Firefox extension installation connection error [Disable Avast Web Shield]

Options
riegelstamm
riegelstamm
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

I'm unable to download a new version because the secure connection to that page failed. The secure connection to the agilebits.com main page also fails. How do I resolve this?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Disabled
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:firefox extension

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@riegelstamm you could try downloading the extension using Safari and then install it manually in Firefox. (There was a recent long—and slightly inconclusive—thread about "secure connection failures" in the Lounge which may be of general interest.)

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@riegelstamm: Check your security settings in — Firefox and any other software that might be interfering. If the browser cannot make a secure connection to agilebits.com, you will not be able to install the extension — or anything — from our website. For example, one user had previously modified their TLS settings; another had an invalid certificate installed by some other software. Please let us know what you find! :)

• riegelstamm
    riegelstamm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I searched this forum but didn't find the thread linked by Stephen. I'll move my discussion there.

• schade_chr
    schade_chr
    Community Member
    Options

Mozilla says the reason for this is that the 1Password extension was not signed by the developer:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Distribution

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @schade_chr,

The extension for 1Password 4/5 has been signed and working with Firefox 40+ for several months now (specifically, since version 4.4.3 of the extension, released August 25, 2015). I just removed the extension from Firefox and reinstalled the latest version with no trouble at all. Are you having trouble downloading the extension, or trouble using it once it is installed? If you're having trouble with the extension, please let us know a few more details:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What are the exact steps you take to (try to) install the 1Password extension, and what happens when you do that?
    • If you get any error messages, what exactly do they say?

Thanks in advance!

• schade_chr
    schade_chr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG : this is my use case:

I have been using 1Password extension for a long time on both Firefox and Chrome on El Capitain 10.11.1.

1Password app: 1Password (works fine)
    Version 5.4 (540046)
    Mac App Store

Chrome Version 47.0.2526.106 (64-bit) (works fine)

Firefox 40.0.3
    The extension stopped working and is now gone from the Firefox browser window, I did not attempt an install, since I had it running already. It is still installed has be deactivated by the browser and the only option is to remove it, could not be verified etc. You wouldn't be able to read the error message since it is in Danish :-).

• schade_chr
    schade_chr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG I tried uninstalling and reinstaling the extension in fireforx by following the link in the Firefox extension library and pressing the Big Green Button - this leads med to https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=false

It cannot be downloaded because of a connection error. I tried the alternate location as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@schade_chr: Please see my post here for a more thorough explanation, but suffice to say that if you're unable to connect to agilebits.com, there's a deeper issue: either 'security' software, malware, or some other configuration issue is preventing your browser from establishing a direct connection to our site. Unfortunately you have a lot more information on how your computer is setup than we will, so your guess will be much better than ours when it comes to what could be the culprit in your particular case. Please let us know what you find!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@schade_chr,

Be sure to update to the current version of Firefox which is 43.0.3.

• schade_chr
    schade_chr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty and @khad and @Drew_AG - I found a workaround as follows:

1. Uninstall 1Password extension from Firefox
    2. Turn off web shield in Avast
    3. Reinstall 1Password extension in Firefox
    4. Turn on web shield in Avast
    5. Bob's your uncle

Clearly avast does not like Agilebits.

Happy new year

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah! That is absolutely correct, @schade_chr.

I thought perhaps it was in this very thread, but it must have been mentioned elsewhere. Avast Web Shield will block the installation for some reason. We're trying to contact them about the problem in their software.

I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out. Have a great rest of your week and a lovely New Year!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@schade_chr: To be clear, the problem isn't that Avast doesn't like 1Password or AgileBits; rather, agilebits.com requires a secure connection, and Avast's "Web Shield" feature breaks HTTPS security on all websites. You can read a more detailed explanation here:

Can't access agilebits.com

Knowledge is power. I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.