Can not sync between iOS and Android.

Options
drsanjaymd
drsanjaymd
Community Member

I have Iphone 6Plus running latest iOS. Have had 1password for a long time. I recently got Nexus 6P and got 1password for that. I thought I could sync the data from Iphone to my nexus device. Iphone data is synced to drop box on Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault which contains a number of files band_0, band_1 and so on.

My Nexus is running the latest android. Trying the sync - Nexus opens drop box but gives error about not finding the 1password data.

So I made a new vault in 1Password in Nexus and synced that to the same drop box account. That is synced to

Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and the data in that folder contains a subfolder called "data" and a file called "1Password". The subfolder "data" contains subfolder "default" which contains more files.

So no wonder the android device can not sync to the backup created by iOS. iOS and android appear to be creating different format backups.

So my question is what is wrong? why the most recent 1Password from the same company agilebits are creating different format back ups which is hindering cross platform syncing.

All help will be highly appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.1.2 (iOS), 4.5.3(android)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• drsanjaymd
    drsanjaymd
    Community Member
    Options

I will answer my own question here. Takes a little bit of digging around. Apparently there are 2 types of syncing vaults - agilekeychain (old one) and opvault (new one).

I installed 1password for windows (trial version) which syncs to the opvault version synced from my iphone on dropbox and opens it fine.

I then exported this to 1Password interchange file (.pif) format.

.pif is not encrypted so you must delete it after you use it and do not do it on a public PC

I then deleted the windows data and created a new vault importing the .pif format.

Then go under file menu of 1password for windows and chose preferences. That has an option of "move to dropbox". chose that one.

This creates agilekeychain format data on dropbox.

Now use sync on android version to bring this over.

If you want to keep android and iOS data in sync - we will need to wait for android version to create and access opvault version.

To take data to iOS - I think the same procedure will work in reverse.

This is not user friendly and requires people to be a little tech savvy. NOT GOOD.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @drsanjaymd. Glad to hear you were able to get this working. We do hope to add OPVault support with Dropbox to 1Password for Android in the future so that this isn't necessary.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.