Multi Page Login Sequence Stop

Options
akissz
akissz
Community Member

I notice if you use main mini icon from osx menu bar is does the multi page login seamlessly, typing user and password on both pages. However, when using the web browser icon it only types the username, and you have to click the icon a second time for the password to load on the second page.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.5.1
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

I have never seen 1Password fill two separate pages after selecting a single Login just once. I just tried to reproduce it, but I cannot. The expected behavior is that you will need to explicitly fill a Login on each page, either by selecting it in 1Password mini (from either the OS X menu bar or the browser's toolbar since both of these launch the exact same code)…or by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut to fill on each page.

If you are seeing two pages filled in succession, could you provide the steps to reproduce including the URL where you are seeing that behavior? I'd love to investigate further. :)

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

I would rather not share the urls. But I will say it does not work this way for all multi page logins. I will add, the second page is a separate url for the password. The username form points to the second url, then it goes and types the password on the second page. I have both urls in the login info within 1password so it notices both. It surprised me also but It is functioning this way, and I love it, but like I said only from the main mini osx task bar. Maybe you can find out how it is doing this and add it to the web browser plugin.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back, @akissz.

It may be hard to reproduce without knowing the URL. I don't think we've ever seen that before. If you would be willing to share the URL privately, you could email it: support+forum@agilebits.com

Otherwise, we'll see what we can uncover without being able to see what you are seeing. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @akissz,

What browser do you use?

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I am a developer. I use all browsers. But the experience was in Firefox as its most used, for me. I want to know what code from the websites do you need to look at and I will send you the code.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

It's okay, we seem to have a bug that another user recently reported and it was in the Firefox extension. For the other user what they were reporting was that we were filling the username into the MFA field for a site called battle.net and I found it to be reproducible.

I suspect that if you were to try logging into a site that exhibits this behaviour in the various browsers that Firefox's behaviour should consistently differ from the other browsers.

ref: OPX-1064

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

A bug? No I was not exactly reporting this as a bug. It would be a beautiful feature if you can find it and make it function with multiple page logins.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

The reason I say bug is it's not the intended behaviour and in the case reported what it did was cause the login to fail. The particular site the person was reporting was only a multi-page login because of the MFA code and so having 1Password fill in a piece of information already filled from the first page is far from ideal. As it stands it's a bug whose behaviour hasn't adversely affected the sites you've used but could do so if you have sites where the second page is a 2FA or MFA request.

What I've done though is add your thoughts to a feature request to see a more automated approach to multi-page logins. I realise it's not quite the reason you joined us in the forums but we've noted your desire for a more reliable version of what you've seen in Firefox :smile:

ref: OPX-998

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would be a beautiful feature if you can find it and make it function with multiple page logins.

@akissz: I agree, but the problem here is the way that Google manages multiple logins, and this newish multi-page process on the whole, which almost always requires user interaction — often in the form of mouse clicks (or taps, for touchscreen devices).

For example, it used to be that I could force a password form for a particular account by using a URL like this:

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&sacu=1&passive=1209600&acui=4#Email=username@somewebsite.com

Note the 'email address' in the URL. This used to bring me to a password entry page for that particular account, so I had one of these set up for each of my logins in 1Password.

However, it now seems like a crapshoot whether that will work or not. Using that URL right now for one login inexplicably brings me to a page for my personal Gmail address, and of course entering my other password there won't do much good.

I guess my point is, even if we make it possible for 1Password to fill on two subsequent pages with one keystroke, it won't solve this problem; and we'll just have different problems — for instance, filling the wrong Google Account because the password page is defaulting to another. Good grief.

I'd love to be wrong about this. Maybe there's some magic Google-specific solution I'm overlooking. We'll certainly continue to pursue this, but at this time I can't see that there's much hope, since there doesn't seem to be a way to reliably go to an account-agnostic login page, or a password form for a specific account. :angry:

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@brenty : Google doesn't use multi page logins. Theirs are javascript and or html5.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@akissz: This is the first URL ("web page", in common parlance):

https://accounts.google.com/AccountChooser?continue=http://mail.google.com/mail&hl=en&service=mail

which is followed by one or two others in most cases, depending on a few factors, it seems:

https://accounts.google.com/AddSession?sacu=1&service=mail#identifier

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&sacu=1&passive=1209600&acui=4#Email=username@website.com

Given the rather complex nature of the current Google login process, I'm not surprised that it causes some confusion. Whew. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.