Problems after resetting iphone

Options
lizweinstein
lizweinstein
Community Member

after my iphone was reset at the Apple store, 1Password app had a different (and older) vault on it. I can;t figure out how to find and sync the newer vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:icloud-troubleshooting

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@lizweinstein please give us some basic information so we can help. Please tell us:

• What version of 1Password for iOS you are using (the link will tell you how to find that information)
    • Your iOS version number
    • Whether you previously sync'd your 1P data to any other device and if so to what device
    • If relevant, what sync method you used to sync your 1P data (Dropbox, iCloud or wifi)
    • Whether you have a complete up-to-date set of your 1P data in a 1P for iOS backup or on any other device to which you previously sync'd your 1P data

Please answer all those questions and we'll be able to help you.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lizweinstein,

The questions asked by Stephen_C are all important and will hopefully allow us to assess the state of the situation. Once we hear back from you we can hopefully proceed from there.

• lizweinstein
    lizweinstein
    Community Member
    Options

Hi- here are the answers to your questions:

• 1Password. 6.1.2
    • IOS 9.2
    • Not synced to another device
    • Synced to iCloud
    • No

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lizweinstein: Thanks! While it isn't completely clear, there are a few likely possibilities, and perhaps solutions:

• It sounds like you restored your iPhone from an iCloud backup. This is separate — and very different — from iCloud Sync, as it involves all of the data on your device, not just specific apps that you've sync'd.
    • Therefore, it would seem that your iCloud backup was maybe older (iCloud backups can only be automatic when you're connected to power and Wi-Fi) than your newest 1Password data.
    • If so, you may be able to simply sync your data back to 1Password from your sync'd data in iCloud.
    • If not (if, for example, you hadn't sync'd for a while either), then without a backup of your 1Password data you're stuck with the data you already have.

With that in mind, please try the following:

1. Backup your current 1Password data
    2. Reset the data in 1Password (Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data)
    3. Open 1Password, choose Sync Existing Vault, and Setup iCloud Sync
    4. Stop and check your data: is this what you were looking for? If so, you're done!
    5. If not, disable sync and restore from the backup you made in step 1
    6. Let me know and we'll go from there

Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• lizweinstein
    lizweinstein
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks- very helpful. Before I do that I have a couple of questions. The vault I am looking for had a different password. So should I delete the 1Password app I currently have and download the app again before I sync it ?

• lizweinstein
    lizweinstein
    Community Member
    Options

Also. I don't recall purchasing Profeatures, although maybe I did if I set up 2 vaults ?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lizweinstein,

If an iOS iCloud backup was used to restore the iOS device, both 1Password for iOS and the vault as it was at the time would have been restored. What I'm unsure of is whether sync would have been disabled in 1Password when this happens. I know that if a user manually restores a 1Password backup we disable sync to allow the user to decide what now happens. The reason is if you've restored a backup there was probably a very good reason and having sync return you to the state you just threw away isn't a good thing. That's all possible when you restore from inside 1Password as we know the restore is happening.

So what I'm curious about is, when you say you sync to iCloud are you remembering that this is the case or do you know for certain if the copy of 1Password for iOS that you can open right now is definitely syncing as that is what it says? The easiest way to check is to open 1Password for iOS and look in Settings > Vaults > Primary and in there it should say if it is currently syncing and if so using what sync method.

If it isn't syncing to iCloud then it's possible we could reset 1Password for iOS and point a fresh copy to iCloud. Out of curiosity, do connect this iOS device to iTunes at all? The reason I ask is we can add a safety net of backing up the current vault just in case. I realise it isn't current but if the reset has somehow resulted in data being lost forever then a slightly old vault may be better than nothing. Obviously I hope this isn't the case but why take any risks when it comes to your vault.

Adding a second vault to 1Password for iOS would require 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows as you can't create a new vault even using the Pro features in 1Password for iOS. If you don't remember doing this then it would seem unlikely you had a secondary vault.

• lizweinstein
    lizweinstein
    Community Member
    Options

I checked and it says it is syncing with ICloud. I know I have 2 vaults because the most recent one I was using had a different log in.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @lizweinstein,

Given we're discussing a copy of 1Password that no longer exists after the reset by Apple the following is in some shape, partly guesswork based on what I understand of the 1Password for iOS app and iOS in general.

Secondary vaults can only be added to 1Password for iOS in Dropbox. If you have a Dropbox account then looking for a folder that ends in with .agilekeychain or .opvault would be a good move. If you find something it might be we have something to work with.

iCloud only allows syncing of the primary vault and if iCloud Sync is working properly right now then whatever is in iCloud will be what is in your vault right now. So I suspect removing 1Password and having a clean copy of 1Password connect to iCloud will only retrieve this old vault.

Everything above is based on 1Password behaviour. The following is the conjecture. I wonder if, for whatever reason. the old copy of 1Password became disconnected from iCloud at some point in the past. It would mean that anything created or altered after that point would not be in iCloud and would only exist in an iOS backup.

I don't know why Apple needed to reset your iOS device but at the moment I'm wondering if your only chance is if there still exists an iOS backup from before the reset, one that would contain your 1Password vault. The backup could be restored, a backup of the vault created from inside 1Password for iOS and then the iOS device restored to it's current state. I don't know for certain that this is feasible and depending on your level of comfort you may want Apple to assist (depending on how close they are).

I'm going to ping @brenty and we'll see if there is anything he can think of that I've missed.

• lizweinstein
    lizweinstein
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I agree that I should not have let The Apple "genius" restore my phone. He said he was backing it up first, but now I can't find the old backup and neither can anyone at Apple. Very frustrating!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks. I agree that I should not have let The Apple "genius" restore my phone. He said he was backing it up first, but now I can't find the old backup and neither can anyone at Apple. Very frustrating!!

@lizweinstein: Absolutely. But I wouldn't necessarily blame the Genius. They may very well have backed up the data, but as you say if you're not able to restore from it successfully (or find it), then that doesn't do you much good, regardless of their efforts. And of course blaming doesn't help get your data back. :(

I was recently advised by Apple to reset my iPhone as well, and I resisted because, well...I've got a lot accumulated there that I'm not willing to part with. Often for software problems the solution is to reset and/or set it up as a new device, but that wasn't something I was prepared to do at the time. Long story short, I ended up buying a new iPhone, the issues did not carry over from the old one, but the old one was still suffering from the same problem after being reset completely...so Apple replaced that one in the end. I feel your pain.

If an iOS iCloud backup was used to restore the iOS device, both 1Password for iOS and the vault as it was at the time should have been restored.

@littlebobbytables: I'm going to have to disagree with you here, I'm afraid. If I add a word in there (in bold), then I have no problem with the statement. :angry:

In my experience even when you do have a good iOS backup, the restore process is not 100% reliable — meaning that not all apps and data are restored successfully. Now, I don't have any way to tell what percentage of the time this fails, since the only time we at AgileBits hear about it is when it doesn't work and people lose their 1Password data in the process. Otherwise, I can only reference my own experiences with this: several missing apps on my own restore earlier this month, and some errors as well. 1Password wasn't one of the affected apps in this case though, and if memory serves, sync was unaffected...but your mileage may vary.

But...not a sufficiently representative sample, I'll warrant. And this, of course, is why we include our own backup and restore feature in 1Password itself. There's nothing worse than losing data (I know this from experience), and this is one thing we can do to help make sure that doesn't happen.

Thanks- very helpful. Before I do that I have a couple of questions. The vault I am looking for had a different password. So should I delete the 1Password app I currently have and download the app again before I sync it ?

When you setup sync, you'll be asked for the Master Password for the data there (in this case, iCloud) if it differs from the one you're using in the app, so no worries there!

Also. I don't recall purchasing Profeatures, although maybe I did if I set up 2 vaults ?

Unless theres some bug that we're not aware of, you'd really need Pro Features to use multiple vaults in 1Password for iOS. Another consideration is that iCloud can only sync the primary vault, so if you have more than one there and are not using a different method (Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync), then vaults other than the primary will not have been syncing.

I checked and it says it is syncing with ICloud. I know I have 2 vaults because the most recent one I was using had a different log in.

But there may simply be a misunderstanding here. Do you see more than one listed in 1Password Settings > Vaults? If not, then we're talking about something else. Without the Pro upgrade, you'll only have one listed there, and there will be a link to the Pro upgrade instead of an option to add another vault.

It sounds like you may simply be using one vault in 1Password now, and another — not currently present — which you were using previously, perhaps the one you're looking for in the first place.

Everything above is based on 1Password behaviour. The following is the conjecture. I wonder if, for whatever reason. the old copy of 1Password became disconnected from iCloud at some point in the past. It would mean that anything created or altered after that point would not be in iCloud and would only exist in an iOS backup.

lil bobby brings up an excellent point: is the data you have in 1Password now simply an older copy of the same vault you're looking for, or completely different? I had gotten the impression that it was just an old copy of the same data, but I want to be sure we're on the same page.

I wonder if, for whatever reason. the old copy of 1Password became disconnected from iCloud at some point in the past. It would mean that anything created or altered after that point would not be in iCloud and would only exist in an iOS backup.

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect it's either the data in the device backup that was restored was old, the data sync'd to iCloud was old, or both. If it's both, then there won't be anywhere to restore the newer data you're looking for, I'm afraid.

What I really want to avoid doing is giving you false hope, because the more we discuss this, the more it sounds like the data in iCloud is the data you're using now. So without another source, you may simply be right back where you started. However, I do stand by my earlier suggestion, since it won't affect anything else on your device, and if it doesn't get you your data back you're at least no worse off (since you'll have a fresh 1Password backup to restore from). However, if anything I've said here doesn't make sense to you, please let me know, just in case I've misunderstood you at some point. I don't think it's looking good for you right now, but I won't give up until we've exhausted all options. :)

• lizweinstein
    lizweinstein
    Community Member
    Options

Ok- I tried the suggestion of deleting the data in 1Password and re-syncing and it did not get me my lost data. I'm about to just give up, but one last question: when I erased the data and then opened up the app again, the app gave me the choice of creating a new vault or syncing to an existing vault. The vault I am missing is a new one that I had created when I already had a vault and had this option to create a new vault. So the vault I am looking for has a totally different password than the vault I am now getting from the cloud. Does this make any difference to your conjectures? Sorry if I wasn't clear about this earlier!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lizweinstein: Not a problem! Always best in these types of situations to be absolutely sure.

Unfortunately it sounds like you may be out of luck. If the vault in iCloud isn't the data you're looking for, and you don't have a backup of it (or a copy sync'd via Dropbox or Wi-Fi), then it doesn't sound like it exists anywhere any longer. Be sure to correct me if I've misunderstood, but it sounds like that is the case. :(

This discussion has been closed.