommend the AgileKeychain, you should let them know what drawbacks exist, specifically regarding the "metadata" not being encrypted. Most people do not read the technical specification and may not have read articles about the concern. For me and many others, having the Titles and URL not encrypted in a security app is a complete deal breaker. It opens up a host of problems with regards to social engineering, choice regarding titles and much more. While this may not be an issue for everyone, for many it is and the AgileBits team agreed enough to make the change.

Why not recommend wifi syncing or even the teams beta since it is currently free? The teams beta appears to be opvault like in that user entered data is encrypted and is free? Again, each time this has come up and AgileKeychain is recommended, to me it seems prudent to point out the negative directly. Let the customer make the choice. Otherwise it appears to be add to the frustration of Android users around the poor messaging and lack of opvault support. 1Password defaults to opvault for a reason.

Finally - as a customer and follower of this forum for years, including when it was on the previous platform, we deserve better when it comes to communication around basic functionality. I would prefer to not rehash the history of examples, but it insulting to read various "soon" responses for something as critical and fundamental as file format supported on every platform except Android. Again, even teams has a similar format. Yet in watching, I've seen 6 months of requests with answers of varying "soon" responses for opvault support on Android. This is a repeated pattern specifically with opvault which saw soon actually resulting in years before the initial support. Further, even though I see opvault on Android requests 6 months ago one recent AgileBits response indicated there had not been much in the way of requests (when noting they would put it on the list). Many people are not aware of the AgileKeychain deficiencies nor even whether they are using opvault or AK. Many become aware only when they no longer can sync on Android, make a device switch etc. The whole debacle last fall around AgileKeychain proves the point when not only has the security design been published for years, JP and I (along with others) discussed those exact concerns nearly 6 years ago, if not before. That again falls on AgileBits to make it more clear all around regarding opvault support, AgileKeychain downsides and so on. As is stated to be a tenant of 1Password - transparent. All this "soon" talk, switch to AgileKeychain rec and frankly dismissive attitude regarding opvault on Android makes AgileBits come across poorly. While I think AgileBits is a trustworthy highly skilled company with positive intentions, many of the replies on this forum appear to be intentionally misleading by ommission (including "soon"), lacking sufficient knowledge to make statements or a bit of both.

This discussion has been closed.