secure notes - Can't add records

Options

Hi Folks,
Probably a dumb question......
I am trying to use Secure notes, for the first time. Have got to the stage where I can create fields, but can't see how to add records.
Have read the User Notes and had a search of Help - is there any "How to" information, regarding this feature?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:secure notes

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bojags: Sorry for the confusion! I'm not sure what you mean by 'records', but you can just click New Item at the top, select Secure Note, and then give your note a name and some, well...notes that you want to keep secure in 1Password:

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bojags
    bojags
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply, Brenty.
    I have no trouble getting to the point you show.
    However; It appears (to me) that you can create a table/database, by going to 'Add Section'.
    I've gone there and added some fields (as shown in the attachment) but can't proceed any further.
    Perhaps I am not understanding this feature - not all that rare for me :blush:
    Thanks again, Regards, bojags

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bojags: I'm sorry to drag this on, but I think that perhaps I am not understanding what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to create multiple "Notes" fields for this Secure Note? If so, that might be where we're going over each others heads. A Secure Note contains a single freeform "note" area: the second field from the top (after title):

This is the functional equivalent of a text document, except it's stored encrypted inside your 1Password vault. You can, however, add additional metadata such as tags, as well as custom sections and fields, but these are for individual pieces of information — the same as any other item in 1Password — as opposed to the eponymously secure note itself.

Let me know what you had in mind and I'll see if I can offer other suggestions. :)

• bojags
    bojags
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Buddy - I obviously had a basic misunderstanding of this area - still have no idea as to the purpose of the customized fields, but that is OK. Was probably trying to make too much of this feature. Love the product and your support. I can store everything I need in the basic text file..Thanks again for your help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bojags: Ah, I'm sorry for the confusion! I think part of the problem is it's pretty open-ended: there is no "right" way to store information in 1Password, except in very specific cases like Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards (since they're used for filling).

One tip I'll give is that I like to use individual fields to store small snippets of information that I might want to copy quickly, rather than having to select it from a large list. Perhaps that's something you might find useful!

Anyway, you're very welcome. And thank you for the kind words! be sure to reach out if you have any questions at all. We're always here to help! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.