I lost my license in iTunes. Can't redownload the app

joh_annes
joh_annes
Community Member
edited December 2015 in iOS

I got a first generation iPad running iOS 5.1.1; Can't redownload from App Store (iOS 9) required; works on iPod touch (iOS 6.1.6); App not downloaded do iTunes

1Password Version: 4.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 5.1.1; iOS 6.1.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: ug:ios/, kb-search:itunes, kb:lost-license

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joh_annes: Sorry for the confusion! It isn't possible to download old versions of apps from the App Store. 1Password 6 requires iOS 9 and is the only version that Apple currently offers there. The only way to get it is if you have a copy on another device that you can sync back. Do you have a copy of it somewhere else?

• joh_annes
    joh_annes
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

yes, it's installed on my iPod , but for some reason it doesn't sync it back to iTunes . Unfortunately I don't have an other copy of the app.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @joh_annes,

It took a bit of digging as we don't seem to have an easily but I believe 1Password 4 for iOS did require iOS 6. That's important because when you see 1Password for iOS in the iTunes store right now that entry goes all the way back to 1Password 4 for iOS. In theory the idea is you could have 1Password 6 for iOS on a device running iOS 9 and when you download the purchased item on a device running an older version of iOS the App Store should say :hey, you can't run 1Password 6 for iOS, can I download an older version for you?". It can only access older versions that it knows about though.

So here's the kicker. There was a 1Password 3 for iOS but we had to remove it from iTunes when we released 1Password 4 for iOS. It's just the way iTunes works. People who had already purchased 1Password 3 for iOS could still access it but nobody could now buy the older version. I believe to get 1Password on your first generation iPad you would have needed to have purchased either 1Password for iPad or 1Password Pro before 1Password 3 was removed from the iTunes store back in 2012.

It seems there is a strong possibility that you may not be able to have 1Password on this older iPad I'm afraid, which does seem to be running the latest version of iOS Apple will allow.

I do apologise for bringing what seems like bad news. Of course if you did purchase either 1Password for iPad or 1Password Pro years ago then hopefully it's about figuring out why you can't still see the purchase.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joh_annes: Whoa. This just blew my mind. It used to be that 1Password touch/Pro version 3 was not visible in my purchase history, and I believed it to be gone forever. However, after reading lil bobby's reply I had some doubt and thought I should check again.

I was able to find and install both 1Password for iPhone and 1Password Pro version 3 by going to App Store > Updates > Purchased > My Purchases (for Family Sharing) > All, and then pulling down in order to search for "1password". So if you're using the correct Apple ID, this should work for you too!*

Now, it may be that this has always been the case, and there was simply an issue with my Apple ID in the past, because I definitely didn't used to be able to redownload them. As a result, I'd backed up copies of each app in case I needed them. But I suspect that this is part of changes Apple has made to the App Store since.

*There is catch though. You may need to do this on a newer device, and then sync the app to the old one. The App Store's "latest compatible version" feature is supposed to work all the way back to iOS 4.3.3, but I haven't had any luck getting it to work prior to iOS 8 — possibly because I have a rather large app library, and prior to that the App Store app wouldn't even _load_ my purchase history.

Ultimately, if you're still having trouble syncing apps from iTunes to your devices, you'll need to contact Apple for assistance, but this revelation at least offers some hope that it may be possible to download the app again if necessary to do so. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.